Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually, heheh, i have to now say that that is apparently not a problem with the 600, but with the book ; i know that because i put it on the 700 to continue reading it, and i am having the same experience. there must be something weird in the code, but i haven't yet taken a look to see what...
The Sony isn't very robust when it comes to ePub coding errors. One of my Dickens books ended up with incorrectly "nested" formatting tags, and the Sony would randomly skip certain pages, while it displayed perfectly on all my other devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Sony isn't very robust when it comes to ePub coding errors. One of my Dickens books ended up with incorrectly "nested" formatting tags, and the Sony would randomly skip certain pages, while it displayed perfectly on all my other devices.
well... that is why it's important to have VALID CODE. i honestly don't think that you can blame the device for having trouble with incorrectly nested tags or other bad code. the book that is giving me trouble is one of your Dr. Thorndyke books, so i will check the tags and see if i can spot the problem, it's quite likely to be something like that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
well... that is why it's important to have VALID CODE. i honestly don't think that you can blame the device for having trouble with incorrectly nested tags or other bad code. the book that is giving me trouble is one of your Dr. Thorndyke books, so i will check the tags and see if i can spot the problem, it's quite likely to be something like that.
Can you point me to which book and where the problem is? I can take the book to the Sony Style shop next week and have a go on the 900 to see if the problem exists since the 900 has a newer ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #34
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
If an ePub has improperly nested tags, that breaks the XHTML spec, and no proper XML reader is expected to read it. Now, more viewers are using an HTML renderer that's been pre-packaged, and will be much more lenient (accepting HTML4 rather than XHTML, which is against ePub spec, and so on)... but it doesn't mean those apps are right against ADE.

When ADE hits an improperly nested tag it ends that file right then and there, and will page break into the next XHTML file. This is true for the 900 as well.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you point me to which book and where the problem is? I can take the book to the Sony Style shop next week and have a go on the 900 to see if the problem exists since the 900 has a newer ADE.
sure, the book is volume 1 of the Thorndyke omnibus which i got here. note that it doesn't happen consistently on *every* page, however it does happen a lot, so you might have to dig a little bit. according to mtravellerh, who posted it, it's a straight conversion to epub, presumably from mobi format (he doesn't specify). i took a quick glance at it just now and i see all paragraphs are enclosed in div tags rather than p tags, and that looks like bookdesigner code to me, so it wouldn't be suprising if something strange happened somewhere along the way since that's like the trifecta for bad code. but i really wouldn't expect the 900 to treat it any differently, nor should it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
If an ePub has improperly nested tags, that breaks the XHTML spec, and no proper XML reader is expected to read it. Now, more viewers are using an HTML renderer that's been pre-packaged, and will be much more lenient (accepting HTML4 rather than XHTML, which is against ePub spec, and so on)... but it doesn't mean those apps are right against ADE.

When ADE hits an improperly nested tag it ends that file right then and there, and will page break into the next XHTML file. This is true for the 900 as well.
yep. it's all about valid code.
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #36
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Well, the main thing I was pointing out is that I know the 900 doesn't treat these sort of errors differently. I occasionally OCR some stuff, and massage the HTML it spits out a bit in an editor, and sometimes my regular expressions screw up and leave a bad tag in somewhere, which I hit when I start reading through. The 505 and 900 seem to behave identically in this situation, and has just told me to add a 'validate XML' step into my process.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Well, the main thing I was pointing out is that I know the 900 doesn't treat these sort of errors differently. I occasionally OCR some stuff, and massage the HTML it spits out a bit in an editor, and sometimes my regular expressions screw up and leave a bad tag in somewhere, which I hit when I start reading through. The 505 and 900 seem to behave identically in this situation, and has just told me to add a 'validate XML' step into my process.
always a good idea. you can also try using epub validator from threepress.org ; i use that to check all my epubs, it's really helpful.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #38
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
So did they fix your reader? Replace it? What did they say was wrong with it? Did you get it back? Whats the deal chickie?!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
So did they fix your reader? Replace it? What did they say was wrong with it? Did you get it back? Whats the deal chickie?!
actually i've got to call him tomorrow (if he doesn't call me first). he said he would call me as soon as he got the diagnostic. as i said, he called the day after i had taken it in to confirm they would take care of it one way or another and said i'd hear from him again tuesday or wednesday, and i haven't had any news since... i'll let you know !
Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #40
zelda_pinwheel

update : having had no news, i called yesterday, but the guy was not there. he called me back this morning and told me he had just received the diagnostic and quotation. the problem is a faulty mother board, which would cost 200€ to replace. he says he thinks most likely they will just exchange mine for a new one (which i would prefer), since the repair is expensive, but it's not his decision, but the head of the department, so now i'm waiting till monday to hear that guy's decision. hopefully in a couple of days i'll have a shiny new 600 in perfect working order...
Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
More than likely. It's a bug in Book Designer - when you insert a table of contents, it incorrectly nests the anchor tags around the headers. Most of the time this is harmless, but every so often the Sony throws a wobbler on it. As I'm editing my books, I'm correcting them, now I know what the problem is.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #42
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
More than likely. It's a bug in Book Designer - when you insert a table of contents, it incorrectly nests the anchor tags around the headers. Most of the time this is harmless, but every so often the Sony throws a wobbler on it. As I'm editing my books, I'm correcting them, now I know what the problem is.
actually, i put it through the threepress epub validator, and it returned a result of "invalid" with over 8200 errors / warnings. no wonder it's making my sony go crazy. i don't think the headers are the only problem. a lot of the errors are multiple instances of the same error, like enclosing paragraphs in div tags instead of p tags, but there are others too. i've attached a copy of the list, or you can just send it through yourself to see.

i'm cleaning up my copy a bit right now because i got tired of missing pages and having to fiddle around to try and make them display, i'll attach it here if i manage to get it validated today and you can compare the code.
Attached Files
File Type: rar results epubcheck.rar (12.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 01-16-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Using <div> rather than <p> for paragraphs is not an error. The ePub validator may not like it, but that doesn't mean that it's an error. I certainly don't know of any device that has a problem with it - do you?

Skipping pages is the problem with the anchor tags. It's easy to fix.

Where have you attached the list? I don't see it.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Got it now - thanks.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #45
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Using <div> rather than <p> for paragraphs is not an error. The ePub validator may not like it, but that doesn't mean that it's an error. I certainly don't know of any device that has a problem with it - do you?
well, i would say my sony seems to have a problem with it... regardless, using div tags for paragraphs is certainly not correct, otherwise we wouldn't have paragraph tags. i realise you don't put the same importance on valid code as i do because we've had this discussion before, but it seems to me this is a good example of why it IS important to code properly and not just use some random tag because it *seems* okay at first glance. the fact that this is the default used by bookdesigner is no reason to do it ; rather, i'd say it's a good reason not to use bookdesigner.

Quote:
Skipping pages is the problem with the anchor tags. It's easy to fix.

Where have you attached the list? I don't see it.
i thought i attached it to my previous post but when i tried to attach it again i got an error saying my text file was too big (there is a 1mo limit for .txt, mine is 1.6mo). i made a .rar and attached that instead, it's there now. you can always just go to the threepress site and do the check there, i just copied the results into a txt file.