Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you an Introvert?
Yes 105 87.50%
No 15 12.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Are you an Introvert?

From Psychology Today:

Personality
Revenge of the Introvert

There are as many introverts as extraverts, but you'd never know it by looking around. Introverts would rather be entertained by what's going on in their heads than in seeking happiness. Their big challenge is not to feel like outsiders in their own culture.

More:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...-the-introvert
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Yep, major introvert here. Married an extrovert, though, and amazingly enough, it's worked out quite well!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Proud introvert - don't understand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Introverts would rather be entertained by what's going on in their heads than in seeking happiness.
Sounds like a US thing:
"As a result, introverts are not driven to seek big hits of positive emotional arousal—they'd rather find meaning than bliss—making them relatively immune to the search for happiness that permeates contemporary American culture."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sparrow, I think that sentence was poorly worded. It's a cut and paste from the article. I'm pretty sure it means "seeking happiness externally or through interaction with others"

Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I can't answer using the choices given. I'm pretty much right in the middle, or maybe at both ends. I'm equally happy sitting at home alone reading a book as I am at the neighbors for barbecue with the entire neighborhood.

Sure there are times when I prefer one to the other, but usually both are equally appealing. In fact I've been known, much to my wife's displeasure, to take a book to the in-laws and read when we're there for a birthday party
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The quote is exact - and expresses a popular misconception of intraversion/extraversion. Carl Jung did a lot of work on Typology, but some of it got lost in translation to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Also, a Jungian lecturer pointed out that a person a North American would call an intravert would probably be labeled an extrovert in Europe - cultural norms vary widely.

The article is longer than I want to read now, but I will probably get back to it over the weekend and comment further then.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Introvert.

"That gentle melancholy which leads one to love books and solitude, all attributes which Nature seems to grant only to individuals for whom it is keeping unhappiness in store." ~ Marquis De Sade
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if extraverts are more likely to be thread starters here.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I can't answer using the choices given. I'm pretty much right in the middle, or maybe at both ends. I'm equally happy sitting at home alone reading a book as I am at the neighbors for barbecue with the entire neighborhood.

Sure there are times when I prefer one to the other, but usually both are equally appealing. In fact I've been known, much to my wife's displeasure, to take a book to the in-laws and read when we're there for a birthday party

I almost included a third choice 'I'm a cowboy'
Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Dunnow....you could start a poll?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Not me.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Umm, no - she can't .....

Quote:
Proud introvert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I almost included a third choice 'I'm a cowboy'
well I am! cowgirl at least!

Quote:

sheesh! get with the program, Sparrow is a he, not a she!!!!

well apparently I am standing in the field all by myself. I am quite happy alone, and indeed can go for days without seeing anyone, but I also am very outgoing and interested in *things*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Err, I'm a 'he' actually - not that it matters or anything; just thought I'd mention it in passing - carry on.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
well I am! cowgirl at least!

well apparently I am standing in the field all by myself. I am quite happy alone, and indeed can go for days without seeing anyone, but I also am very outgoing and interested in *things*
There are times I'd like to go days without seeing anyone - hey maybe we could do it together, umm nevermind, that would defeat the purpose huh?

Quote:
Err, I'm a 'he' actually - not that it matters or anything; just thought I'd mention it in passing - carry on.
I am so embarrassed

Sorry about that, that is what I get for basing everything on names and avatars (not the current one, but your last one).... I'm going to go stick my head in the ground now....