Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
kjboland
kjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Mini
Kobo Glo Freeze and battery life

I have a new Kobo Glo. WIth the battery "charged" (I assume fully), i will read at night for say 30-40 mins (lowest light setting). If I then put it to sleep it will not restart in the morning. It will does nothing with the paperclip reset either - only connecting it to a power supply will turn it on. It will then be showing a low battery. Is this the reason for the hanging?

Given Kobo state 1 month battery life, and that 30-40 of the lowest light setting is hardly testing it, and shows more of Kobos inadequacies- or am I just unlucky??
kjboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Are you sure you are turning off your WiFi before you put it to sleep?

With WiFi turned on, my Glo battery drains pretty dramatically. I wouldn't expect the battery on mine to have any juice after a night of running the antenna.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
If, when you connect to a power supply, the battery indicator is empty (or close to it) that's probably why you can't wake it up. The paperclip reset would not be able to turn it on.

However, your battery life seems remarkably short, even with WiFi on. I don't think the light takes up much charge.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
If, when you connect to a power supply, the battery indicator is empty (or close to it) that's probably why you can't wake it up. The paperclip reset would not be able to turn it on.

However, your battery life seems remarkably short, even with WiFi on. I don't think the light takes up much charge.
Whatever the source of the drain, it's pretty aggressive, and this has been noted by another Glo owner outside of this thread. With both light and WiFi on, my percent remaining changed every time I remembered to check it out, and over the course of maybe 40 minutes, I lost close to 20%. I know that's not very mathematical, so I'll do a more organized experiment - lab coats and notes - next time I get to 100%.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Whatever the source of the drain, it's pretty aggressive, and this has been noted by another Glo owner outside of this thread. With both light and WiFi on, my percent remaining changed every time I remembered to check it out, and over the course of maybe 40 minutes, I lost close to 20%. I know that's not very mathematical, so I'll do a more organized experiment - lab coats and notes - next time I get to 100%.
Haha, yes do that and post your results here. The OP might want to test the battery life with WiFi off. If nothing else, because most people have WiFi off normally, you'll be able to benchmark with other users more easily.

Last edited by kobokobe; 11-05-2012 at 02:39 PM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you have an SD card in the Glo?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
With WiFi on for 10 minutes my battery drained from full to empty. My battery also drained quickly if I made shelves or adjusted the fonts.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 11-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't think this is normal behavior even with wifi on.

I have a Kobo mini and and 4 hours use = approximately 2% with or without wifi.

If I plug it in to put on books it charges very fast. About 1 minute.

I am thinking you got a bad one and should exchange it.

I have had my Mini for a week now and am so impressed I might have to buy a Glo as well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My above post may not be accurate on battery time. My battery now says 80% and I have onely read maybe 3-4 more hours or around 350 pages. Seems within specs, but somehow I was expecting better. Wishful thinking I guess.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
the size of the book also matters. an epub that's even about 1.5 MB can drain the battery rather quickly, and one of my epubs is 16MB, which drains the battery right fast!

So also keep track when you're watching battery drain of what books you're reading, and their file size.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Overnight drain is not normal. I would look at getting an exchange on it. I've seen the battery drop pretty quickly with wifi on (while downloading newspapers) and I've come to the conclusion that it's not updating properly some of the time and then starts to update when you have Wifi on and menu open :-/. Not sure what the reality is.
And a drain in 10 minutes with wifi on is definitely not normal. I wouldn't have come close to being able to download my Kobo library if that was the case.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
looongcat
looongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura aboutlooongcat has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Why does file size of the book make a noticeable difference? My epub file sizes range from 3 MB to 6 MB. I can leave the device in sleep mode at 90% and then when I start reading again, if I look at the battery percentage a few minutes later it is at 75% or even less. WiFi is off.

I am not using an SD card. Does using an SD card increase or decrease battery life?
looongcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Yesterday night I was reading for 2.5h with light on(minimum) and the battery drained ~1%.
That is pretty much what I have experienced every time the last 1.5 weeks of use.
Maybe a faulty batch or software bug drains you battery so much?

btw:No SD,no WiFi on.Epub file size ~1Mb.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
It's gotta be a dud battery. Not that uncommon to get an electronic device with a dud battery -- has happened to me at least once.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Most definitely not normal behaviour.

There could be a problem with a bad/corrupt book on the device. See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2250712 which shows a similar problem (on a Kobo Touch).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo freezing