Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you going to give up on the V2?
I'm going to give up and order an Illiad 5 27.78%
I'm going to wait and buy a V2 1 5.56%
I'm going to wait and compare the 2 then choose 6 33.33%
I'm going to get an imported V8 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Give up on the V2?

Due to the fact that most of us are now able to get an invite to order an Illiad how many of you are going to give up on the V2?
I know i've sent 2 emails now requesting an update on partners etc. for the UK and have had no response from Jinke.
Vote now!
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
it's strange that they don't answer...very unusual...but I've decided for the Iliad now anyway.
My second alternative would have been the "modified" V8, it's the best solution if you really want to us it as a book and nothing else, no DRM formats, no scientific paper that need a bigger screen...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
s0me0ne
s0me0ne began at the beginning.

I'm going to wait to see what Sony's price is (although I dont trust them) :/ and I hope to see the V2 available for sale by Sept 1, if not I'm getting a Nokia 770, I'm sick of putting this stuff off, I have a lot of books and stuff to learn and having to sit in front of the comp to do so isnt always confortable or productive
s0me0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Vash
Vash began at the beginning.

Device: Dell axim x30
As soon as LVD is ready to start selling for the US I'm grabbing a improved V8. I'm tired of waiting and it meets my needs for a eink device. Currently all the companies creating these devices are on the put off track, even IRex says that their device is not finished but shipping anyway.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I emailed them yesterday and got a reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinke
We’re still discussing the business cooperation with the local companies and partners. But the process is slower than we expected, because it relates to many issues, such as format, language, interface, content supply and after-sale service etc.
This week we’ll begin to sell the sample of V2 for evaluation to our agents and collaborators. For the sample quantities are limited, we can’t offer the product to personal user.
We hope you can understand that.
So it looks like there is still progress but not as quick as they (and us) would like
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Yup I received an email back stating the same thing. I just wish they would give us the name of the partners so we could negotiate pre-orders of the samples with the same 'I understand that this is a beta product' clause that Irex is allowing us to do.
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
yeah, but iRex took a long time to come up with that option...give Jinke some more time...maybe it'll work out.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Try your access to http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/English/ - I had big troubles today... Didn't manage to open Jinke's site at 6.00 am (Moscow time)=about 11 am in China.
Interesting to see, what kind of changes we will se today at their site...

Well, hardly managed to open http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...vice/index.asp
What we can see - supported files for V2 - PDF, DOC, WOLF, HTML, TXT, CHM, RAR, ZIP ETC.
Were these file types (CHM, RAR, ZIP ETC) in a list earlier or not???
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...nter/index.asp - also has some changes... May be some software changes too?

At least, they are alive and do something

Last edited by TaKir; 07-05-2006 at 10:05 PM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #9
s0me0ne
s0me0ne began at the beginning.

nice find TaKir, those formats are new

The comparison page here proves it:
https://www.mobileread.com/eink/

However I went to the V2 page at:
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...tail.asp?id=20

and it has this list of supported files
PDF Viewer, WOLF Viewer(WOLF File Format:convert from txt,htm,DOC ,PDF,Excel,PPT,Images,mp3 ets),HTML Viewer,TXT Viewer

perhaps they havent updated the product page yet
s0me0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Cool. I added the formats to the current matrix:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 AM   #11
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Cool. I added the formats to the current matrix:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
1) And why are links to Irex and Sony red, and to Jinke - blue?
2) txt, rtf needs conversion for Sony reader - they are in list of Sony's supported files.
And nothig is at V8 list (through conversion - doc, rtf, pdf, ppt, xls etc...)

3) Why no html in Sony's file-format list???
Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
1) And why are links to Irex and Sony red, and to Jinke - blue?
2) txt, rtf needs conversion for Sony reader - they are in list of Sony's supported files.
And nothig is at V8 list (through conversion - doc, rtf, pdf, ppt, xls etc...)

3) Why no html in Sony's file-format list???
1) Blue links = lead to Wiki pages that already exist; Red links = links to non-existing entries, waiting to be added by our readers
2) The list didn't differentiate between native support and support through conversion. Feel free to add the distinction to it. For the V8 (and V2), we specifically mentioned the WOLF format, which, if I understood correctly, is the supported target format of the HanLin. I understood that you could basically convert any content to WOLF with the printer driver; a similar tool exist for the Sony Librie.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #13
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I understood that you could basically convert any content to WOLF with the printer driver; a similar tool exist for the Sony Librie.
For *.doc there is no need to use Hanlin virtual printer - just right click any *.doc and choose make wolf. No need to print it... But of course, you can also use virtual printer for this - but it takes more time...