Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Rinde
Rinde began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Bebook crashes regularly

Hi all,

I bought a Bebook Reader a couple of weeks ago and I'm having some troubles with it. In the first week that I got it, all the books that I transferred to it were suddenly gone. Recent files was empty and I had to reformat my Bebook when I connected it to my computer. But, this has only happened once.

Unfortunately, it crashes regularly (almost every day), the light stays green for a while and the Bebook reboots. Sometimes the light stays red and I have to use a paperclip on the reset button to get it working again (not every day, but very often).

Is this common, or is there something wrong with my Bebook?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rinde

Ps. I don't use an SD card, the books on my Bebook are all prc format, but the crashes did happen with other formats also. I have the bebook firmware from february 2009.
Rinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinde View Post
Is this common, or is there something wrong with my Bebook?
I used to have similar problems, but not nearly as bad as you describe. FWIW, the problem has been said to be coming from formatting issues in particularly badly formatted books. Since I switched to OpenInkpot, all those problems stopped, so I think that it could possibly be a BeBook firmware problem.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Rinde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Since I switched to OpenInkpot, all those problems stopped, so I think that it could possibly be a BeBook firmware problem.
Thank you for your fast response. I will try the OpenInktpot firmware.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for your fast response. I will try the OpenInktpot firmware.
Please take note that OpenInkpot does NOT support any DRM method. If you need to read DRMed books you will need one of the Jinke/Hanlin based firmware distributions. Since FLASHing firmware is quite easy on the BeBook, you can try some of the different firmware available on the net to see what best suits your needs. For me, it was OpenInkpot.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Rinde

I've installed the OpenInkpot firmware succesfully, but I'm having some trouble bookmarking pages. How does that work for prc files?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
This is a "known" problem with the bebook and something that happens frequuently too me, no matter what format i am reading in.

Don't know if it will be adressed since the developers seems more interested in supporting new formats instead of fixing the problems with the current ones. For instance the super/subscript problem with RTF files etc etc.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
I've installed the OpenInkpot firmware succesfully, but I'm having some trouble bookmarking pages. How does that work for prc files?
Which version have you installed?
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Rinde

I've installed version 0.1
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
WOW!!!! That is a moldy oldie!!!!

Reading the User Guide for 0.1 I do not even see any support for bookmarks, but then I may be a little blind? OI has advanced some since then, and the 20090326 snapshot does have bookmarks. Being more adventurous, I am using the 20090815 snapshot which is a major change from the March snapshot. So if bookmarks are important to you, you may want to look at the 20090326 snapshot, and pick up it's Users Guide at the same time.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I've never used version 0.1 myself, but it looks from the User Guide that it doesn't have a bookmark function yet. You'll do much better if you install a pre-0.2 version - either the March version that's linked from here, or this May snapshot is pretty good (but only exists as an installable version, not live).

Edit: OK, I came in second, but I've got links

Last edited by idle; 08-17-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Rinde

Thank you both for your help. I installed the 0.1 version because I thought the 0.2 was a beta version. But I'm installing it now
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Edit: OK, I came in second, but I've got links
I am sorry that I stepped on your reply!
I will try to be more careful in the future.

But you are right, your links were probably much more helpful.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Thank you both for your help. I installed the 0.1 version because I thought the 0.2 was a beta version. But I'm installing it now
The snapshots probably should be considered beta versions, but in my experience so far, an OpenInkpot snapshot has always been very reliable. I have a lot of respect for the people working on that project.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
idle
I Do Like Ebooks

These snapshots are beta, but much more advanced than the 0.1 version and I can't remember any drawbacks.
I wouldn't recommend you the August snapshots though, because (as Dave_S already said) there's been a major change and some functions have temporarily disappeared until they're rewritten too.