Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
How many Doc Savage novels were there total?
Lots

See here http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/doc-savage
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Is that the complete collection, 190 books? Thanks!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
See the Wiki article I posted a link to earlier. 181 original mags, 8 additional novels, and a one-off something or other. That adds up to 190.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #19
CO'Neil
Enthusiast
CO'Neil doesn't litterCO'Neil doesn't litter

Device: PRS500
The 325 Shadow novels (available on CD as BuyItNow) are the whole reason I bought a PRS500 in the first place, but they're almost impossible to read in .pdf format. Is there a tutorial on this site that shows how to convert from .htm or .lit to some Sony-readable format?

If I can pull this off, I may actually stop downloading for a while 'cause you all are right about the number of Doc Savage books, too.

A million thanks in advance,
Chris
CO'Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO'Neil View Post
Is there a tutorial on this site that shows how to convert from .htm or .lit to some Sony-readable format?
I don't know about a tutorial, but .lit is easy enough. Download libprs500 & add the LIT's using add book. Select the book to convert & click Convert. Click OK (you can mess with setting first if you want, I generally use the defaults). Libprs will generate an LRF file you can add to your Reader either using the libprs interface or by saving the file & adding it using Sony's software.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #21
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... and they are still illegal to download if you're in the US. That may or may not concern you, but it should be noted.
Under which copyright laws?

The ex-post-facto laws that violate the US Constitution? (Since 1958, there are been almost a dozen ep-post-facto extenstion of existing copyrights.)

Maybe its under the laws that give the RIAA mandatory licenses over the content that I create, in violation of Article I, Section VIII, and the 8th and 14th amendments, which say that no person (me) shall be deprived of liberty or property without due process of law? (the RIAA's "mandatory license" steals my royalites, and takes away my liberty to set my own license conditions.)

Maybe its under the laws that the GPO is not competent enough to publish at http://www.GpoAccess.gov?

The above may or may not concern you, but it should be noted.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Under which copyright laws?
The ones that Conde Nast (?) - the US copyright holders - will take you to court under, just like they did the owner of "BlackMask", should you be unwise enough to try and make them available on a server in the US.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
... and they are still illegal to download if you're in the US.
Which doth verily suck eggs. When I first got into e-books, I was thinking specifically of my Doc Savage collection of novels, which I would have loved to have on e-book format, freeing up an entire section of my bookshelves. I still look forward to the day when I can somehow convert my numerous bookshelves of books to e-book files on one storage disk.

(Full disclosure: Before I knew it was unauthorized, I picked up the last 2 books I needed to complete my collection from Blackmask. The recent threads I've participated in have reminded me of them, and the fact that I have what are now known to be 2 copyright-violation files in my possession. That means now I have to renew my efforts to find the two originals or one 2-book Bantam reprint that is missing from my collection, or wait until Conde Nast finally releases authorized e-books.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
The ones that Conde Nast (?) - the US copyright holders - will take you to court under, just like they did the owner of "BlackMask", should you be unwise enough to try and make them available on a server in the US.
Blackmask had them up for years before Conde Nast got around to noticing them. Conde Nast's lawyer made "Just take down the offending content and we'll go away and not bother you." offers. And it went to court because Blackmask's proprietor chose to fight it.

Meanwhile, though Conde Nast may come after you if you host the content on a US server, downloading it from PG Australia is a rather different matter. First, Conde Nast would have to be aware you did it. Second, they'd have to be bothered to take action. Somehow, I don't see them feeling that the cost of initiating legal action in such a case would be justified.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Meanwhile, though Conde Nast may come after you if you host the content on a US server, downloading it from PG Australia is a rather different matter. First, Conde Nast would have to be aware you did it. Second, they'd have to be bothered to take action. Somehow, I don't see them feeling that the cost of initiating legal action in such a case would be justified.
______
Dennis
I agree with you 100%, Dennis. I was just pointing out their status to be on the safe side.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #26
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Which doth verily suck eggs. When I first got into e-books, I was thinking specifically of my Doc Savage collection of novels, which I would have loved to have on e-book format, freeing up an entire section of my bookshelves. I still look forward to the day when I can somehow convert my numerous bookshelves of books to e-book files on one storage disk.

(Full disclosure: Before I knew it was unauthorized, I picked up the last 2 books I needed to complete my collection from Blackmask. The recent threads I've participated in have reminded me of them, and the fact that I have what are now known to be 2 copyright-violation files in my possession. That means now I have to renew my efforts to find the two originals or one 2-book Bantam reprint that is missing from my collection, or wait until Conde Nast finally releases authorized e-books.)
I have the entire run of Doc Savage Blackmask offered, as well as the entire collection of the Shadow. I happily converted them to Plucker format, and they reside on my PDA.

These books are perfect examples of stuff I'm happy to have electronically, but don't particularly want as paper volumes. I devote limited shelf space to stuff I am likely to re-read.

I don't expect Conde Nast to issue authorized ebooks, nor do I expect a regular publisher to issue paper versions. I think Conde Nast was actively going after places like Blackmask at all because they wanted to protect media rights. Conde Nast probably hopes some one might decide to do a Doc Savage or Shadow movie, and they could license the characters.

If someone did do a movie, it might make it worth a publisher's while to test the market with reprints, but I still don't expect ebooks.
______
Dennis
Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't expect Conde Nast to issue authorized ebooks, nor do I expect a regular publisher to issue paper versions. I think Conde Nast was actively going after places like Blackmask at all because they wanted to protect media rights. Conde Nast probably hopes some one might decide to do a Doc Savage or Shadow movie, and they could license the characters.
That's the impression I have, too... although, considering how badly the Doc Savage movie turned out, they might as well do something useful with the books and re-release them.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
That's the impression I have, too... although, considering how badly the Doc Savage movie turned out, they might as well do something useful with the books and re-release them.
Conde Nast won't -- they aren't a book publisher. Someone who was would have to see a market and negotiate with Conde Nast about rights. I would expect that to be fruitless, because I strongly suspect Conde Nast would have an inflated idea of what the rights were worth. The Shadow and Doc Savage are niche market items these days.
______
Dennis
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Conde Nast won't -- they aren't a book publisher. Someone who was would have to see a market and negotiate with Conde Nast about rights. I would expect that to be fruitless, because I strongly suspect Conde Nast would have an inflated idea of what the rights were worth. The Shadow and Doc Savage are niche market items these days.
I honestly doubt CN expects Doc Savage and the Shadow to be worth that much. Judging by their past actions, they just seem to want to maximize their profit off the property, regardless of its worth on the market. That'll probably keep people away from it, therefore, when they see what CN wants to charge.

They lost their chance to market it when Indiana Jones was big... and now retro adventure is getting tired. At this point, they might as well sell at a loss.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Why? Do you mean that it is illegal for you to have these two files?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote