Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Well, I thought this week's was the best yet. A big turning point in Mark and Olivia's relationship and a couple of bombshells.

It's on Hulu, but if you're skipping episodes you're going to be really confused.
I've got two episodes in my Hulu queue to watch. Apparently I already TiVo two other shows in the same time slot that I rate higher.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #32
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I'm surprised. There are threads talking about squirrels, avatars and other crap that span pages and pages and pages and ... and here, where it counts, the replies trickle in, and half of them are not even on topic (this is about the b.o.o.k., not the t.v. )

Maybe I just expected more from a "book club" in a forum with the most literary people I (virtually) know.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I'm surprised. There are threads talking about squirrels, avatars and other crap that span pages and pages and pages and ... and here, where it counts, the replies trickle in, and half of them are not even on topic (this is about the b.o.o.k., not the t.v. )

Maybe I just expected more from a "book club" in a forum with the most literary people I (virtually) know.
Perhaps it's just the nature of this book - there isn't quite enough to discuss. As for myself, I read it early and quickly forgot most of it.

Edit: a set of 'book club questions' might have helped the discussion along.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Perhaps it's just the nature of this book - there isn't quite enough to discuss. As for myself, I read it early and quickly forgot most of it.

Edit: a set of 'book club questions' might have helped the discussion along.
Someone here posted a list of questions somewhere. I was going to use them... but neglected to. Perhaps I can dig them up and add them to this thread.

BOb
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Someone here posted a list of questions somewhere. I was going to use them... but neglected to. Perhaps I can dig them up and add them to this thread.

BOb
http://www.sfwriter.com/rgff.htm
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #36
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Well, it wasn't a very good book. I think it only got chosen because of the TV show.

Maybe next month will be better.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #37
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well, taking up question number 2: "If you were in the same situation as Lloyd and Michiko, knowing that twenty-one years down the road you would no longer be together, would you go ahead with the planned wedding? If you were in the same situation as Theo's brother, Dim, and discovered that your dreams were never going to come true, what would you do?"

What I would do is not jump to conclusions. I'd probably assume that I was with another spouse because my first one had died after a long and happy marriage, and in Dim's case I would assume that I was working in a restaurant because I was doing research for my next best-selling novel.

But I'm an optimist.

But that's what got me about this book: All the characters make these huge illogical conclusions from a *2 minute* glimpse *21* years from now. I wouldn't care *what* I saw, if I knew I was still going to be alive 21 years from now I'd whoop and holler with joy.

But that's just me.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
... I wouldn't care *what* I saw, if I knew I was still going to be alive 21 years from now I'd whoop and holler with joy.

But that's just me.
Yes but would you become reckless with your known invunerability?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #39
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes but would you become reckless with your known invunerability?
Um, I'm kinda reckless now.

You only live once, better make the best of it.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #40
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
But that's what got me about this book: All the characters make these huge illogical conclusions from a *2 minute* glimpse *21* years from now. I wouldn't care *what* I saw, if I knew I was still going to be alive 21 years from now I'd whoop and holler with joy.

But that's just me.
Weeell - this was not how I experienced it. IMO all these reactions was the strong point of the plot.

Like many others here, I got excited about the first part of this book. The plot/idea was great, and I especially liked how it got ME thinking about different aspects of the "glimps" into possible futures.

The book introduced some very interesting new perspectives:
First - the collective/communal perspective: So many, and wide ranging, effects on the society as a whole that I didn't think of myself.
Second - the individual perspective: As is questioned above - what would MY reaction have been...?

Unfortunately I agree with all you guys who found that the book lacked so much regarding the characters and plot development. So, over all, I found it thought provoking, but still a disappointment...
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And in related news :

http://science.slashdot.org/story/09...-Dropping-Bird

"Is Douglas Adams scripting the saga of sorrows facing the LHC? These time-traveling Higgs-Boson particles certainly exhibit the sign of his absurd sense of humor! Perhaps it is the Universe itself, conspiring against the revelations intimated by the operation of CERN's Large Hadron Collider? This time, it is not falling cranes, cracked magnets, liquid helium leaks or even links to Al Qaeda, that have halted man's efforts to understand the meaning of life, the universe and everything. It now appears that the collider is hindered from an initial firing by a baguette, dropped by a passing bird: 'The bird dropped some bread on a section of outdoor machinery, eventually leading to significant overheating in parts of the accelerator. The LHC was not operational at the time of the incident, but the spike produced so much heat that had the beam been on, automatic failsafes would have shut down the machine.'"

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...shuts-down-lhc
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #42
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
The reason I enjoyed most of this book was because it was a refreshing hard science Sci-fi story. The science was consistent within the reality of this book and the various comments dismissing the science mostly compare apples and oranges. The problem here is that this is science fiction and engaging in any constructive criticism about the science is futile even laughable.

Admittedly the ending trip through time wasn't the best string to tie this story up with but did provide an interesting stepping point to what could have been a future series. Placed a century or more down the road with some of the same characters. Of course that series has already been written hasn't it?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #43
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
[OT]Aren't eBooks wonderful? I was just sitting there, munching on my saussage, when my eyes passed a book on our wall that had an american flag on it. I was pondering about the stars and the stripes when something hit me - there's this passage in Flashforweard that mentions a new american flag. So, open the ebook, press cmd-F, and presto. Try that with a paperbook without taking a day of vacation, or two[/OT]

Isn't it rather unusual for someone to have a flashforward, with all the associated confusion and shock, to remember EXACTLY how many rows of stars there were on the american flag and how many stars each row contained?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #44
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Isn't it rather unusual for someone to have a flashforward, with all the associated confusion and shock, to remember EXACTLY how many rows of stars there were on the american flag and how many stars each row contained?
It felt a bit forced to me.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

CERN is up to full power:

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/Press.../PR07.10E.html

Our Flashforward will be pretty soon now I guess.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-31-2010 at 12:40 PM.