Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
PDF Version and Images - Problem

I have been trying to get some PDF Computer Books onto my Reader. My intention is to have them stored on a memory stick, and leave the main memory for the novels I am reading, using bookmarks to quickly change between the novel I am reading, and the Computer Book I am using.

One particular book I am struggling with has a lot of screenshots in it which do not display on the reader. Other images used for chapter headings etc seem to be there, but the screen grabs are not there. The particular book is a version 7 PDF file (it says 1.6 in some places).

To get round this problem, I opened it with Adobe Acrobat and saved it out as HTML and then used Calibre to convert it to LRF. This looked like it might work, the formating of the book looked okay in Calibre, but when I tried to open it on the sony, it simply seemed to hang on the formatting screen. I know this sometimes takes a while, but it was on for ages with out any sign of progress (the symbol was not spinning at all). I ended up having to reset it.

Next, I tried to Save it out as an optimized PDF, and choose to make it compatible with Acrobat 5 (it said 1.4 I think), and tried this and to my surprise everything worked. It gave me the following warning

"The PDF document contained image masks that were not downsampled."

I copied it to my memory card, and lo and behold, it worked.

Do you know of any known issues with images and PDF versions on the SONY reader. I am going to try some other books to see if i have the same problem.

Regards

James
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The PDF rendering engine that both Adobe Digital Editions and the Sony Readers use cannot handle JPEG2000 images.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I wonder if that were the problem then. Interestingly, digital editions does not show the pictures on the offending book as well. Problem solved.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote