Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #151
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
So, you're trying to suggest that, unless I have specific figures, I'm all wrong?

Sorry. Statement stands. It does not depend on "numbers."
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

You're the person who is saying that the majority of people -- for the sake of argument, let's narrow it down to Americans, since you're American -- are dishonest. You have further said, very specifically, that the members of MobileRead download unauthorized copies of books and music rather than purchasing them legitimately, and that those people say openly that they do so because "nobody will be able to stop them." You have repeatedly made this statement that most people are dishonest, something which flies in the face of both the published statistics and the personal experience of MobileRead members, and as you're the one making the extraordinary statements, it is your duty to present support for them, not everyone else's duty to refute them.

So until you give us some reason to believe what you're saying other than "because I said so," your statement has the truth value of "the moon is made of green cheese."

Quote:
I generally get high dozens, total, of the sum of my 14 books per year. This year, however, I'm expecting less than 50 total sales at this rate.
I wasn't going to say this, out of pity, but you've called me a thief one time too many:

If those sales are only 10% of the people reading your books -- that is, if for every person who buys a book from you, nine people read pirate copies -- then you're still only talking 500 reads in total for all 14 of your books. 36 readers per book. More people than that read my freaking fanfic in a fandom so small that most people would be surprised that it exists at all.

In other words, even if 90% of them are reading pirate copies instead of buying the books, people still don't want to read your books.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #152
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm only going to respond to one point of this tirade:

I never called you a thief.

No, I take it back... I'll respond to two things:

You're saying "Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!" doesn't refute any of my statements.

That said, I am going to pull back from this conversation, as it has clearly deviated from the main point of the thread and has become a nexus of personal attacks upon me, and not a coherent discussion of the original question. Sorry for everyone I've upset with this line of thought... I'll try not to impose my opinions on you in the future.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #153
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I once had a chance to get a book signed by Ray Bradbury, and as I walked away, I saw that he'd signed it to "Steve." I'm getting used to it.
I'll have to remember that if you ever ask me to sign a book! Since Ray Bradbury set such a memorable precedent, it would be a shame to deviate from accepted practice.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #154
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not up to us to refute your statements.

It's up to you to offer proof of them.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #155
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
I

It doesn't change that you haven't provided any citations at all for your claims. Where are all these crooked people who are out to get Steve Jordan?
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #156
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Steve Jordan is not a human being, but actually a Droomwazzle from Alpha Centauri.

If he can't prove me wrong, I am right.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #157
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
So, you're trying to suggest that, unless I have specific figures, I'm all wrong?

Sorry. Statement stands. It does not depend on "numbers."
Please read again. I wasn't suggesting anything. Just asking questions. You were the one making suggestions. I personally doubt that so many people are dishonest, but I could be wrong. So therefore I would like to know on what you base these statements. If your statement doesn't depend on numbers, on what does it depend then?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #158
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
That said, I am going to pull back from this conversation, as it has clearly deviated from the main point of the thread
I hope I have put your mind at rest by revealing that the only book of yours that is being pirated is one that you give away for free on your own website. If nothing else it shows that your lack of income has nothing to do with piracy, so most of your original post and a large amount of what followed would now seem to be based on a false assumption. But perhaps more importantly, it will allow you to focus on finding out what is really stopping you from making money from your writing.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #159
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, if you have watched publishing for the last 20 years, this current era is the Golden Age. I can make a 70 percent royalty on my work now. I set the price. I decide what it looks like and how it is marketed. I can follow my instinct that I know my audience better than anyone else on the planet. How can this be anything BUT the best time to be a writer?

Writing is hard, and nothing external changes that personal struggle with the page. But to see your heart and soul turned into a product crassly dumped by NY for short-term (90-day) profit and then left for dead (and safely buried where the author can't get at it for a long, long time), then you will understand that this is like getting a get-out-of-jail-free card, a winning lottery ticket, and a house all at the same time.

Best of all, readers will now drive the ship.

Scott Nicholson
http://hauntedcomputer.blogspot.com
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #160
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:10 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #161
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
M., I've told you before, whether or not you get to sign the books depends on how well you can forge Bradbury's signature. Now come one! These forgeries won't sell themselves on Ebay!
Where have you been? We've missed you.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #162
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have various aliases set up for different genres:

Nicky Spaldino - hard boiled detective fiction

Nickola Spaldinski - political thrillers

Nicholas J. Spalding The Third - historical drama

Nick Rodmeister - erotic fiction
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #163
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
there have been a HANDFUL of people who've said they download off the "Darknet", so it's not as if it doesn't happen.
substract all those who searched for books they already own as pbook in order to skip DIY scanning and proceed to ebook making. from the textfiles available out there.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #164
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
substract all those who searched for books they already own as pbook in order to skip DIY scanning and proceed to ebook making. from the textfiles available out there.
As well as all the people who tried to buy an ebook but were refused because they were smelly foreigners.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #165
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And also subtract those who are very selective in what they rip from the darknet. Although there are hoarders many people will not rip books that they can get for nothing or very cheaply legitimately. Even (some) nasty pirates have principles
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fair use, security, the almighty dollar, writing and technology