Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Screen Protector

Has anyone tried the screen protectors for Kindles? I use them on my laptop, palm and phone and wonder if one for the Kindle is useful and worth it.

<cue the crickets>

I've ordered one from Amazon and will report once I've tried it.

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-24-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: some very loud crickets
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Been considering one, I don't think I need one but the Mrs lugs her Kindle around all over the place.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Has anyone tried the screen protectors for Kindles? I use them on my laptop, palm and phone and wonder if one for the Kindle is useful and worth it.
Seems to me that if you keep it in the cover all the time, and close the cover when not reading, that it would not be needed.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Seems to me that if you keep it in the cover all the time, and close the cover when not reading, that it would not be needed.
Unfortunately, I don't close the cover all of the time, just like I don't close my laptop between uses. Also when I'm out working, I work in sometimes adverse conditions (not necessarily wet but sometimes very dusty and windy) and I would feel more comfortable protecting the screen while I'm reading.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
I think if anything were to press hard enough to scratch the screen, you are pretty close to breaking it.
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I agree but the Mrs does NOT keep the cover closed....its a training issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #7
vagelis
vagelis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle1, kindle2 & kindle dx
I have two screen covers, from different vendors however I haven't dared to put them on.

See, the optical qualities of the screen (glare, contrast, reflectivity) will change with any film put on it.
I have been debating the pro's and con's of doing it, but everytime I hesitate. After all that screen, as is, is kindle's raison d'etre.
vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagelis View Post
I have two screen covers, from different vendors however I haven't dared to put them on.

See, the optical qualities of the screen (glare, contrast, reflectivity) will change with any film put on it.
I have been debating the pro's and con's of doing it, but everytime I hesitate. After all that screen, as is, is kindle's raison d'etre.
If the screen protector changes the optical quality of the Kindle screen, then it's no good to me.

I'm using a screen protector on the laptop I typing on now. I have a glossy screen and needed a protector that kept the glossy quality and looked seamless. It took me 3 tries to find the right one, it actually fits under the edges of the laptop screen. You wouldn't know I was using one unless I told you.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never found the need for a screen protector for my 505. I take it along with me most places and it has never had an issue. Also, I only have the default cover for it. I'm not convinced Vizplex needs a screen protector. Also, I'm not convinced a screen protector would look good as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
sgspecker
sgspecker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Just purchased a screen protector

I finally bought a screen protector. I was a little nervous of wiping dust and such off the screen while I was reading it. Also, since I'm always reading the Kindle while eating (it's my traveling dinner companion), I've gotten a few small food splashes on it in the past.

I noticed Boxwave had a new screen protector available. I've purchased from them in the past and found them to work quite well. The only problem I've ever found with screen protectors is that they're a pain to apply - between the bubbles and dust. After a few minutes of fighting with it, though, it usually works out fine. In the case of the Kindle, the anti-glare protector didn't change the the screen at all; the screen looks just as good as it did before.

Here's the item I'm using: ClearTouch™ Anti-Glare - Amazon Kindle
<http://www.boxwave.com/products/clea...indle_3150.htm>

Scott
sgspecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Trickery
Pew Pew!
Trickery has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trickery has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trickery has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle v3
Edit: Whoops, totally posted to the wrong thread. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

Meant to post here for the newest Kindle edition:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...06#post1093306

Last edited by Trickery; 09-04-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Trickery is offline   Reply With Quote