Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 04:23 AM   #46
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajala View Post
Blue Tyson, I read the legislation as the format shifting being legal, while removing DRM being illegal.

My question is that if I own a paperback, can I (legally) have an ecopy from the darknet in my possession even though I didn't do the 'format shift' myself?

The way I see it, I've bought the book and the author has the royalty and I have the book in my preferred format. Win-Win.
I dont think it works quite like that. It is still illegal to provide or obtain a copy of a file with DRM removed. If Format shifting is acceptable, then it is only for personal use.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #47
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
My way of thinking about it is that buying a paper copy and "acquiring" an e-copy is not legally any different from buying a paper copy and "acquiring" a second paper copy.

I wouldn't do the second, and so I can see that the first is "wrong".

That said, in the distant past, I have copied VHS tapes that I rented simply because I wanted the film and it was not available to buy anywhere.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #48
dodgyville
dodgyville began at the beginning.

Device: E65
So, what's the story Dymocks ... are we getting anything this year or is just another non-starter in the ebook universe?

BTW, hi everyone.
dodgyville is offline   Reply With Quote