Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
iPad and Future Shock

Heard an interesting interview on NPR on my drive home tonight with Alvin Toffler of "Future Shock" fame - when the interviewer went into the Tofflers' office there were 2 iPads on the desk - still in the box! Mrs. Toffler explained that when they received the iPads as gifts, she went online to view the User's Manual and was dismayed at the size of it. They decided not to open the boxes.

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
lol. she's welcome to send them to me and go back to her stone tablets..

true story, this past friday night i had dinner with a friend i haven't seen in a while. he asked if i had heard of the "new" ipad, he's usually some 20 years behind in technology (he thinks universal remotes are amazing). i happened to have mine in the car and showed it off to him. i maybe gave him a minute of instruction on navigating and he started to touch, swipe and press. within 20 minutes he was asking if we could stop at a nearby apple store. he walked out that night with a new 64g wifi and spent most of the weekend reading some books, watching some movies and emailing me on what great educational uses he'd get out of the ipad if all his students had one.

funny thing. he never once asked about a manual.

Last edited by scottjl; 07-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Good story Scott

I know I refer new users to it, and even provide links to it online... but I have had my iPad 4 months, and have never even looked at the manual. But.... I have had an iPod Touch and replaced it with an iPhone, so I did have a head start. Still, my wife has had neither. She has been using Macs and PC's for 20 years, and still needs help doing things. With the iPad after the FIRST DAY she seldom has any questions..... IMHO the UI is genus...... I think that is one of the reasons it is so popular with "senior" users....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

actually i was kind of surprised that my friend took to it so quickly. and was so interested in getting one so fast. i actually tried to talk him out of it (because i know i'm soon to become his tech support). he's a pc/windows guy and uses dial-up aol for his lightweight internet needs. i even tried to dissuade him by telling him that he's missing out on 1/2 of the ipad's use by not having any networking connection. he said he now has an excuse to get broadband. itunes does work over aol's networking, even if it takes a while to download apps, and he's able to sync up locally. he doesn't have use of maps, youtube, mail, safari and a few other apps, but he doesn't mind. right now he wants it for book reading, watching some movies (learning handbrake will be next on his list), and exploring what uses he can come up for it in education. he's already considering the VGA adapter to project presentations with. i did discuss keynote vs. docs to go with him.. guess i'll see where he goes with it all.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took mine yesterday for reading on the way to visit relatives an hour away. It goes in a neoprene sleeve and into my purse. I had no intention of showing it off, but Tim said, "Show Rose our vacation pics". We never got to the pics. I had to whip out the 2 apps that I use to indoctrinate the unbelievers: Manic Marble and Labyrinth. It is all intuitive with no explanations needed. Everyone in the room has to try it.

I did that at a family gathering at a Mexican restaurant (different family members) and I hoped it wouldn't leave with strangers. EVERYBODY wanted to try it. Then they found the Scramble-2 app and took turns seeing who could get the most words. I'm pretty sure my SIL will get one for Christmas.

Last edited by DixieGal; 07-26-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Never underestimate the power of margaritas.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
To my astonishment, we are now a 6 iPad extended family. My brother in law, sister in law, niece, my husband, and myself have all picked them up over the last two months, and last week my mother in law, who is the least technical person I know, decided she had to have one too. Realistically, she's probably the perfect person for one, as once she learns where everything is, she'll never change any of it. The limitations inherent in the closed app environment will never bother her, because she'll never bump into them.

I'll be interested to see though if she ever actually reads a book on it. Though my sister in law and I both tried to interest her in a Kindle, she couldn't get into the idea of reading from one. Now that almost everyone else in the family has given up paper books completely, she just might be persuaded.

Now to work on my father in law, the last holdout! LOL
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
To my astonishment, we are now a 6 iPad extended family. My brother in law, sister in law, niece, my husband, and myself have all picked them up over the last two months, and last week my mother in law, who is the least technical person I know, decided she had to have one too. Realistically, she's probably the perfect person for one, as once she learns where everything is, she'll never change any of it. The limitations inherent in the closed app environment will never bother her, because she'll never bump into them.

I'll be interested to see though if she ever actually reads a book on it. Though my sister in law and I both tried to interest her in a Kindle, she couldn't get into the idea of reading from one. Now that almost everyone else in the family has given up paper books completely, she just might be persuaded.

Now to work on my father in law, the last holdout! LOL
That is awesome, Victoria! My company went all iPhone two years ago, and my extended family in the last year and and a half has all gone iPhone (that would be my brothers and sisters, and inlaws, as well as my immediate family). They all tried my iPad at the last get-together a week ago...and now most of them are planning to get one as well. Two have Kindles, and four have Sony 500/505s, so they are familiar with eReaders.

(Apple should have a referral program )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Heard an interesting interview on NPR on my drive home tonight with Alvin Toffler of "Future Shock" fame - when the interviewer went into the Tofflers' office there were 2 iPads on the desk - still in the box! Mrs. Toffler explained that when they received the iPads as gifts, she went online to view the User's Manual and was dismayed at the size of it. They decided not to open the boxes.

Jeez, that really makes them sound like Neanderthals. I've owned my iPad since the day it was released, and until reading this thread here, I didn't even know there was a Users Manual. How ridiculous.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
User manual, good idea.

I went typing text on iPad during the mobileread meetup, and found the experience kind of awful.
First, the way correction works, where my phone proposes correction(s), and i clic and the right one, the iPad chose what's best for me. And as I was writing in English with the French dictionary.. oh the mess !
Then, I wantted to change the cursor position, no dice. I couldn't. Obvious would have been typing where you want the cursor. Seams it's a long press, how the hell was I supposed to guess that ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
User manual, good idea.

I went typing text on iPad during the mobileread meetup, and found the experience kind of awful.
First, the way correction works, where my phone proposes correction(s), and i clic and the right one, the iPad chose what's best for me. And as I was writing in English with the French dictionary.. oh the mess !
Then, I wantted to change the cursor position, no dice. I couldn't. Obvious would have been typing where you want the cursor. Seams it's a long press, how the hell was I supposed to guess that ?
Sounds like you are the type that needs the manual http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

also, safari always adds a bookmark to the users guide in the bookmark's list (at the root level, so keep going up out of your sub folders).
Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There's a manual?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
There's lots of tips & tricks to using an iPad more efficiently but I have to say it's pretty intuitive to use. Like I didn't know you could swipe up on the !/, to get an apostrophe. There's all sort of goodies like that I've learned since using one but aren't necessary to use the device.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
There's a manual?
See above for the PDF, look at the bookmark that Apple provided in Safari, or - my personal pick - download it as an ebook for free from the iBookstore (just search for iPad and you will see it).
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
There's lots of tips & tricks to using an iPad more efficiently but I have to say it's pretty intuitive to use. Like I didn't know you could swipe up on the !/, to get an apostrophe. There's all sort of goodies like that I've learned since using one but aren't necessary to use the device.
Yup. I'm a tech bonehead and easily used it without the manual, but checked it out for tricks.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote