Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #166
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
As a reflection, my unit had its shipment information sent to FedEx at 8:21 AM on Sep 30, the unit was picked up and arrived at the FedEx warehouse 80 miles from my house at 6:48 PM on Sep 30, at 12:00 AM on Oct 1 information was sent to the US Postal Service, at 2:20 AM on Oct 1 it departed the FedEx warehouse, at 8:24 AM on Oct 1 it reached the mail center 5 miles from my house and at 12:20 PM on Oct 1 it was delivered to me.

Amazon had estimated an Oct 2 delivery which was beaten by one day. I now have restored confidence in the Post Office.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #167
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
For those that have recieved your new paperwhite 2, what are your impressions of the paperwhite 2?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #168
Don Quixote
Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
For those that have recieved your new paperwhite 2, what are your impressions of the paperwhite 2?
Dig it the most.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #169
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Mine came a day early. Way to go Amazon!!

I have no complaints. The display is a lot better than the PW, but it should be.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #170
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Mine came a day early. Way to go Amazon!!

I have no complaints. The display is a lot better than the PW, but it should be.
How so? From the pics I have seen I haven't notice any real improvements like I did when I bought my second K4 the improved version was extremely noticeable. Considering this is not a Pearl I'm not seeing much difference between Pearl and Carta screens so far.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #171
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Background shading is the key difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How so? From the pics I have seen I haven't notice any real improvements like I did when I bought my second K4 the improved version was extremely noticeable. Considering this is not a Pearl I'm not seeing much difference between Pearl and Carta screens so far.
Background on the PW 2012 is light grey. On the PW 2013 it is pure white. Thus, all fonts look crisper due to better contrast. Those with eye problems will appreciate the changes the most.

Pictures taken by amateurs, like almost all of us, will not show this difference. One must see it to believe it.

Remember Amazon will take back the PW 2013 for 30 days for a full refund with no questions asked. Everyone can try it without monetary risk.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-01-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #172
Don Quixote
Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Don Quixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Off topic here but does anyone know how to password protect purchases on the paperwhite? I know there are parental controls to not allow access to the store but I want to have access to the store I just want a password prompt to come up if click "buy".
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #173
sirmaru
Wizard

Parental controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
Off topic here but does anyone know how to password protect purchases on the paperwhite? I know there are parental controls to not allow access to the store but I want to have access to the store I just want a password prompt to come up if click "buy".
Parental controls will require a password to access the Kindle Store. However, it will prevent a Reset of the device in case of problems. Thus, it is probably better not to use that option.

Edit: Upon rethinking the issue I set the same password for Kindle Store purchases on all four of my Kindles. Thanks for bringing up the issue. If the units require a reset, Amazon CS can always do it for us.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-01-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #174
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Background on the PW 2012 is light grey. On the PW 2013 it is pure white. Thus, all fonts look crisper due to better contrast. Those with eye problems will appreciate the changes the most.

Pictures taken by amateurs, like almost all of us, will not show this difference. One must see it to believe it.

Remember Amazon will take back the PW 2013 for 30 days for a full refund with no questions asked. Everyone can try it without monetary risk.
That's a good way to get your account locked. Amazon is not a try before you buy service. They will take it back but there is always a risk of having your account flagged. Now it's different if you return it due to being defective. and if you don't there is restock fee and you have to pay shipping.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #175
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
That's a good way to get your account locked. Amazon is not a try before you buy service. They will take it back but there is always a risk of having your account flagged. Now it's different if you return it due to being defective. and if you don't there is restock fee and you have to pay shipping.
Amazon encourages people to try a Kindle for 30 days and return if they don't like it.
Quote:
Try It Risk Free for 30 Days
We think you'll love reading on Kindle Paperwhite, and we want you to experience it yourself. If you're not 100% satisfied, you can return it in new condition within 30 days.

It's not the same as the people who get their accounts locked for buying multiple TV's just to try them out and returning them and stuff like that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #176
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Mine has been out for delivery since 9am. It's 5pm now, so it doesn't look like my PW is coming today.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #177
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Amazon encourages people to try a Kindle for 30 days and return if they don't like it.

It's not the same as the people who get their accounts locked for buying multiple TV's just to try them out and returning them and stuff like that.
Okay I didn't know that. So Kindles are excluded. Good Guarantee.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #178
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Mine's supposed to be in tomorrow.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #179
sirmaru
Wizard

Buy it now.

Quote:
Okay I didn't know that. So Kindles are excluded. Good Guarantee.
Blossom,

Buy the PW 2013 NOW !! There is no risk and it has the best and clearest fonts anywhere.

Dark black Helvetic on a pure white background cannot be beat. You can always give your old one to a relative or friend for Christmas.

My only regret is to wonder why Amazon didn't offer this unit last year. The PW 2012 was really way behind the PW 2013.

I may buy a couple dozen as gifts for all my elderly friends many of them unable to read any books and languishing in nursing homes. The devices would open new worlds for those folks.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-01-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #180
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
There is a lot of difference to me. Having the more yellow tint does help with the clarity of the screen. It is very hard to tell from the pictures that have been taken that I have seen. It is a lot better in person. Hard to describe, but if you get a chance to see one in person, I think that would help a lot.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote