Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #31
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
me toooo

That's a great offer, I'm impressed. So now my second ever Sony product is also a liseuse. Hopefully I will manage not to lose this one.

Thanks for finding this for us. I hope we all put "Tripitaka at mobileread.com" as the "how did you find this" when we ordered.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #32
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Well that's completely crap, I just got an email from them saying "We are sorry to inform you that the ordered item(s) is not available in this region". I suspect that they mean "we sold you something that we don't have", because they had shipping costs and everything available to Australia.

most peeved.

Anyone in the ook want to reship one to me?

Last edited by moz; 02-15-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #33
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd guess that actually mean that they're out of stock, rather than they won't ship to you. Earlier it was saying something like "22 items in stock", but now it's just the generic "Normally less than 5 days", which I suspect is their default 'out-of-stock' status .
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #34
ulsterfry
eBook addict
ulsterfry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 SC
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If it's got firmware 1.0 (like mine had), you can update to 1.1 using the updater linked in a previous post.

As far as I can tell, there's no on-line updater to take the PRS-505 to the European 1.2 firmware.

I don't know what the differences are between 1.1 and 1.2, but before 1.1 it couldn't read ePUBs.
When I installed ebook reader 2.0 it automatically prompted me to do the upgrade... no problems encountered an it now reads ePub files ( and does a better job with PDFs!!)

many thanks
ulsterfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #35
makincheez
makincheez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'd guess that actually mean that they're out of stock, rather than they won't ship to you. Earlier it was saying something like "22 items in stock", but now it's just the generic "Normally less than 5 days", which I suspect is their default 'out-of-stock' status .
I hadn't done business with them before now and I now think I won't be doing it again either. I ordered a blue Sony 505 on Tuesday with 66 items in stock. Kept checking order status and it kept saying it was 7 days out. The current stock went down everyday for a couple of days. Now my order status says waiting for stock and it is now 38 days out? Got an email saying they had an unexpected surge of orders. Not of my concern; they were shown to have stock for several days afterward. These folks are selling smoke. Dodgy bunch.
makincheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by makincheez View Post
I hadn't done business with them before now and I now think I won't be doing it again either. I ordered a blue Sony 505 on Tuesday with 66 items in stock. Kept checking order status and it kept saying it was 7 days out. The current stock went down everyday for a couple of days. Now my order status says waiting for stock and it is now 38 days out? Got an email saying they had an unexpected surge of orders. Not of my concern; they were shown to have stock for several days afterward. These folks are selling smoke. Dodgy bunch.
Expansys are most certainly not a "dodgy bunch". I've been doing business with them for very many years, and they are a thoroughly reputable company.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #37
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Here's a question for people more familiar with expansys: Are they going to have more stock and is this a permanent sale? For this price? .. I'll get money next month and I think I know where to spend it now.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #38
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Here's a question for people more familiar with expansys: Are they going to have more stock and is this a permanent sale? For this price? .. I'll get money next month and I think I know where to spend it now.

The Expansys website says :
Quote:
Availability: Normally less than 5 days
We have no confirmed lead time for this item - call for more details.
No confirmed lead means that right now they have nowhere to buy more refurbished PRS-505.
I guess the seller was Sony who refurbished a limited stock coming from returns and handed it to Expansys.

It's possible that the offer come back in a few weeks/months, although given the speed at which this batch of PRS-505 was sold it's possible they increase the price.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #39
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Thanks Faenad. But damnit, I was already looking forward to having an e-ink device. Now I have to rethink my priorities a bit as waterstones is a 100€ more expensive to buy from.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #40
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by makincheez View Post
Got an email saying they had an unexpected surge of orders.
I'd bet the surge was caused by this thread.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #41
moz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Expansys are most certainly not a "dodgy bunch". I've been doing business with them for very many years, and they are a thoroughly reputable company.
Could you explain how a "thoroughly reputable company" offers for sale and accepts orders for items which they cannot supply? Especially given how trivial it is to make the "stock available" indicator remove the item from the site once there are no more available.

In Australia we call that dodgy. Also illegal, but obviously laws vary between countries.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #42
makincheez
makincheez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well fair enough. You've obviously had more experience with them than I have. Maybe I'm being harsh? It isn't the way I'm used to being treated by a business and isn't the way I would treat my customers is all. Not very ethical imho. Nah, I'll stand by Dodgy until they prove me wrong.
makincheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 AM   #43
hyd
hyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Iliad
Ordered a silver one from Expansys on Friday and it was delivered by Royal Mail on Saturday. At the time of ordering, they had 46 left. Had to do a firmware upgrade.
hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:13 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Could you explain how a "thoroughly reputable company" offers for sale and accepts orders for items which they cannot supply? Especially given how trivial it is to make the "stock available" indicator remove the item from the site once there are no more available.
They are dependent upon their suppliers for the delivery information. If the supplier gets it wrong, that's outside their control.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #45
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I've made my order Saturday morning. I think there were like 6 units left when I made the order. The status is still "Not processed"... Let's see what happens...
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote