Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
WantToBuy
WantToBuy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Are any eReaders good for Magazines?

I want an eReader I can take to the kitchen in the morning, read a magazine / newspaper while eating breakfast, take to the office and read a little at lunch or during break times, and then bring back home to read a bit before bed.

I also want to read some books on it when I have longer amounts of time, but I'm having trouble figuring out which eReaders can support casual reading of magazines and newspapers well. I know the iPad can, but it's $500+. Maybe nothing on the market is out right now, and if so, what should I look for down the road? And why?

Thanks!!
WantToBuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad really is the only game in town right now for that purpose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Depends a bit on what magazines and newspapers you want to read.

I've been using Calibre to download two US newspapers from the web, and the selection of magazines you can do the same for is impressive. Of course, you have to be interested in the text of the articles primarily. The pictures definitely look nicer on the website.

Take a look over on the Calibre section here at Mobile Read, especially on the "sticky" thread devoted to scripts. You might find that it might be possible to do precisely what you want on just about any e-reader.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
anthony_barker
anthony_barker began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, nokia n900
you are in the same situation as those who want to read large technical pdfs...

Basically you need a large format reader
Kindle DX, Sony Daily, ipad, iliad or alternatively a small netbook tablet (eg ASUS t91mt)
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...Larger_Devices

If you want colour you are limited to ipad, netbook, or one of the many cheap android devices around.

Alternatively you could look a large cellphone such as dell streak which handles news really quite well. Magazines are best through a rss reader.

Also you could look at a used nokia n770/800 with fbreader, pdf reader etc.

Last edited by anthony_barker; 08-17-2010 at 08:50 AM.
anthony_barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
magazines it depends, if its just the articles then e ink is fine, but if you are more into the pictures like People, US Weekly, Nat Geo then the iPad is the only way to go or the Pandigital.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert