Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #181
walklikegump
walklikegump began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
please delete

Last edited by walklikegump; 11-05-2011 at 07:24 PM.
walklikegump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #182
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by walklikegump View Post
copied the Dk_Sytem to the root of the Kindle
copied the 3 bin files ( the 131kb ones) and updated.
You're supposed to copy only the .bin file that matches your specific Kindle model:

Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi: update_duokan_B008.bin
Kindle Keyboard 3G US/CDN: update_duokan_B006.bin
Kindle Keyboard 3G Europe: update_duokan_B00A.bin

On the main menu select the S option and on the first page select English after the F option. (See screen captures for details.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_menu.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	78656   Click image for larger version

Name:	lang_1.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	78657   Click image for larger version

Name:	lang_2.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	78658  

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-05-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #183
walklikegump
walklikegump began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Thank you .
I realised I was using the original lite1014..1225 so started again and am using 1105.2124.

still used all 3 bin files and now seem to have a working system.

Came on here to deleted my post as it was my error , deleted it then seen your response.

Should I reset to factory settings and install again, using the single bin file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You're supposed to copy only the .bin file that matches your specific Kindle model:

Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi: update_duokan_B008.bin
Kindle Keyboard 3G US/CDN: update_duokan_B006.bin
Kindle Keyboard 3G Europe: update_duokan_B00A.bin

On the main menu select the S option and on the first page select English after the F option. (See screen captures for details.)
walklikegump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #184
wizkoder
wizkoder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I really love duokan and already 4 books with it.
Sometimes 2 words overlap each other. Thats the only error I noticed so far.

I miss one function for it be perfect. I read books on my computer in the office, on my notebook at home and on my android smartphone.
It would be great to be able to sync the last read page for all the 3 devices.
Is that possible at all with duokan?
wizkoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #185
arthurmnev
arthurmnev began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 902
Guys, quick check: I'm a complete kindle newb (had boox m90 for a bit but sent it back).
A few questions:
1) how is the stability? I like to fiddle around with code, but not when I want to read a book

2) what does duokan OS do for/with DRM -- is there a built in option to manage DRM books as well? (specifically if I do get a DRM protected book from Amazon, do I need to go back to the original OS, or will this OS actually pick it up?)

3) How is the wifi and browser performance?
arthurmnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #186
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I assume you're speaking about Duokan Lite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurmnev View Post
1) how is the stability? I like to fiddle around with code, but not when I want to read a book
I've not had any problems, that said I've seen it restart when going to sleep once.
Quote:
2) what does duokan OS do for/with DRM -- is there a built in option to manage DRM books as well? (specifically if I do get a DRM protected book from Amazon, do I need to go back to the original OS, or will this OS actually pick it up?)
It may allow you to manage the files, in the sense that you can see/rename the book (I've never tried), however it does not have any ability to open DRM'd files. At the moment it only supports pdf/txt/epub, in the next week or two it will support mobi and a bit more epub.
Quote:
3) How is the wifi and browser performance?
Wifi is fine, I push books to my kindle over ftp (duokan has a little server), as well as fetch the weekly updates. There is however no browser, there is unlikely to be one in the future from what I cant gleam off the google translation of the official forums. It's a reader, not a tablet.

Last edited by Serpentine; 11-22-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added the assumption note
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #187
arthurmnev
arthurmnev began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 902
Thanks, appreciate the reply.

The fact that it doesn't support DRM protected books is unfortunate (curious as to why -- DRM books can be opened by Adobe reader that does run on linux...)

Which means that if I want to buy a book from amazon, i will have to dual boot back?

realistically, the only thing i'm really to accomplish here, is to get Kindle DX to read epub in addition to everything that it is doing...

I just picked up 2 of them from amazon $250

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYWHSQ/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=offsitestorag-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creati veASIN=B002GYWHSQ&adid=09X6HR5XYA5J0M3A9V5F&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.offsitestorage.net

I'm not really interested in the browser; I usually get annoyed when someone puts in a browser on e-ink device, it doesn't really work and just frustrates people
arthurmnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #188
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Their shell scripts still exist, if you boot the system and watch telnet you can see them all executing.. they like to mount the rootfs as RW alot for no reason whatsoever in their scripts.. Even when you boot into kindle OS it still executes all of their scripts. Anyhow, I've looked into removing the scripts, should be easy to do, but waiting for someone with more knowledge to poke around in there and test it out =X
Any follow up on this? Hope there's a way to turn off Duokan script while in Kindle mode. It's really slow down significantly even I completely reboot into Kindle.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #189
StreetGeek
StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: KO3
I know the FAQ says it reads .MOBI, but none of my ones from the original documents folder are not showing up...

Also I cannot connect to wifi... I put in the password correctly and it wont connect. At one point I even took off my password.
StreetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #190
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGeek View Post
I know the FAQ says it reads .MOBI, but none of my ones from the original documents folder are not showing up...
If you're using Duokan Lite, then mobi is not supported yet, however it should be there soon. Maybe this Friday, they're saying December tho.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #191
StreetGeek
StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
If you're using Duokan Lite, then mobi is not supported yet, however it should be there soon. Maybe this Friday, they're saying December tho.
Can you direct me on where to get Duokan then? If is faster than DL? Or just more features? I love the interface but i uninstalled when I learned I couldnt read my Mobi Files
Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #192
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Can you direct me on where to get Duokan then? If is faster than DL? Or just more features? I love the interface but i uninstalled when I learned I couldnt read my Mobi Files
you can find it here: http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...ish-gui-today/
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #193
StreetGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Working on installing this right now. Now one more question lol. Which one of these updates do I use.. I know which model but there are 2 folders with characters that my PC cant decode for sake of them not being installed. I think I used the right one.. will report back.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #194
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Working on installing this right now. Now one more question lol. Which one of these updates do I use.. I know which model but there are 2 folders with characters that my PC cant decode for sake of them not being installed. I think I used the right one.. will report back.

Thanks!
install files :update_duokan_
uninstall files: update_unduokan_
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #195
StreetGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
install files :update_duokan_
uninstall files: update_unduokan_
I dont see that. Where is that becuse the two Bins I tried failed.

Is it because I am on 3.3? Will Duokan not work on that?

Last edited by StreetGeek; 12-14-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Tags
duokan, faq, kindle