Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #31
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I see a few mentions on Calibre in this thread.

One thing I'm curious about - can Calibre use wifi to sync to a T1? I'd love to be able to sync my nightly news feeds wirelessly and automatically (somehow?) without having to plug in a USB cable like I do with my 350 now.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #32
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I'm very happy with mine too! I had the kindle 3 and nook st before deciding the Sony was the best purchase for me. However, I'm noticing its not as snappy and responsive in comparison to the nook st. The nook zoomed through everything I threw at it - be it manually searching through hundreds or thousands of books, pressing a hardware button, typing, etc..while the Sony chugs along and takes more time to respond.

In the end however I decided I liked what the Sony offered moreso, and returned the nook. But I did try two Sony's at two different stores, and they both were the same...and watching YouTube videos show mine to be in line with others.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #33
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post

One thing I'm curious about - can Calibre use wifi to sync to a T1? I'd love to be able to sync my nightly news feeds wirelessly and automatically (somehow?) without having to plug in a USB cable like I do with my 350 now.

Cheers,
Simon.
You can use Calibre to email the newsfeeds, then open your email in the browser and download the files from your email. The feeds will show up in your periodicals.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #34
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
They're referring to purchased content through Sony Store and the books are in their PC software not permanently on the device. I am sure you can download and read any of these purchased books via the Purchased Content area on the device anytime you want to.
So.......... you're stuck with them on the PC , they can't be deleted from there ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #35
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I put my 350 beside my T1 and yes it is brighter than the 350. Even the hubby noticed it while I was playing with them. Unexpected surprise, especially considering how utterly frustrated I was with the dang computer software.

As to removing books it's apparently not supposed to be done but there's a bit of a glitch workaround. And it depends too on how you put the books on your reader. If you synced your reader and it's various collections you cannot do it, you have to use the workaround I describe below.

On the reader itself if you're inside a collection that was synced to the reader you cannot add or remove a book. It just won't let you. It's greyed out. Which is just stupid if you ask me. *shrugs* You can however look at your main list of books and delete from it which will remove it from the device and thus the collections it is in.

If however you manually made a collection on the reader itself, then yes you can remove or add to the content of that collection. It will not delete the book from the reader itself. To do that you have to still delete from the main books list.

Does that help explain it better? It's one of the things I found incredibly frustrating. If a collection is synced via the computer software there's nothing you can do to it on the T1. You can't add books to the specific collection or remove them. Clearly the Sony folks know something I don't but it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever as to why. None.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #36
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
So.......... you're stuck with them on the PC , they can't be deleted from there ?
Correct! Inside the Reader for PC software on your computer you cannot delete the books. It just won't let you! It's greyed out and not an option to do so. I'm sure you could go through Explorer though and delete the file but not through the new software.

And it's not just for content purchased through Sony either. It's all purchased content. I buy from Kobo and a couple of other places too. It won't let you. Very stupid if you ask me!!

And I'm going to guess because I'm not going to play with this aspect right now, that if you do delete a file of a book you bought from Sony, the next time you start the software the book image will be there with an icon telling you it's ready to download. LOL I downloaded the first free books I could find via the unit to play to see how it works and apparently I have to have it for all eternity. LOL It's some dum kids cartoon book that was just the first thing I saw to test it.

When I gave the software a second chance I saw an icon that I didn't understand. It was for a duplicate of a book already on the computer. In reading the help files it said the icon meant the book was ready for download to the software. Ok so I did and then tried to delete one of the duplicates. In every instance of the duplicate book, the one I just downloaded was not available to remove from the software. Cute huh?

Maybe it's to prevent accidental deletion of a book going with all this cloud theory stuff but I don't like it. I'd prefer a warning DELETING THIS BOOK WILL REMOVE THE FILE FROM YOUR COMPTUER - ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO PROCEED???
Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #37
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I agree with the others. There is a noticeable difference in the text on the T1. It seems darker and has more contrast. I also like the Amassis font. When you combine the text contrast with the new fonts and font sizes it makes reading more pleasurable. Less work to have to strip DRM and apply custom CSS to get the right formatting as many people do. Now you have more options on the device.

Even with the old models and the old software, if a book and collection were synced, then you couldn't alter them on device. It's always been annoying, but it's not new. The big difference is that you can't manually create collections on your device from your computer anymore. Everything has to be synced.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Thanks for explaining that Bookworm Girl. I think I stopped syncing with the computer way back with my 300 and that's why I forgot. With both the 300 & the 350 I could drag a whole colletion via the Sony software from the Library to the Reader and then remove books from the reader either through the software, which was easier & faster or the reader itself.

Obviously that's not considered syncing then. lol Ooops!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #39
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, the only content that syncs both directions is annotations. It would be nice if you could make other changes too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #40
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had thought one could download actual books from one's Calibre collection?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #41
Extragooey
Extragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post

Cheers,
Simon.
See my post at the end of page 1. I use Calibre's content server and browse to it from my T1 and click to download books over Wifi
Extragooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #42
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Just got mine. Just a few quick comments:

It shows that they went the most inexpesive route on this version.

Cover has not magnets to keep the cover closed. Cool feature of previous one that I really liked.

No Low-High settings on the light. Not an issue since I always had it at max.

As others have mentioned, no internal stored stylus...come on! How could this be a saving? It is just something in the mold...man! Anyway, provided stylus now clipped to the front of the cover. We will see how long it last before I loose it...

It is light and it shows. I like the weight savings. I thought I was going to be let down by being all plastic (loved the metal feel of previous ones). But I actually do not mind the plastic case. Inside the cover you can't feel the difference... so all good there.

I like the feel of leather, wish the cover was covered in leather instead of the material is made... on the plus, it has a surface that will avoid you letting the reader slip off your hands.

A few photos:

I hope I don't forget this on another plane, lol.

Last edited by wachuko; 10-08-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Duplicate images
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #43
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I must say I'm puzzled about the screen being better on the T1, I thought it was the same pearl screen as that used on the x50 series.

Perhaps it's something to do with the firmware.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #44
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I agree with the others. There is a noticeable difference in the text on the T1. It seems darker and has more contrast. I also like the Amassis font. When you combine the text contrast with the new fonts and font sizes it makes reading more pleasurable. Less work to have to strip DRM and apply custom CSS to get the right formatting as many people do. Now you have more options on the device.
Yes, the text makes reading at a smaller font size possible, it's that much better. I looked at my 950 vs the T-1 again today, the grey of the screen background looked more similar to me than yesterday, but the text contrast was clearly a winner on the T-1.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #45
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

The cover can't have magnets to keep it closed. Magnets won't work on the plastic Sony.