Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #31
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Just a note, They contacted me today, it sounds like a very small company. The guy had eye surgery last week, he had no access to anything. So he took my info again today, they are supposed to be building and shipping it today, I should get it by Wed. Thanks for the photos by the way Rwood, this confirms it is exactly what I need.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
So, I wonder if I take the dimensions mentioned above by RWood and add 1mm for each of the dimentions, it should be OK (future proof) if one day I buy the leather case?
Hey, astra_lestat, I just got my Reader in the same place as a decent ruler, so here are some actual measurements with the leather cover for you:
W 5" (at it's widest point)
H 7" (very slightly over 7" actually, ~1/32")
D 5/8" (this one too, plus ~1/32" )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #33
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hey, astra_lestat, I just got my Reader in the same place as a decent ruler, so here are some actual measurements with the leather cover for you:
Thanks a lot

What about the case itself? Does it have some hard material inside to protect the reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is stiffened on the front and back flaps, I'd guess it has the same stiffener as whatever's inside the stock case, as it seems about the same stiffness, but it's not what I'd call 'hard' by any stretch. I consider it fine for general hand-carrying about, but I put it in something more ... robust for anything else, and I wouldn't put much weight on top of it.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. Thanks. Probabilty of me buying the leather sony case(when they start selling it in the UK) is rising a lot now. If I am not mistaken the leather case has something harder/stiffer than the stock case for the front cover, isn't it?
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist

Sorry, that's what I was talking about: the leather case/cover. I just realized that I wasn't very clear.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #37
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Since I seem to have the only pouch in captivity at the moment, here goes.

There are two main parts to the pouch and on mine they are coded as green and black. Only the green is Neoprene, the black is a high grade industrial nylon sometimes called “rip-stop.”

The green Neoprene is not lined and is used to form the pocket for the Reader. The top edge of the green Neoprene is finished in binding tape to avoid fraying with constant use. It has a little give that produces a snug but not tight fit. It would stretch more if required; but, more force would be needed to insert and remove whatever was put there. It also is a bit compressible and provides additional protection that way.

The black nylon comprises the back and the flap. On the back there is a little padding – not enough to trust the screen to. The same type of minimal padding is also on the top edge that folds over the Reader. The flap is reinforced with a sturdy but flexible board somewhat akin to what is in the original Sony standard case. It does not feel like it is the rigid plastic that M-Edge talks about in some of their cases.

If you order a pouch to just take the Reader without the case then you must make sure that it is always inserted so the screen faces the flap. That will give it much more protection than the original case did. Reverse it so the screen faces the back of the pouch and it has less protection than provided by the original case.

Placing the Reader in the pouch in either the standard case or the leather case greatly increases the protection to the screen.

Now as to Duke’s question about dropping the Reader from 5’, send me your Reader and I will test it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #38
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood

Now as to Duke’s question about dropping the Reader from 5’, send me your Reader and I will test it.
Had to take a double to take to be sure what I read and you weren't going to drop yours, LOL...... whew.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #39
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
Had to take a double to take to be sure what I read and you weren't going to drop yours, LOL...... whew.
We may be crazy, we're not stupid.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #40
astra
The Introvert

I have placed an order today.
A bit awkward without the proper website, but hopefully it works.

Ordered:
Code:
The dimensions of the pouch are as following:

Colour:   Purple
We will see how it goes.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #41
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I ordered mine yesterday by phone, using R. Wood's measurements, but increasing the width to 5" in case I'm forced to buy a leather cover later on. And speaking of which, on the Sony PRS-500 accessories page, there's an item called "Soft, application," price $18.95. Anyone have thoughts about what that might be? No description provided by Sony.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #42
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Wow what a rough experience with this company. I requested 3 times to have the Pouch sent built WITH the included factory Vinyl cover, I received the pouch today, too small for the Reader with the cover, and it didn't have the hard plastic in front. So I called him, and he said he just hired someone new and they must had screwed up, he will send me the correct cover, and then he hung up the phone. I hope he gets it right this time.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert

Yeah, I am having a bit odd phone calls with them as well. They don't handle it very well unfortunatelly. I hope whatever they sent to me yesterday is going to be what I asked for...
Old 03-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #44
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ
Wow what a rough experience with this company. I requested 3 times to have the Pouch sent built WITH the included factory Vinyl cover, I received the pouch today, too small for the Reader with the cover, and it didn't have the hard plastic in front. So I called him, and he said he just hired someone new and they must had screwed up, he will send me the correct cover, and then he hung up the phone. I hope he gets it right this time.
Will they refund you for sending the wrong pouch back?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #45
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ
Bob (I think his name was) did seem a bit gruff but kindly on the phone. When I indicated that I wanted the pouch to fit over the Reader in the stock cover he asked me for the dimensions of my case. As I said before, the fit was perfect.

Let's hope that the next one is what you want. BTW, what color did you order?