Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Teddy
Teddy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Impossible to install DUOKAN on firmware 3.1

Hello everybody,

I just updated my Kindle 3 to 3.1 firmware.

Then I tried to install Duokan from (http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/) but doesn't work!!

So it seems impossible to install Duokan after the update to offcial firmare 3.1.

The message is something like: "the update was not succesful".
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Of course! DUOKAN uses same install method as Jailbreak and Amazon has fixed it
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
Of course! DUOKAN uses same install method as Jailbreak and Amazon has fixed it
Do you think they will fix with new Duokan firmware?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Does that mean if you already had Duokan installed before the update your kindle is still jailbroken?
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
Does that mean if you already had Duokan installed before the update your kindle is still jailbroken?
The update process that all the hacks used has been altered by Amazon so currently 3.1 will refuse to install anything which isn't official even if you do have USB networking, Launchpad, Duokan or whatever.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The update process that all the hacks used has been altered by Amazon so currently 3.1 will refuse to install anything which isn't official even if you do have USB networking, Launchpad, Duokan or whatever.
Is it possible to downgrade to previus firmware?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Teddy,
No, there is no easy way to revert to 3.0.3 (Only via Searial console and if you have full Kindle backup)
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Teddy

Quote:
Teddy,
No, there is no easy way to revert to 3.0.3 (Only via Searial console and if you have full Kindle backup)
So no Duokan anymore? It's a pity.

I wanted to try the PDF improvement being the Kindle original one really poor.

Do chineese fix this problem in your opinion? I'm not an expert so I don't know if this 3.1 firmware killed for ever any further developement.

regrads
Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
jahsun13
jahsun13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX B009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
So no Duokan anymore? It's a pity.

I wanted to try the PDF improvement being the Kindle original one really poor.

Do Chinese fix this problem in your opinion? I'm not an expert so I don't know if this 3.1 firmware killed for ever any further development.

regards
I don't think it is "no Duokan" now, We just have to be careful to not install the new firmware. Does Amazon get sneaky and install without owner's control? I live out in the country with no signal and I always have wireless off anyway, so My firmware in quite old, down in the mid twos.
It is crucial that this gets fixed though(I beg the developer to find an exploit to jailbreak the 3.1.
I can't stand this proprietary game of limiting people's creativity on their devices, if we take the time make our own software, we should be able to use how we like and corporations just spitefully close the holes often for no other reason an update comes out. ( it is really a trend started by APPLE.(Jobs was always selfish, but I loved his products) I love Kindles but Amazon really dropped the ball on kindle, only old ones are good, paper-whites and the Fires suck in my opinion, dropping Text To Speech(TTS) and the big E-ink screen. I love my DXs, both of the models. I am bummed they are discontinued. I love the TTS, and am excited with the voice package that Duokan enables. anybody got a link, advice or a good hack to share for a jail broken DX?
Thanks
I wish Amazon would just not be limiting us for fears about us not listening to audiobooks if we had great Text to Speech, I still would listen, the actors are great, but many things I read will never be released as audiobooks. I also think a big e-ink touchscreen would be good, but this why we keep the hacks alive, because they are only concerned about endless growth and planned obsolescence.

PS: I doubt Amazon closed every exploit with 3.1, there is almost always a way, it may be always and we just haven't found em yet, but even with apple's best effort by going all the way to putting in NEW hardware in place of firmware and it still didn't work within a year a loophole was found around it, So that's our saving grace in these fascist times, the hackers can find a way! ( Look at Anonymous with the Federal Reserve after-all) Hurrah!

Last edited by jahsun13; 05-14-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Mispellings and bad grammar
jahsun13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
jahsun13
jahsun13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX B009
What is a console and full back up?

Quote:
Teddy,
You seem to be in the know, Are these things easy to acheive, I's like to be prepared. I can't lose access to Duokan.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Jahsun
PS I hope this thread is not too old to atteract attention.
I have only been into Kindle for 6 months,.
jahsun13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@everybody in this thread:

1) KUBRICK your K3 - that will install a 3.4 version software with jailbreak
2) Continue on as if you never heard of 3.1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote