Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #46
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No no no no no no no no no no no... Black and Decker has nothing to do with cleansing. That is so wrong that it's wrongness is even more wrong then Pluto being a planet for so long.
It was a small planet, but there are those of us who loved it.

No, wait...that's Mickey Mouse's dog.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #47
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
Did not know about the WiFi, I guess I will have to try that out.
I haven't checked out the calibre wifi interaction for my T1. But I have been playing around with Dropbox, mainly using Instapaper's epub conversion & download button. I download the file into my dedicated dropbox T1 folder, and then use the T1 web browser to get the file. (It's a terrible browser, though - for some reason the page is usually dim, and in teeny tiny print.)

I also use Dropbox to transfer books to my T1. I can either put them in my dedicated T1 folder, or get them from the calibre Library folder which I have aliased to Dropbox. As a result, I have access to my entire library directly from my T1, so long as I can connect to a wireless network and my home computer is on.
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The browser is not terrible because it's fitting to the screen what's on the webpage.

You do know that you can zoom out and pan the screen like you would on most mobile phones.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #49
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I haven't checked out the calibre wifi interaction for my T1.
I just tried the calibre server yesterday with my T1. Works like a charm!
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #50
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
(It's a terrible browser, though - for some reason the page is usually dim, and in teeny tiny print.)
You need to use the mobile version of the webpage. Try putting 'm.' (without the quotes) before the web address (e.g. 'm.dropbox.com')
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #51
pelenor
pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 300
So I used Calibre to transfer over a collection of books to see if it would work and it does. However, I transfered one colllection and ended up with 50 collections varying from Fantasy, unread, detective and mystery, epic, etc. Is there areason for this? Do I need to change something in the metadata so this doesn't occur again? Can someone help? OK Never Mind. Figured it out.

Last edited by pelenor; 12-15-2011 at 10:59 PM.
pelenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #52
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
You need to use the mobile version of the webpage. Try putting 'm.' (without the quotes) before the web address (e.g. 'm.dropbox.com')
Thanks - that's an improvement!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #53
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The browser is not terrible because it's fitting to the screen what's on the webpage.

You do know that you can zoom out and pan the screen like you would on most mobile phones.
Yep, but it's jerky & erratic. Using the mobile site helps a lot. I have the Dropbox folders list set as my homepage, & it's much better now.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #54
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
What I love about calibre + T1 is the ability to download and fetch news and put it directly on there, I've just configured CBC's recipe so the Provincial portion is for Nova Scotia (where I live) and have it as a daily magazine on my T1 now!

I am looking at all kinds of other news to fetch and have fun putting it on there. I have always had the highest praise for Calibre. I love that it works well with my T1.
Getting a T1 for Xmas. Is it possible to auto-sync news feeds over WiFi or do you need to manually use the Calibre content server?

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #55
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I imagine it would be possible. I haven't yet tried it myself, as I have had this less than a week, and I am fond of schlurping my stuff on via USB. But I had been able to fetch stuff from my content server when I used the Kobo Touch, so hopefully the T1 should be capable.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #56
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Update: I did try the content server and it works flawlessly.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #57
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
The point of calibres file management has been discussed exhaustively in the calibre forum. The gist being, that the file management is done like this for technical reason AND: If you use calibre as your library management, you are anyway not supposed to rummage in the actual folder/file-structure but let calibre do this for you.
I understand. This means that if you start using Calibre seriously for book management, then you are stuck with it forever. And that is a huge issue for me. I am perfectly happy to just pile everything into various directories and then search for title or author, then copy it to the reader with a simple application.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #58
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I understand. This means that if you start using Calibre seriously for book management, then you are stuck with it forever. And that is a huge issue for me. I am perfectly happy to just pile everything into various directories and then search for title or author, then copy it to the reader with a simple application.
I fail to see why. While Calibre uses its own organization structure for internal use, the program also makes exporting to your preferred structure very, very easy.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #59
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Don't know about other devices, but T1 driver does the same thing that if you use drag and drop filesystem/download from browser. So you can use both.

Biggest advantage to using calibre IMHO (besides a great way managing your ebook collection/metadata/formats) is support for automatic collection creation for book series.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 AM   #60
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just got my Sony T1.
Well, the Reader software left me totally unimpressed. Add the book and then sync too? Why? With the old software (for PRS series), I could just drag and drop the books to the reader.

Well, I have switched now to Total Commander. I just open the T1 as a drive and copy the books.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote