Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
CHM to PDF conversion - how to

I have some CHM files I would like to convert to PDF. (Especially I would like to browse some help files of computer software).

What are the solutions out there (which software, freeware, GPL, etc.)?
Is there a solution to retain the links in PDF? Will they work properly on the iLiad as well?

Could you describe the whole conversion process? For example if it is made up of several steps starting with conversion to HTML, etc. I am also interested to know how to set the page size.

(I have seen several CHMs already converted to PDF by someone else using A4 format, but I would like to specifiy rather A5 or custom)

thanks!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
I have some CHM files I would like to convert to PDF. (Especially I would like to browse some help files of computer software).

What are the solutions out there (which software, freeware, GPL, etc.)?
Is there a solution to retain the links in PDF? Will they work properly on the iLiad as well?
Probably better to convert chm -> html... Its compiled html anyway... There's extract_chmLib on Linux which does this, or you can use many Windows based chm -> html items. When I have a sec I'll post up my script that does this for you, as well as writing out a manifest.xml file (for page numbers and other niceties...)
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Links of tools to extract content from CHM files:

chm2web (shareware)
KeyTools (freeware)
CHM Encoder (freeware)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
rmaks
rmaks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Another solution: CHM To PDF Converter (shareware)
rmaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
If you find TARGET="_blank" in html code, you should remove it or replace it with TARGET="_self" [iLiad can't open a new blank browser window]
[TARGET="_blank" is often used to open a fullscreen image.]
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur
Mike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-books

Device: Zaurus C1000/iLiad/SE K750i
I am using my own convertor. Some times it is not so good, but I've solved the problem for me. It is command line, but it needs qt (I am just to lazy to rewrite it under std and in good way), perl, htmldoc and bash.

Just put chm2html, downlink.pl, chm2pdf.sh files from archive to ~/bin or /usr/local/bin (or some where else in path)
and run:
chm2pdf.sh my-chm-file.chm
Attached Files
File Type: gz chm2pdf.tar.gz (27.2 KB, 1804 views)
Mike Kostousov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Have updated my converChm perl script so that it now outputs (optionally) to pdf...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Martin Smith
Martin Smith began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Is the Reader Matrix wrong?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

It lists *.chm as a supported format for the Iliad but this does not seem to be the case according to either this thread or the Iliad site

http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/specs
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
Is the Reader Matrix wrong?
The matrix lists CHM support via FBReader. FBReader does read CHM files, but only if they are small (a few MB). Many CHM files are very large, and FBReader will run out of memory to hold them on the iLiad.

The latest Windows MobiPocket Reader 6.2 Beta version will supposedly import CHM files and convert them to MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Martin Smith
Martin Smith began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The matrix lists CHM support via FBReader. FBReader does read CHM files, but only if they are small (a few MB). Many CHM files are very large, and FBReader will run out of memory to hold them on the iLiad.

The latest Windows MobiPocket Reader 6.2 Beta version will supposedly import CHM files and convert them to MOBI.
The CHM files I have are up to about 6MB so I guess I will need a converter tool.

Thanks for the clarification,

Martin
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
A free 'chm' --> 'html' solution (for Windows users) is discussed in the CHM wiki.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
futurenode
futurenode began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I just built a converter because I needed to do the same thing.
It is all web based, and it converts the files on my server.
It is quite a computationally intensive process, but the BETA is free for now.
Try it out.
http://chm-pdf.futurenode.com/
futurenode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi
Need some help to progress with my conversion of CHM to PDF.
I have tried all chm to PDF or Word converters suggested here.

None work fully on Win7 32 bit, other than Batchworks (the demo). However, that one is priced at USD 199 and I am not going to pay that, it's too expensive for a one-off conversion. (Obviously I had a look around tooo... and no, the only way to get it is to pay.)

Grindinsoft's freeware that extracts the CHM to HTML worked though, so I now have a folder with 400 separate HTML pages and images.
How do I turn that into a PDF without doing each page by page?
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
I'd use Calibre. Free and no need to convert to html first. (Well, actually, I think it does that under that hood, but you can get pdf in one go.)
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote