Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've found that I can store enough content on my 505 that I don't need to use a memory card for content storage. But then, I don't store lots of large books like manga. But for the average books, the internal memory should be enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I really miss HDSD support and folders
How can you miss what you never had?
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #63
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I am considering one of these but it only has three font sizes from what I have seen in store with the smallest being absolutely worthless essentially leaving only two to consider. I am wondering if there is some kind of firmware upgrade that has come out that has added another font size or made them bigger. All the ones in the stores only show three, but I was hoping they just hadn't been upgraded.

I desperately want to order one, but the largest font size is my sweet spot but being the largest leaves me nowhere to go from there.

Some of the other players, SRS700 and Kindle, have larger fonts but aren't worth reading on in my opinion because of the screen darkness.

So, for me it is either 505 or stick with paper until another generation of readers hit.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #64
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I am wondering if there is some kind of firmware upgrade that has come out that has added another font size or made them bigger.
No firmware upgrade, but you can use Calibre to enlarge your book's font.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #65
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I am considering one of these but it only has three font sizes from what I have seen in store with the smallest being absolutely worthless essentially leaving only two to consider.
Well, it's worthless to you. For me, the medium is too big, and the large is laughably huge. I read only on the smallest font size, and I still wish there was an even smaller one.

So I'd guess Sony picked very good sizes.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #66
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
If you think the largest is laughably huge then you ought to check out the Kindle and the Sony prs-700's largest fonts. You'd would find them a comedy club compared to the 505. While I like the font size and cheapness of the books on the Kindle, the readability of the text itself is much better on the 505 than both the other two put together. Still I have decided to not get a reader at all this generation. None of them hit the sweet spot I am looking for and for that much money one should feel they got their moneys worth. None of these gimme that warm fuzzy. They all feel and look like the 56k modems did in the early days of the internet. Seemed awesome at the time, but after only a few years were a joke compared to broadband. So, I think I will just wait for broadband when it comes to ereaders. But I truly am happy you all love yours.

My hope is to join you some day. Farewell and happy reading.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #67
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
I am considering one of these but it only has three font sizes from what I have seen in store with the smallest being absolutely worthless essentially leaving only two to consider. I am wondering if there is some kind of firmware upgrade that has come out that has added another font size or made them bigger. All the ones in the stores only show three, but I was hoping they just hadn't been upgraded.
I sympathize as I'm visually impaired myself.

I've found the large font to be a different size on different books. On some it is too small for me to read, and on other books it's readable. Considering I can't read a "normal" paperback at this point, the Sony 505 at least keeps me reading until my eyesight deteriorates further.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #68
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I am wondering if there is some kind of firmware upgrade that has come out that has added another font size or made them bigger. All the ones in the stores only show three, but I was hoping they just hadn't been upgraded.
No, there's not; it's only the 700 that has more the XL & XXL sizes.

As a point of fact, the sizes actually depend on the book itself, as each book gets created with a 'base-font' size, so you could theoretically repackage each book using a bigger font-size, what I think you ought to be doing is taking a look at the Cybook, as one of it's strongest points is that it supports user-specified fonts and a larger range of font sizes than the Sony.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You can use user specified fonts if you are using ePub. And you can mix multiple user specified fonts as the contents warrants. This is on the 505 & the 700.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #70
LOHAD
LOHAD began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Got my 505 today, my first ebook reader, and have been playing with it (including grabbing many books off this site -- thank you!!!)

BUT ...

Sony's eBook Library software SUCKS!!!!

Why in the name of Steve Jobs don't they allow the changing of metatext? If I have two books by Bob Smith, and one comes up in the author list as "Bob Smith" and the other comes up as "Smith, Bob" there is no way to change it.

Okay, well there is: I can go into DATABASE>>>CACHE>>>MEDIA.xml and tweak the file, which I did for about two hours: changed titles, authors, and even title sort code.

But then the reader decided it didn't like the .xml file, and started getting hung up. Those damn revolving arrows. My only alternative: Reset the device ... which, of course, hosed my updated .xml file.

Sony REALLY needs to update eBook Library to allow the tweaking of title and author. C'mon, Sony -- this is L-A-M-E!
LOHAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #71
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just got a 505 too, and I'm not going to even install the ebook library. Just use Calibre, it's like the iTunes of books and eclipses Sony's pathetic eBook software.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #72
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I just got a 505 too, and I'm not going to even install the ebook library. Just use Calibre, it's like the iTunes of books and eclipses Sony's pathetic eBook software.
I would reconsider it.

eBook Library does a wonderful job of uploading ebooks to the reader. It does the pagineting/parsing for you. so, when you open ebook for the first time on the reader it opens instantaneously. The same applies to changing font size. Instantaneously.....think about it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #73
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
You can install both, as long as you only use one at a time. Then you can try them out, as they've both got useful features, and the sony software is designed specifically for the sony.

I use both, and although I use calibre more, I think it's worth trying the sony software. Although I'm in the UK, I have the US software so that I can download free books from the store.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #74
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
(Mispost - nothing to see here - move along, please! :-))
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #75
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for that info, I didn't know that. It sounds like there are some benefits to Sony's software after all. But I should have mentioned that I'm a Mac user and generally too lazy to hook up my old PC laptop.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote