Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Wondering about Chronic Issues

Something I've seen a few times in threads here, and have no explanation for...

Some people seem to have chronic issue with their devices, even after their devices have either been replaced, or brand new ones bought.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this might happen?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This is not Kobo-specific. I can think of a few members who were cursed with replacement faulty-frontlight KPWs, for example.

It is basic narrative causality, I think. It happens because of irony.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Could be they get their replacements from vendors who recycle returns...(Yes Virginia, it happens. Never accept a replacement from a retailer that does not look appropriately sealed.) Could be "bad luck". Could be Pilot Error. Could be the IDI07 error... Tough to pin it down without individual software, hardware and pilot assessments...

OTOH, every now and then one gets the notion that the poster may lack patience, or have not put in enough time to make the adjustment between how they think something might or should work, rather than how it actually does. In all fairness, sometimes the level of difficulty required exceeds the level of participation the user feels should be required.(judgement call) With Kobo, that can sometimes be a fair assessment.

I am, in all humility -just ask me, an enormous bastion of patience, and a tiny little bit of a perfectionist.(whacko nut job obsessed at times) I am the guy who reads manuals before he plays with new toys, often downloading them prior to purchase. I am unafraid to admit more than passing frustration with Kobo, mostly just firmware issues, but nonetheless... That said, despite my occasional bitching, the Kobo readers work pretty well with very minor exceptions or bugs, or so I've found on a personal basis. YMMV.

Or "Chronic", or the use thereof, might be the exact explanation for some...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is not specific to Kobo so - in all fairness - to all owners of Readers, this thread has now been moved to the General Discussion Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Something I've seen a few times in threads here, and have no explanation for...

Some people seem to have chronic issue with their devices, even after their devices have either been replaced, or brand new ones bought.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this might happen?
There's a highly technical term for this phenomenon: Lemon
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It might simply be that some people have an unusual set of requirements or settings that make them prone to firmware glitches.

My own experience with my kobo is that when they've messed something up in the firmware again I can usually find some stable settings I can live with, and then I don't update it again unless I have to (which used to be when I ran the kobo desktop application; something I've stopped doing), or unless there's a really important improvement. Some irritations will remain, such as the handling of widows and orphans*, but I will put up with them.

My experience with my Nook is that it works pretty well, except when it suddenly doesn't like a book. In which case I use the Kobo.

My experience with my Kindle that I've barely had an issue with it, and it's the reader I use the most. I think I confused it slightly once by updating a book that was in a collection, or something.

*I have no idea how recent my firmware is.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In some cases I agree with @DrNefario. Their expectations were more on the wishful thinking side

1)These users may not have fully done their 'homework' before purchasing.

2) When #1 was done with diligence, it may be that the 'specs' were a little vague in that area (for a reason?).

Then there was the more traditional Lemon issue.
My first generation Astak PP would not connect on any USB2 port. (the clock would also reset on power off). The replacement was not much better in that it would connect, BUT not toa system with an Intel 82801 chip . I bought a second, Closeout sale unit. That one (2nd Gen?) did not have the issues that the first batch did.

OTOH Look at all the Calibre/Sigil 'Won't run' on 'OS...' reports showing at the same time as there are many happy users running it on the same OS

Gremlins and interactions

It just seems, that these same users are not great at researching and troubleshooting issues.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
There's a highly technical term for this phenomenon: Lemon
+1 regarding the NOOK Color/NOOK Tablet power cord design. The reviews were so bad and the complaints so widespread that, though those cords cost approximately $20 to purchase, BN would mail a free replacement to anyone who phoned or emailed to complain and request one, even for out-of-warranty devices. The next generation of NOOK media tablets - the HD/HD+ - sport a vastly different type of power cord (and wall adapter), and I haven't read many complaints about them. Nonetheless, BN charges a lower price for the NOOK HD/HD+ cord/adapter ensemble, and has continued the practice of mailing free replacements to anyone who calls or phones them to complain that theirs is faulty.

Last edited by Froide; 04-30-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I think it's Apple's fault

Some folks have been duped into thinking that things like computers just turn on and work. Now me, I spent 27 years on Microsoft. Now there, you learn to get comfortable with uncertainty, to trouble shoot and try unconventional solutions (half the time my wife unplugs her PC with the power on, then plugs it back in to get it to start).

Now if Apple would make an eInk iPad Mini, or one just like that except a little bit smaller, it would work out of the box, do what they expect it to, keep working for 5 years and cost $400 plus tax--for the base unit. It would have no SD slot and no port except the power cord which would be a standard that no other manufacturer uses.

But they won't. So I have to ask myself why not? I think your answer is in there somewhere.

Edit: forgot a couple things.

Last edited by 6charlong; 05-01-2014 at 12:42 AM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If they have chronic issue with their devices, even after their devices have either been replaced, or brand new ones bought, then it is just pure bad luck or they don't treat their device with care.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's a mixture of things. Not doing enough research, expecting more than is possible and not taking good care of the electronics.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it's a mixture of things. Not doing enough research, expecting more than is possible and not taking good care of the electronics.
Or perhaps expectations based on owning or having owned other similar devices with fewer glitches and better/faster overall functionality.

My first computer in the 70's was a wonder and a joy. Windows 3.x was pretty nifty in the 80's. I now cringe at the thought of using either. But some people still do and think they are just fine. Go figure

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote