Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Looking for brave Paperwhite 2 owner

... acting as a guinea pig

Here's the challenge:

* try to install the official 5.3.8 firmware on your Paperwhite 2, according to the official instructions.
* report back.

Your potential risk: Not much, really. Most probably, the Kindle won't even allow you to update (leaving the "Settings > Update Your Kindle" grayed out). If it does allow you to choose it, the update will either a) fail (likely), leaving you with the exact state that you were in before attempting this, or b) succeed (unlikely), leaving you with firmware 5.3.8.

Your potential gain: Not much,really. You'll be my superhero (and probably for a few other developer's corner regulars, too). And I promise to invite you for a fancy dinner if we ever meet in person. And if you actually did manage to downgrade to 5.3.8, we also go on a binge after dinner...

... and now for real: why? because even just trying to install that update will help us to better understand the new device and software ("us" = some folks in the developer's corner).

Volunteers? The first confirmed answer wins!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Rob2246
Enthusiast
Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle,nook ,ipad,kobo
_____
Rob2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
makeminemaudlin
makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.

Device: none
5.3.5.bin simply disappears from the root directory upon ejection. I'll try 5.3.8 and report back, but I doubt it will be any different.
makeminemaudlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
makeminemaudlin
makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.makeminemaudlin is faster than slow light.

5.3.8 also disappears from the root directory upon ejecting the disk. "update your kindle" is grayed out.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@makeminemaudlin: Thank you!

We now know that the PW2 is not "binary-compatible" with the original PW.
Which means that the PW jailbreak, and all the other hacks, won't work on that device in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Yep, the whole point of this thread was to find this out.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
makeminemaudlin

That's what I was afraid of :/

Oh well, glad to help! Keep us posted!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
One other way to confirm this and help us would be for someone to post the detailed version info from the logs (provided they didn't remove the logdump feature).

After a fresh boot, run ;dm in the search bar. That'll make a bunch of .txt files pop up in the documents folder. In the system one, check for something like "system: I system:config:platform=" and "System Software Version". (Obviously, it's what comes after that we're interested in ;)).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
makeminemaudlin

@NiLuJe I'll see what logs I can conjure up for you this evening, when I'm back at my home computer.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
makeminemaudlin

Logdump info:

system:config: platform=wario,board=pinot,rev=34,proto=Y,wifi=Y,w an=N:

131001:195747 cvm[4177]: I VersionManagerImpl:SoftwareVersion:base=System Software Version_ 050-juno_4_wario-206145,pretty=Kindle 5.4.0 (2061450050),ota=2061450050:

Note: The forum is rendering the : and p in the system:config text as the emoticon :P so I had to put a space between those characters. Also, there's a LOT of stuff here, and I hope this is the what you're looking for. If not, I could post the logs in their entirety.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@makeminemaudlin: It is indeed, thanks . (There's a 'don't use smileys' (or something like that) checkbox in the advanced view when you create/edit a post, it helps with this kind of thing . That, or wrapping it in code blocks ^^).

Fun detail: according to this output, enjoy your prototype board .

(IIRC, that's not the first time the first (at least) batch of devices came with a board flagged as a proto, I can't remember if it was the K3 or the K4 the last time this happened... ^^)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-02-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
makeminemaudlin

Happy to help
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
wlsinwi
Enthusiast
wlsinwi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Touch and Paperwhite1 and 2
Has anyone found the version string in the binary and changed it to a high number or changed the string in the config file?
wlsinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@wlsinwi: Yup. Might have been a cute idea in theory, but in practice it's an awful idea, for various reasons all more or less coming down to the hardware being different.

(i.e. insta-brick!)