Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
when we say we're fine with our non-wifi devices, we're not always speaking out of jealousy or ignorance. We probably have various reasons for being happy with what we have. For myself, it's the various things which are best done on a proper computer, such as the habitual stripping of DRM, of backing up all my purchases to a remote webserver at least, and if necessary, fixing metadata and formatting. Then there's the things I do which encourage my latent miserliness, such as price comparison shopping, checking libraries, trawling all over the net for reviews, and having about enough browser tabs open that I drown in a sea of relevant information..

I quite agree, I prefer to look at what's out there before buying, and also strip DRM, tweak anything and create backup which can only really be done on a computer. I would not want another internet device, my desktop & laptop computers and iphone are quite sufficient. They are excellent at this so why would I want to surf the web on an inferior device?
For me personally, my ideal reader would be the 350 with a 6" screen. My 650 is nearly perfect, but I could do without the extra cost and weight of external memory cards and audio capability.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Not everyone uses the WiFi/3G capability to surf the web. I have used the browser once out of curiosity. It was slow and pretty bad and I have never used it again.

I use it to downlaod books. There are others who have the capability and don't use it because they do just what you do.

I hope that they release a non-wireless capable version for the folks who don't want it and a wireless capable version for the folks who want it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I hope that they release a non-wireless capable version for the folks who don't want it and a wireless capable version for the folks who want it.
Hmmmmm.. ... Oh... ...THEY ALREADY DO!!!

david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Hmmmmm.. ... Oh... ...THEY ALREADY DO!!!

I didn't think I needed to say "If they release a version with 3G/WiFi..." since that is what we were discussing.

I'll be more clear next time. (winks)
Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
(sigh)

How many times does Amazon have to say it screwed up and that it won't happen again before that issue is a non-issue?
snip
Actually, this may be a good thing. Can you imagine Amazon or any other service even thinking about doing such a thing now? Look at the black eye Amazon got and they still have to battle the issue as we speak (or type). The bad publicity that caused will make any company think twice before pulling such a stunt again... imo.

It's good to know that Amazon more than made up for that mistake, but it's important to realize that they now know (as do the other services) what a backlash that will create if such a thing ever happens again.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have a look at this interview before you jump to high at the prospect of wifi....
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #22
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdav View Post
I know many want the 3G option, but I am happy to transfer my books via pc. I have wondered if there is an app that allows you to buy the book on a smart-phone and transfer it to the reader. It is also nice to know that (as happened with the Kindle) Big brother cannot reach out and delete the book you are reading because of a copyright dispute that happened after the book was bought.
The Kobo App for Blackberry worked this way with the original Kobo device. You bought the book on your phone and transferred it via bluetooth to your reader. It was kind of neat, actually.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Have a look at this interview before you jump to high at the prospect of wifi....
Interesting article. At least one released report on ereader market share had the Sony in fourth place in the third quarter of 2010 behind the Kindle, Pandigital ereaders, and the Nook.

Perhaps Sony is taking note of the changing market and adding in a feature that is popular with two of the top three e-reader companies.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #24
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
I didn't think I needed to say "If they release a version with 3G/WiFi..." since that is what we were discussing.

I'll be more clear next time. (winks)
I find it laughable, if not slightly condescending, that you question my comprehension.

You rail on about the wonders of Wifi and 3G and how much we would all enjoy it if we would just experience it, how 'cool' it is.

I pointed out how some of us are fully aware of the capabilities of the technology, and STILL prefer to have a non-Wifi, non-3G device.

I continued to point out that, should we so desire to take advantage of it, there is an ALREADY EXISTING Sony model, the PRS-950, with Wifi and free 3G, available for purchase.

Yet, you continue to talk in terms of 'if'. There is no 'if', as the event, the creation of a Sony with wifi and 3g, has already occurred.

So what is it exactly that I'm not understanding?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I do think that Sony better positions itself with have 3G/WiFi on its device because a large number of people like that feature. It is a standard feature on the Kindle, Nook, and Kobo. The Kindle and the Nook both have a larger market share then the Sony.
I disagree with your saying that both the Kindle and the nook have a larger market share then Sony. Sony is also sold outside the USA and the nook is not. I'm not sure about the Kindle, but I would think that Sony has sold more readers then B&N. Remember, Sony has been at it a lot longer then B&N. And I'm not sure overall about Sony vs Amazon. There is no hard data and all of this is just a guess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree with your saying that both the Kindle and the nook have a larger market share then Sony. Sony is also sold outside the USA and the nook is not. I'm not sure about the Kindle, but I would think that Sony has sold more readers then B&N. Remember, Sony has been at it a lot longer then B&N. And I'm not sure overall about Sony vs Amazon. There is no hard data and all of this is just a guess.
http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...ers/1295374131

Here is where I got my numbers.

I apologize if my comments angered anyone. I responded to the speculation that the 650 is being discontinued in its current format and might come out with a wireless option.

I did not intend to step on toes.

david_e: I don't believe I have railed on about the wonders of 3G. I said I would probably buy a Sony 650 if it added wireless. I said that I don't use the browser but that I like being able to download my books wirelessly. I was not trying to be condescending in any of my posts. I thought that we had been discussing the 650 getting wireless and was trying to joke with you and your post.

I'll step away from the topic.

ETA: When I posted in this topic it was in the general news section, not on the Sony boards.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 01-24-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #27
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
The UK has it's own Kindle store. Presumably other countries have their own as well.
Actually, no. The UK Kindle store is available only to those resident in the UK or Ireland. Anyone in Continental Europe with a Kindle has to buy their books from the US Amazon store (subject to geographical restrictions, of course), as do those in Asia and Australia.

Some of us specifically chose not to have a reader with wireless capabilities. Lord, I hardly need any temptation to impulse buy books for my Sony. I'm always at least 8 to 10 books ahead of myself. And connecting it to the PC to download a newspaper once a week at least reminds me to charge the thing up.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...ers/1295374131

Here is where I got my numbers.

I apologize if my comments angered anyone. I responded to the speculation that the 650 is being discontinued in its current format and might come out with a wireless option.

I did not intend to step on toes.
You did nothing wrong. You stepped on no toes. You did nothing wrong. Well, actually, you did one thing slightly wrong. You based your response on an article full of guesswork. Sony, Amazon, & B&N do not give out sales numbers so any article with number like that is pure guesswork. It could be way off for all we know. And to be honest, since it's a guess, I don't hold much stock in it. The others listed there, I don't know if they give out sales numbers or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #29
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The problem for Sony is just that: from the pure "value" purchase standpoint Kindle is so much more desirable. Most people would feel that the free worldwide 3G internet alone is worth $189. Yes, it may look and feel cheap, and it may be tied into the Amazon store, but for an average user these minor unpleasantries don't matter. What matters is that it's been all over the news, and the neighbor has it.

How come the piece of garbage called nook has seemingly become more popular than Sony, and virtually overnight - that one is beyond me. Marketing is a very powerful tool...

At the same time I cannot fully understand if Sony is simply having supply problems, or really getting rid of good product lines. The reader shortages followed by the accessories shortages followed by the the reader shortages... And their own store claiming those product discontinued. Crazy!
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You did nothing wrong. You stepped on no toes. You did nothing wrong. Well, actually, you did one thing slightly wrong. You based your response on an article full of guesswork. Sony, Amazon, & B&N do not give out sales numbers so any article with number like that is pure guesswork. It could be way off for all we know. And to be honest, since it's a guess, I don't hold much stock in it. The others listed there, I don't know if they give out sales numbers or not.
Jon,

Is there any reason to disbelieve that those are reasonably accurate educated guesses? They have to have something to calculate those numbers. How are they derived?

And speaking of assumptions, what is this one based on?
"Sony, widely assumed to be No. 2 in the e-reader market behind Amazon"

And speaking only for myself, connectivity ranks pretty high on the required feature list. Even though I spend 99% of my time disconnected (as per the article), having the availability of wifi/3g for purchase and/or file transfer is a major plus for me.

Thus far all my books with one exception have been purchased and d/l to my computer and emailed via calibre to my kindle.com address. The one exception was too large for Google mail to send, so I had to sideload that one. Sideloading is no big deal, but I find wifi connectivity more convenient.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote