Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #241
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
As I said in another thread, I think Samsung is fed up with Apple's antics and are pulling out all the stops. Particularly in their recent ads:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...new-attack-ad/
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #242
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
As I said in another thread, I think Samsung is fed up with Apple's antics and are pulling out all the stops. Particularly in their recent ads:

Clever ads

"The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom!"
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #243
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:

They were doing this before the lawsuit. And they appeal to people who already dislike Apple.

I thought the aim was to get people to want your product.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #244
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It's amazing how often this is ignored. I used a series of wonderful Palm handhelds for years before the iPhone. Candy bar form factor, touch sensitive, screens of colourful icons arranged in a grid, app store, all the standard functionality.
They should sue. I don't think IP owners have a case myself -- and if they thought they could they would.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #245
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
They were doing this before the lawsuit. And they appeal to people who already dislike Apple.

I thought the aim was to get people to want your product.
Well, I thought it was effective in showing that there is an alternative with more functionality. Some people seems to buy iPhone just out of habit or because of the perceived lock-in.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #246
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Some people seems to buy iPhone just out of habit or because of the perceived lock-in.
I'd like to see a competent survey that answers why people buy iPhone.

Most people think its a negative reason.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #247
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
They should sue. I don't think IP owners have a case myself -- and if they thought they could they would.
My comment wasn't intended as a snark saying that iOS had 'cloned' Palm OS, just exactly what I said: that Palm OS is rarely brought up in these discussions, which tend to focus on the history of phones pre-iPhone.

PDAs like the Palm OS devices and the Pocket PC devices like the iPaq are the real prior art for modern smartphones.

Regarding litigation, Palm no longer exists to do any suing, having been bought by HP. Presumably any Palm OS patents were transferred to HP, but by then they'd developed their new system, webOS. There's been speculation on whether HP have grounds for litigation within those ex-Palm patents, but I'd agree with you that unless something amazingly generic had been granted it's likely that there's no serious infringement within iOS or Android.

Graham
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #248
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:

It's kind of disappointing that they didn't bring up the aspect ratio. After hearing so often on MR people insisting that the iThing 4:3 ratio is clearly superior to 16:9 or 16:10, I was expecting to hear some comment about it. This side of the changes has been mysteriously quiet.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #249
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
After hearing so often on MR people insisting that the iThing 4:3 ratio is clearly superior to 16:9 or 16:10
A lot of people still do. I know a diehard iphone fan who won't upgrade because he doesn't like this change.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #250
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A lot of people still do. I know a diehard iphone fan who won't upgrade because he doesn't like this change.
It might be because of this:

I find it funny that the speculation about a mini iPad from a while back was centered around Apple sticking to the same aspect ratio.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #251
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

No, he doesn't use cases. Or have accessories.

He says he like size as was and that it was perfect. Just outside of warranty, Apple just gave him a brand new 4S to replace one he accidently injured, so with care he will be ok for a few years before having to change.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #252
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Certainly I find the new iPod Touch less appealing that the 3rd or 4th gen because of the aspect ratio change.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #253
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
No, he doesn't use cases. Or have accessories.

He says he like size as was and that it was perfect. Just outside of warranty, Apple just gave him a brand new 4S to replace one he accidently injured, so with care he will be ok for a few years before having to change.
Doesn't Apple sell older model phones?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #254
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Yes. I mean he will not be forced off of smaller form factor for a long time.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #255
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
It's kind of disappointing that they didn't bring up the aspect ratio. After hearing so often on MR people insisting that the iThing 4:3 ratio is clearly superior to 16:9 or 16:10, I was expecting to hear some comment about it. This side of the changes has been mysteriously quiet.
Just a clarification, the old iPhone was a 3:2 aspect ratio, which is the standard for photographs, the iPad is 4:3.

There's still a place for those aspect ratios, but for a media consumption device I strongly prefer 16:9.
Closed Thread