Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #91
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Sorry - I just realised I misunderstood part of what you said in your original post, and asked a mildly silly question as a result. Apologies (cos I know how grrrrr! it is when it seems that people simply haven't bothered to read what one wrote! )
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #92
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahome View Post
I'm saying the kindle book I bought show's page numbers fine, but when I try to make my own .mobi file from a free epub file, and try to make an apnx file from the windows app, it doesn't work. How do you convert to azw?
It looks to me as if the Kindle page number generation is built into the Kindle's device interface plugin. Which may mean a simple conversion to mobi or azw won't do the trick.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #93
tamahome
tamahome began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Sorry - I just realised I misunderstood part of what you said in your original post, and asked a mildly silly question as a result. Apologies (cos I know how grrrrr! it is when it seems that people simply haven't bothered to read what one wrote! )
No problem. My original post was a little terse.
tamahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #94
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamahome View Post
... when I try to make my own .mobi file from a free epub file, and try to make an apnx file from the windows app, it doesn't work.
The page numbers are provided by the APNX file. If it is named the same as the MOBI file then there is something wrong with the APNX file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny
It looks to me as if the Kindle page number generation is built into the Kindle's device interface plugin. Which may mean a simple conversion to mobi or azw won't do the trick.
Currently the APNX is only generated by calibre when sending a supported format (MOBI, AZW, PRC with BOOKMOBI internal type) to the Kindle using "Send to Device." This is when it happens but the calibre.devices.kindle.apnx.APNXBuilder class could be used outside of the device interface to generate an APNX. A GUI plulgin for instance could be written which calls APNXBuilder.write_apnx and creates an APNX for a specified MOBI file.

Due to the overwhelming popularity of people wanting to have and use APNX files with the Kindle PC and iPad apps I plan on creating a GUI plugin to do this very thing tomorrow. Also, I'm tired of people asking about it and how to do it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #95
tamahome
tamahome began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Score!
tamahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #96
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GUI Plugin for generating APNX files can be found here.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #97
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Due to the overwhelming popularity of people wanting to have and use APNX files with the Kindle PC and iPad apps I plan on creating a GUI plugin to do this very thing tomorrow. Also, I'm tired of people asking about it and how to do it.
I'd like the record to show I was the first person to continue to bother you regarding adding this functionality. Thank you so much!
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #98
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I'd like the record to show I was the first person to continue to bother you regarding adding this functionality. Thank you so much!
I would advise you read this regarding issues around the APNX files in the Kindle apps.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #99
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
I would advise you read this regarding issues around the APNX files in the Kindle apps.
Strange, is that an issue only with their desktop Kindle app? I've generated APNX files for books and moved them onto my Kindle 3 and the page numbers work without any issue.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #100
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Strange, is that an issue only with their desktop Kindle app? I've generated APNX files for books and moved them onto my Kindle 3 and the page numbers work without any issue.
It's only an issue with Kindle4PC, Kindle for Mac and possibly the Kindle for iPad apps. The generated APNX files work fine in th Kindle 3 device.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #101
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
This may be old news but I just found out that the 1.2 release of KindleGen can generate page numbers from an NCX file. See NCX in the wiki for details on the syntax. They can also get them from the ADE extension for page-map. So there is a way to generate the exact numbers if you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #102
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So there is a way to generate the exact numbers if you wish.
Dale
The APNX format can generate exact page nunbers too. The issue with the APNX, which will apply to NCX as well, is where do you get the mapping information that says chapter x starts on page y?

There is no publically avaliable information that maps places in an ebook to a page in a print edition. The only sources right now are purchased books. If you buy the book with this info there is no need to generate an APNX (or NCX) yourself to approximate.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #103
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The APNX format can generate exact page nunbers too. The issue with the APNX, which will apply to NCX as well, is where do you get the mapping information that says chapter x starts on page y?

There is no publically avaliable information that maps places in an ebook to a page in a print edition. The only sources right now are purchased books. If you buy the book with this info there is no need to generate an APNX (or NCX) yourself to approximate.
Well, if you wrote the book you would have a copy, or perhaps getting one from a library or mapping from a PDF. I do agree that it is not an easy task unless the source program containing your book source can do it for you. I suspect this will happen soon now that it is defined. Since the ADE method does not create a legal ePUB file and the NCX method does I would hope Adobe will see the light and switch.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #104
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Quote:

If there is a PDF version of the book in the calibre library, it might be possible to get the page mapping from there. And it would be really cool feature, by the way, especially for people reading scientific stuff that mostly comes in PDFs now and that has to be citable.
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #105
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i "bought" a free Kindle book from Amazon today & had it delivered to my KIndle for PC app. I see that it came with an apnx file.
I see also there's no obvious way to add a .apnx file to calibre database.

So what is the current thinking & the longer term plan here, if any. - to ignore those files & have calibre generate its own equivalents or to come up with a way of importing tehm alongside of the azw book ?

also, I have the calibre plug in that brings in the Kindle book & strips its DRM in the process - do I have to worry about DRM in the associated apnx ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apnx, page numbers