Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #36676
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Can you recommend a good (not too expensive) programme for doing basic photo editing? I though I had one installed but I can't find it anywhere.
How about free? Try 'GIMP' http://www.gimp.org/ It can do almost as much as Photoshop (at least for the photographer,) looks and handles in quite the same way, and produces excellent results. And best, it is completely free!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #36677
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Trying to work out a class schedule for next semester.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #36678
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
What is your major?

Curled up with my blanket and drinking hot chocolate.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #36679
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Trying to work out a class schedule for next semester.
This early? I have 2 months before I get to do mine, they give us only two weeks to plan our schedules, and we can only register for courses online on the university's website and every time the servers break down because of web traffic. On top of that, there's a limit in the number of students that can be registered in a course, they give us a specific time and date when we can start, each student readies her/his laptop and when it's time, they all login at the same time and start registering, gets really stressful. And when the website goes down, all hell breaks loose.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #36680
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Just ordered my new printer/all-in-one at my local Staples, they should get 3 of them tomorrow. I probably can't go there until Monday so they are going to put one aside for me.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #36681
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are times I remind myself that 42 is not that old....

When I had to register for classes, we were given a time. We would go to the designated spot, wait in line, go to the tables that housed the classes we wanted, and sign up on a piece of paper. I always got the first time slot for my class (I have learning disabilities so there were some classes that would be a great deal harder for me to take and fill my requirements then others so I got first pick. Challenge myself or easy route. I went for challenge myself but still went in early so I could get my prefered classes for my major). Registration was as much a social event as it was picking classes.

And there was always the excitement of getting lucky and getting the last spot in the coveted class with the awesome professor that some how was open.

I did not get an email account until I was in grad school and I don't think there was online registration until pretty close to when I finished grad school.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #36682
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

When I had to register for classes, we were given a time. We would go to the designated spot, wait in line, go to the tables that housed the classes we wanted, and sign up on a piece of paper. I always got the first time slot for my class (I have learning disabilities so there were some classes that would be a great deal harder for me to take and fill my requirements then others so I got first pick. Challenge myself or easy route. I went for challenge myself but still went in early so I could get my prefered classes for my major). Registration was as much a social event as it was picking classes.

And there was always the excitement of getting lucky and getting the last spot in the coveted class with the awesome professor that some how was open.

I did not get an email account until I was in grad school and I don't think there was online registration until pretty close to when I finished grad school.
Oh how I wish it were like that!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #36683
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Everything up to age 50 is just rehearsal.

Quote:
Although I had a Vic 20 'computer' by 1981-2, I never had a computer nor e-mail until 1990, when I got my first 'real' computer to write my thesis for grad school. 'WordPerfect,' complete with template to go over the function keys, and a hotmail account. But I never had to play the registration game. I went to a very tiny college for my undergraduate degrees, with never more than 8-10 people in a class, then later, although a large university, for grad school my classes were per-programed for me by the department. I just had to sign my name and tell them to send the bill to the VA.

Stitchawl
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #36684
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Right now I'm on lunch break from a retirement class I'm taking in preparation for the big day 44 days from now. As the ATM decided it had already dispensed all the money it was going to before I arrived at it this morning, I had to get a day's worth of nonperishable munchies from the local convenience store where I could use a credit card. My doctor would hit the roof right now if I were to have a sugar level test right about now. I've eaten enough sweet stuff from the convenience store today to last a lifetime. I'll probably need to amputate a limb or two on the way home.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #36685
Stitchawl
Opsimath

The idea of 'retirement classes' is fantastic! There really needs to be some purpose in life, especially after 20-30 years of being productive. I've seen far too many retired people here wandering aimlessly, wondering 'is this what it's all about?' All too many of them wind up as what is called the 'typical Chiang Mai ex-pat,' sitting in the bar at 10:30 in the morning, staring into their first beer of the day, falling asleep by noon, only to wake up back at the bar by 5pm wondering which bar girl they are going to chat up and pay for this time! They tend to die off rather quickly, either of boredom, poor health or by their own hand.

Between plans for being constructive and productive, financial planning, emotional counseling for no longer being 'needed' or being the 'Big Wheel,' plans for keeping out of your spouse's hair, etc., etc., suddenly having an extra 40-50 hours a week to fill can be daunting!

On the other hand, sometimes I think I should go back to work... just so I can get some rest!

Stitchawl
Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #36686
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
How about free? Try 'GIMP' http://www.gimp.org/ It can do almost as much as Photoshop (at least for the photographer,) looks and handles in quite the same way, and produces excellent results. And best, it is completely free!

Stitchawl
I have Gimp, I guess I have to start spending some time with it to get to know it (did I mention I was impatient )

I'm now listening to the church tower playing Sinterklaas songs. Some of those can sound rather dirty.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #36687
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I have Gimp, I guess I have to start spending some time with it to get to know it (did I mention I was impatient )

I'm now listening to the church tower playing Sinterklaas songs. Some of those can sound rather dirty.
There is another program called 'Zoner Photo Studio' that can do quite a lot of manipulation, but really doesn't give you the control that 'Gimp' will give. But it's true that the learning curve is long and steep with any good photo editing program. The easier the program, the fewer the controls/more pushbutton corrections without being able adjust them. Take the time to learn 'Gimp,' a little at a time. Start with just;
1.Levels
2. Contrast
3. Vibrancy
Then do your image corrections with the eraser, clone tool, etc., to get rid of power lines, garbage on the street, dust spots on the lens, etc. Adjust the horizon so it's level, and crop the photo.
4. Sharpen and remove noise.
Once you're familiar with it, all of this will take about 4-5 minutes to correct a photo.

Stitchawl
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #36688
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This morning I experienced what it must be like to wear a mink coat.

I stepped out of the shower and was toweling down on the bath mat. Stella cat jumped up on the toilet seat behind me, stood up on her hind legs, placed her paws on my shoulders, and gave me a warm furry kitty hug! She's so long in the body, she can reach as high as my shoulders - a soft, warm, cuddly kitty coat!

A great way to start off your morning!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #36689
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sure she wasn't trying to eat you? Cats love chicken
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #36690
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Sure she wasn't trying to eat you? Cats love chicken
She had already had her breakfast!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?