Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree that $12 is too high, but $2.99 is too low. $6-$8 would be a realistic price, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree that $12 is too high, but $2.99 is too low. $6-$8 would be a realistic price, I think.
Yes, I'd be okay with those figures, and I'd scoop them all up, dang skippy.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I like to read a series in order and having the first book in this series at $12.00 really PO's me. The PB is $8.00 new. The least they could do is make the ebook the same. I would buy it at $8.00 not at $12.00. Random House would sell a lot more if they had lowered the price to $8.00.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #34
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I like to read a series in order and having the first book in this series at $12.00 really PO's me. The PB is $8.00 new. The least they could do is make the ebook the same. I would buy it at $8.00 not at $12.00. Random House would sell a lot more if they had lowered the price to $8.00.
Apache
I agree. I like to read series in order too, and I won't buying any of the series until I buy the first - at $8 or less.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #35
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a completely unrealistic price. Do you really place such a low value on books?
Unrealistic in your mind, not in mine... 50 year old books. Books that have already made their money in hardcover, made MORE money in paperback, then slowly faded away. Author's dead, books are of interested to a pretty small group that read some of them years ago, and now they've been resurrected in e-book form to make EVEN MORE money.

So, YEAH, I figure they're worth about $2.99 each. Publisher wants more, fine. They'll sell 'em to someone else, 'cause I can find a LOT of fine books to read that DO fit into the $0.99, $1.99, $2.99 range.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let's hope they do an "Ed McBain Daily Sale" for all of us.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #37
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they do someone post it here please.
Apache
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Let's hope they do an "Ed McBain Daily Sale" for all of us.
One could hope, but these aren't published by Amazon like the McBain books are so it's doubtful.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #39
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
If you use Calibre to do a book/author search it finds dozens of MacDonald's Travis McGee novels at an average price of $6.99. Sony, Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon.

I have had the whole series for more than a year now, but I used 1dollar scan and had all my old paperbacks scanned into digital format. Very cheap that way.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #40
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Very happy to see MacDonald's Travis McGee series widely available in digital form. MacDonald was a big influence on me and my writing, not to mention many of the writers I've been reading since I was a kid.
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #41
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
If you use Calibre to do a book/author search it finds dozens of MacDonald's Travis McGee novels at an average price of $6.99. Sony, Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon.

I have had the whole series for more than a year now, but I used 1dollar scan and had all my old paperbacks scanned into digital format. Very cheap that way.
With a U.S. search using Calibre, the prices were either $7.99 or $11.99.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
With a U.S. search using Calibre, the prices were either $7.99 or $11.99.
Yep. Some are $7.99 and others $11.99. And the first in the series is $11.99.
Apache
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #43
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
+1. That is kind of a kick in the face that the paperback is $7.99 (or $0.01 if you go used) & the ebook is 4 bucks more. And if some of the books are in fact $7.99, why wouldn't the first book be offered at that price, as an enticement to get you hooked on the series. I honestly would like to know the strategy behind that. Well, they are not getting my money at the current price.

These books should of course be in the public domain by now, since Mr. MacDonald passed away 26 years ago (RIP),but of course that is a whole other argument...
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #44
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
+1. That is kind of a kick in the face that the paperback is $7.99 (or $0.01 if you go used) & the ebook is 4 bucks more. And if some of the books are in fact $7.99, why wouldn't the first book be offered at that price, as an enticement to get you hooked on the series. I honestly would like to know the strategy behind that. Well, they are not getting my money at the current price.

These books should of course be in the public domain by now, since Mr. MacDonald passed away 26 years ago (RIP),but of course that is a whole other argument...
I have all the paperbacks already so the cost for them is 0 for me. I would still start to buy the ebooks for re-reading the series for the prices quoted above if they allowed me to buy them.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #45
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
These ebooks aren't in my library's digital collection, but they're available in OverDrive for library patrons to recommend for purchase.
Thanks for posting about this. I read some of these back in the eighties and enjoyed them. My two local library systems have most of the ebooks. The ones I looked at are already loaned out. I put the first three on my wishlist. I'm curious to see how well they hold up.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote