Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
BakaTensai
BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This again?? Paperwhite screen issues...

Hi guys and gals! First post here... wanted some advice on whether or not to attempt exchanging my paperwhite. There are several threads here (I've read many of them) discussing the blotches and uneven lighting on the paperwhite. Mine seems to be suffering with some of these problems... I'll add some images here. I guess what I'm asking is if my device is basically on par with what is out there, i.e. if I return it can I expect something better? I hate having to deal with things like this, but honestly having a big yellow blotch on the left of my otherwise bluish white screen is very distracting. Maybe I would get used to it with time, but if there is a chance at a better device I'll take it. Thanks everyone.
The images below: two are medium brightness in a dark room, one is max brightness in the same room, and other one with text is high brightness in a brighter room. The issues are most evident in the dark room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121130_222255.jpg
Views:	2425
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	97090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121201_094410.jpg
Views:	2146
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	97091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121130_222251.jpg
Views:	1693
Size:	958.6 KB
ID:	97092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121201_094109.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	811.0 KB
ID:	97093  
BakaTensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
It seems a continuum - screens on PW go from white to rainbow - with everywhere in between.
But yours is close to the 'rainbow' side of things.
I hate dealing with returns (and I did not return mine, which is not perfect either - but more uniform than yours) - but, in this case, it seems warranted.

The only note is - my screen got much better after 3-4 days of usage. I am not sure if it was some sort of burn-in (perhaps of glue residues?) - but my screen got progressively better over the first days. And no, it was not just me getting used to it.

So maybe waiting a couple of days might be a good idea? Unless you had the device for a while already...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
BakaTensai
BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had it a couple of weeks, but haven't been doing a lot of reading on it until recently. I noticed the issues more and more as I was reading, then started doing some googling and found out this is a widespread issue. If anything, it seems to be getting worse over time! But then again, it could be that I am getting more sensitive to the patches as time goes on.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My large blue blotch was much reduced after I thoroughly cleaned the screen with a glass cleaning spray.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
BakaTensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My large blue blotch was much reduced after I thoroughly cleaned the screen with a glass cleaning spray.
OK, just took some glasses cleaner and a microfiber cloth to the screen. I was momentarily excited, as it looked like it worked! But as I looked at the screen longer I realized that that while it might have removed some obvious fingerprints, the large yellow splotch was still there, as well as most of the unevenness
Old 12-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you want a new one, just send in the return as defective and Amazon will pay shipping both ways.

Then just buy a new PW. It seems new ones have a better chance of being better than exchanges.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
BakaTensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you want a new one, just send in the return as defective and Amazon will pay shipping both ways.

Then just buy a new PW. It seems new ones have a better chance of being better than exchanges.
So you mean return it for a refund, then buy it again? I got this one as a gift, so I don't know how that would work? Also I think that it might be out of the 30 day return period... I'll have to check on that. I read that they may be sending out refurbs for exchanges... that leaves me with an uneasy feeling...
Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
BakaTensai

Should I email Amazon so there is a record of this issue? I'm not convinced that I want a replacement right now, I may want to wait for newer batches, but maybe it would be good to have in their database that I'm not satisfied with the product?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One year for defectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTensai View Post
So you mean return it for a refund, then buy it again? I got this one as a gift, so I don't know how that would work? Also I think that it might be out of the 30 day return period... I'll have to check on that. I read that they may be sending out refurbs for exchanges... that leaves me with an uneasy feeling...
Defective units have one year for a return. If there is nothing wrong, one has 30 days to cancel the purchase but then one is charged one way shipping.

If you did not purchase the unit, I am not sure what Amazon's policy is.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Well, this is the standard light. It's not even, as even disclaimed in Kindle Paperwhite product page on Amazon (this link).
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I would definitely change that PW. It looks very patchy and would be v distracting to me. Color deviations can lead to some eye strain as the text seems darker against the bluer regions. Plus, it's just ugly when reading from a tainted surface... Depends on how sensitive you are, but as amazon provide good replacement or refund services you should avail of them.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
BakaTensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Well, this is the standard light. It's not even, as even disclaimed in Kindle Paperwhite product page on Amazon (this link).
I'm completely OK with the uneven lighting on the bottom. What bothers me is the discoloration and blotchyness across the entire screen. The yellow patch on the left of the screen is particularly distracting.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
No, this is NOT standard. My PW is far from perfect, but it's not as uneven as that.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
If I were you, I would either ask for a placement or send it back and defective and try again later, if you can bear not having a PW for a while. I loved the interface so much that I could not fathom just asking for a refund, and therefore had my fair share of replacements until I settled on the ones I can live with: one with very very faint blotches, one with detectable but faint blotches and a hole in the screen, and one that has an almost even pink hue over-all, with only a bit of green (that last one, I decided to keep because I was asked for one as a very last-minute present and it was the least bad one of the 5 devices I was about to return) .

I find that there is a diffence in the type of "bruises" you see, and yelow-blue, to me, are the most unpleasant ones. The all pink one is easier on the eyes.

So, yes, I do have one that is almost perfect, and the conviction that such a unit exists is what kept me going. Someone else here gave up on Amazon replacements, but ended up buying one in BB or Staples and said her screen is perfect and blotchless, so you can try to get one in a store and send yours back for a refund, maybe? Worst-case: the store bought one is just as bad or worse (oh yes, there is worse, and I've had it) and you return/exchange it as well.

Last edited by xendula; 12-02-2012 at 01:49 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

You folks have screen appearance problems and I can't run active content programs on my Paperwhite without Speical Offers.

My guess is in October/2013 we will see the PERFECT Paperwhite 2. Until then lots of tolerance is required. I'll buy the PW2 then and give away my present PW.

I'm glad I own a PW AND a KFHD7-32. Each one complements the other in what is missing and what is available.