Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Please recommend some, near-future, non-dystopian hard sf Audible book!

I need help spending my last Audible.com credit.

With so many rent/borrow sources available, I want to spend it on something that is worth owning and re-reading.

I've recently enjoyed "The Martian" and Mike Flynn's "Firestar" series, and (surprisingly, for me) Cory Doctorow's "The Man Who Sold the Moon" and I'm still in the mood for stories based on science and tech that are predicatively possible in the near future, and which are based in a Gene-Roddenberry-like positive view of the future.

Any thoughts?
Anyone know much about the Neal Stephenson's Seveneves, or the up coming Ernest Cline novel?

Last edited by ApK; 06-01-2015 at 12:16 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Have you read (or listened to, or watched) Carl Sagan's Contact? I can't really think of much else.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Scalzi's Lock In, McDonald's The Dervish House, and depending on how you define "dystopia", Bacigalupi's near-future cli-fi books.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I enjoyed Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear, although I am not sure on an audio version.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
It's generally put in the mystery section but J.D. Robb's In Death series might work. It's in the near future and non-dystopian. There has naturally been advances in technology but I'm not sure if you could call it science fiction.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Have you read (or listened to, or watched) Carl Sagan's Contact? I can't really think of much else.
I loved the movie. Not sure why I never thought about trying the book!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Scalzi's Lock In, McDonald's The Dervish House, and depending on how you define "dystopia", Bacigalupi's near-future cli-fi books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I enjoyed Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear, although I am not sure on an audio version.
Thanks, I will check those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
It's generally put in the mystery section but J.D. Robb's In Death series might work. It's in the near future and non-dystopian*. There has naturally been advances in technology but I'm not sure if you could call it science fiction.
My wife owns the entire audiobook series, and I've enjoyed several of them. I prefer the ones that are more mystery/police procedural and less heavy on the romance. I never even thought of them being in this category I'm asking about, but I guess they are. My tastes are awfully consistent, it seems.
I'll have to try a few more.

ApK

*Non-dystopian!? They serve only soy dogs on the streets of New York!! That's the end of the world as I know it.

Last edited by ApK; 06-03-2015 at 10:53 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote