Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #61
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Wait, so your animals urinated into your TVs and it's somehow Sony's fault that the cost of repairing these obsolete models, would be the equivilent of just buying one?

Seriously thats nuts.

And for all the 500 whingers who feel hard done by. Heck at least your reader can actually do all the things stated on the box. Look at us iLiad early adopters...
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #62
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
Wait, so your animals urinated into your TVs and it's somehow Sony's fault that the cost of repairing these obsolete models, would be the equivilent of just buying one?
No, it's Sony's "fault" that the TVs were obsolete and unsupported after only three years. It is also Sony's "fault" that repairs to their current sets are almost never an option anymore. In other words, if it's a Sony, and it breaks, it will pretty much always cost more to repair it than to purchase one new. That's the sort of thing that will cause me to move on to other manufacturers.

Quote:
Seriously thats nuts.
Hey .... I think Sony's attitude about repair and their lack of customer service is nuts, especially considering that their products now have such an incredibly short lifespan. But ... if you don't, that's fine with me.

Quote:
And for all the 500 whingers who feel hard done by. Heck at least your reader can actually do all the things stated on the box. Look at us iLiad early adopters...
No comment.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #63
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Well, then it's not an ongoing Sony policy. If it were, that would be a point in favor of Sony. Since it's not ... my opinion of Sony stays the same.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #64
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Seriously thats nuts.
Sometimes I don't think people actually understand what they read.

Quote:
Funny thing was the conversation I had with the idiot representative. I knew how the TVs had been broken (the cats peed on them ... so I made "pee screens" for the new ones), but she kept insisting that the sets had been dropped and that's how the screens had been damaged. No cracks in them, nothing to indicate they had been dropped ... but she was just certain they had been dropped. What a moron. I decided at some point that she probably wouldn't know the difference if she was dropped or peed on, and I just gave up.
Nothing stated about repairing "obsolete" models. The emphasis was on Sony representatives not listening to their customers.

Look at my tag line.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #65
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

I agree, Slayda. I don't think the poster understood word one about what I was saying. That's even assuming he/she read it at all.

However, my dissatisfaction with Sony does include the issue of obsolesence. Imagine for a moment that those TVs were Sony 500 readers, and the policy was that, if you broke or damaged it after the warranty period ended (1 to 2 years probably), the cost to repair it was more than the cost of a new 505, or 510 .... or whatever model number they were up to by then.

I can only assume that Riocaz would have no problem buying a new Sony reader every 2-3 years. Me, I like to at least have a repair option. I don't like being forced to purchase new just because something broke.

And, in fact, I misspoke with regard to one of the broken TVs. It was not in a location where it could possibly have been peed on. It was simply sitting on the desk in the office (a no cats area), where it sat for three years ... never having been dropped, until it started showing the same sort of screen damage as those that I knew had been peed on.

So ... maybe it was pee. Then again, maybe all Sony TVs start going bad after about three years. I'll never know. However, since I expect to get a little more useable life out of a product (especially one that costs me about $700) than three years, I'm not purchasing from Sony anymore.

Now ... Riocaz, who clearly loves Sony more than life itself, can just keep on buying Sony. If it makes him/her happy, then that's as it should be. I used to be like that, and then Sony started to let me down on a regular basis, so as I saw their attitudes toward the consumer change, my attitude toward them changed as well.
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #66
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amothea View Post
I found the Sony PRS-500 at ebay and people are selling them for over 50 dollars. It seems like a better deal to sell the PRS-500 through ebay or amazon.com and use that money towards buying the PRS-505. It seems like you's get more than you would with a trade in program. But I could be wrong.
If you sell it in Europe in general, and Spain in particular, you can easily double that... You only need a little translation effort.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #67
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I agree, Slayda. I don't think the poster understood word one about what I was saying. That's even assuming he/she read it at all.

However, my dissatisfaction with Sony does include the issue of obsolesence. Imagine for a moment that those TVs were Sony 500 readers, and the policy was that, if you broke or damaged it after the warranty period ended (1 to 2 years probably), the cost to repair it was more than the cost of a new 505, or 510 .... or whatever model number they were up to by then.

I can only assume that Riocaz would have no problem buying a new Sony reader every 2-3 years. Me, I like to at least have a repair option. I don't like being forced to purchase new just because something broke.

And, in fact, I misspoke with regard to one of the broken TVs. It was not in a location where it could possibly have been peed on. It was simply sitting on the desk in the office (a no cats area), where it sat for three years ... never having been dropped, until it started showing the same sort of screen damage as those that I knew had been peed on.

So ... maybe it was pee. Then again, maybe all Sony TVs start going bad after about three years. I'll never know. However, since I expect to get a little more useable life out of a product (especially one that costs me about $700) than three years, I'm not purchasing from Sony anymore.

Now ... Riocaz, who clearly loves Sony more than life itself, can just keep on buying Sony. If it makes him/her happy, then that's as it should be. I used to be like that, and then Sony started to let me down on a regular basis, so as I saw their attitudes toward the consumer change, my attitude toward them changed as well.
But I bet your VW and/or Suburu still does what it did when you bought it. Not sure how that relates to Sony but since so many people bring things like that up on this thread, I guess I'm just too dense to get the connection.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #68
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
we have a 20-year-old Sony TV that works fine, I have a 5-year-old Clie that works, my Sony Reader works even better now that it's updated, etc. etc. Certainly, some of Sony's marketing has been completely crazy (minidisks, CD's that put secret files on your hard disk, etc. etc. etc.) It's a big company. Frankly, I think the Sony Reader is first-rate -- much better than the Kindle, which I bought and returned.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #69
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
But I bet your VW and/or Suburu still does what it did when you bought it. Not sure how that relates to Sony but since so many people bring things like that up on this thread, I guess I'm just too dense to get the connection.
Ummm ... me either. And, honestly, I've never owned either make of car. But, it's a good point, because I'd be really (really) pissed at the auto makers if, after just three year's use, they told me that my car was impossible to repair, that they didn't make the parts for it anymore, that it was considered "obsolete" ... and that my only option was to buy a new car.

Oh yeah ... that would seriously chap my hide.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #70
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
we have a 20-year-old Sony TV that works fine, I have a 5-year-old Clie that works, my Sony Reader works even better now that it's updated, etc. etc. Certainly, some of Sony's marketing has been completely crazy (minidisks, CD's that put secret files on your hard disk, etc. etc. etc.) It's a big company. Frankly, I think the Sony Reader is first-rate -- much better than the Kindle, which I bought and returned.
That's great for you. I am really happy that you have had such good luck with Sony. I wish that I had continued to have a good experience with Sony, but I simply didn't, and because of that I don't think very highly of them anymore.

I really hope that you, and others who buy Sony products, continue to have a good experience with Sony. But the fact that you did doesn't change the fact that I didn't. And, I have to proceed based on my own experiences ... not yours.

And, now I'm curious .... since the discussion was essentially about the lack of support .... how often have you had Sony service or repair your TV or Clie?? Do you actually think that every Sony product you buy will always last you till the end of your days??

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 07-30-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #71
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
--edit-- You know what? It's just not worth it.

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-30-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 AM   #72
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I don't see how your analogy applies to having new features added to a newer make of a car. If you're complaining about Sony PRS-500 repairs, I think kindle and cybook also have high repair costs. But if you're still talking about the new firmware, your thing about impossible to repair and being considered obsolete don't really fit. Maybe you don't see why the fact that the 500 still does everything it was advertised to do matters, but if so.. well, you're expecting a lot from your electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Ummm ... me either. And, honestly, I've never owned either make of car. But, it's a good point, because I'd be really (really) pissed at the auto makers if, after just three year's use, they told me that my car was impossible to repair, that they didn't make the parts for it anymore, that it was considered "obsolete" ... and that my only option was to buy a new car.

Oh yeah ... that would seriously chap my hide.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 AM   #73
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Making analogies is like using carbon dating for things that happened yesterday.

That's right, someone will always find a hole in it and it just won't work. Drop the analogies and you might actually get your point across.
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #74
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@suineg: touché, excellent point. I can't help but to find it a bit ironic that you used a analogy to get you point across.

Hey, I just validated your argument!
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #75
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I don't see how your analogy applies to having new features added to a newer make of a car. If you're complaining about Sony PRS-500 repairs, I think kindle and cybook also have high repair costs. But if you're still talking about the new firmware, your thing about impossible to repair and being considered obsolete don't really fit. Maybe you don't see why the fact that the 500 still does everything it was advertised to do matters, but if so.. well, you're expecting a lot from your electronics.
Ummm ... no. Clearly you didn't read any of my posts. I am not talking about adding new features to something. I am talking about why I lost all respect for Sony as a company and for Sony "support" in particular. I was discussing why I no longer purchase Sony products and why it does not surpirse me in the least that they push products into obsolesence so quickly.

But ... hey, making up a response to a series of posts you didn't read is a lot quicker ... so keep doing it your way. I don't mind.

Tags
duck!