Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #76
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
No, but again - why should I be paying attention to a company bring in a PC app late, which does the minimum and still has all the hallmarks and DRM of the company's control freak nature stamped all over it?
Yeah those control freaks who sell the DRM free music. I think the presence of DRM on ebooks has more to do with publishers not being able to read the writing on the wall. They are in the same position the music industry was ten years ago and they are the ones who are "control freaks" and "running scared".
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #77
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Er...

*searches for 15 minutes to find a Kindle version of one of the books on his shelf avaliable on the Kindle*

Oh well, I'll have to do with one by the same author...

Foundation's Triumph - $9.20, £5.53

But it's £4.43 at Books on Board

Without the $2 premium, it would be better at £4.33...

pilotbob - These are the days when who's going to be a serious ebook contender are set. As with BluRay and HD-DVD, these things get decided before the mass market picks them up!
Well one example is not really good enough, lets continue the research.

Predictably Irrational
Amazon $10
BoB $27

The real take away here is not to throw on blinders and say no good for me. With another store open you know have the option to shop around and get the best deal available.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #78
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Yeah those control freaks who sell the DRM free music.
Stores were forced by EMI into selling non-DRM'ed music, and the other lables realised they were screwed if they didn't follow up. The praise there is for EMI, not the stores.

=X= - Yep, and format is important, especially for people who are not interested in stripping DRM. Amazon are standing alone on this one.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #79
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
As far as doing it late, well, early on they wanted to push the hardware more so than the books. Now that the market is getting bigger, and the early adopters have been buying the hardware, they're starting to go after mainstream. Mainstream isn't as willing to shell out much money for a gadget, so they have to be enticed. If you start getting them reading on their computers, you can talk them into reading on a device that makes it easier and is better suited to it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #80
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Neener, neener!

I'm sure they'll have a mac version soon, or maybe you can run it in emulation mode eh?
For reasons like this is that I run Windows 7 under Parallels...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #81
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just imagine the next logical development - Amazon partners with PC manufacturers so that new HP, Dell, Acer, Apple, etc. PCs/tablets/netbooks, etc. come pre-loaded with the Kindle Reader App! Globally!!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #82
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
=X= - Yep, and format is important, especially for people who are not interested in stripping DRM. Amazon are standing alone on this one.
Amazon isn't standing alone on the DRM issue. The B&N store also has DRM'd content. That's how the Nook manages the "lending". I've downloaded a B&N e-book using the new software. It is most certainly DRM'd.

I agree with Hellmark on this: The new software is going after those who would not necessarily buy a dedicated reader. Right now, that population far exceeds those who would. And after all, the Kindle is about one thing and one thing only: Selling more books. They make a lot more money off of the books sold for the Kindle than the actual Kindles themselves.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #83
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Just imagine the next logical development - Amazon partners with PC manufacturers so that new HP, Dell, Acer, Apple, etc. PCs/tablets/netbooks, etc. come pre-loaded with the Kindle Reader App! Globally!!
(shudders in ecstacy!)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #84
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Amazon isn't standing alone on the DRM issue.
Huh? What other readers can display AZW and TPZ files?

ePub files, on the other hand, can be displayed on many readers - many support Adobe's DRM, and most of those will take advantage of the Q1 2010 update to add B&N DRM support as well.

Amazon are very much standing alone with their file formats!

Quote:
They make a lot more money off of the books sold for the Kindle than the actual Kindles themselves.
So why have they waited so long?
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #85
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I am curious about a couple of things:

1 - my PC/laptop/netbook doesn't have 3G connectivity, so I'm going to assume that the "Whispersync" mentioned in the announcement will work over normal Internet connection
2 - does the Kindle app support offline reading as well as online? If so, how will Whispersync know your last page read in a particular book?
3 - I have Whispersync turned off on my Kindle account because we have 5 Kindles -- and 5 readers -- sharing the account. It isn't nice to pick up a book and have it open to the page my sister was on.
4 - Will my PC count as yet-another device on my account? I'd assume so, in which case the PC app will be less valuable to me since we already own 5 real Kindles.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So why have they waited so long?
I'm guessing perhaps... and this is just speculation, that the PC software is much more secure. And when I say secure I mean it secures the ebooks much better. It possible uses the cryto DAPI services of windows to generate and store an encrypt key and RSA security rather than the eminently broken Mobipocket DRM.

That is just supposition. If the PC can decrypt the ebook to display it, then it can be reverse engineered.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #87
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Amazon isn't standing alone on the DRM issue.
Quote:
Huh? What other readers can display AZW and TPZ files? Amazon are very much standing alone with their file formats!
And so has Sony. Do you think Sony is going to allow me to replace all the .lrx books I've purchased from them with ePub versions?

Although the Topaz format hasn't been cracked -- or at least no one has bragged about it yet -- there's not even a format shifter for the non-DRM Sony (.lrf) format and it's been out there for YEARS and YEARS. Ever since I joined MobileRead, I've wished for a way to make a *nice* conversion of .lrf files to Mobipocket or ePub. Calibre doesn't support it. The ABC Amber product barely hangs on to the text; forget about the formatting.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #88
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Do you think Sony is going to allow me to replace all the .lrx books I've purchased from them with ePub versions?
Actually, yes I do.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #89
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Do you think Sony is going to allow me to replace all the .lrx books I've purchased from them with ePub versions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, yes I do.
Now *that* would be progress. From your lips to Howard Stringer's ears.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #90
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Correction, it is only for Windows. There is a difference.
Good point...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote