Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #31
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Good point none of the readers that I mentioned have all of the features they have one of the features. Interesting all of those languege dictionaries. I also believe that you have the ability to change fonts, I can't.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Good point none of the readers that I mentioned have all of the features they have one of the features. Interesting all of those languege dictionaries. I also believe that you have the ability to change fonts, I can't.
You cannot change the fonts on the fly.
When you create ebook, you can embed fonts. I am not sure but I think you would have to add something manually to the reader, so it can understand the embedded fonts in epub.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #33
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You can't? Hmm, I thought some readers could.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #34
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
You can change font size, but not the font itself.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
You can't? Hmm, I thought some readers could.
I think CyBook has quite a few built-in fonts.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #36
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast
Dixiemsala began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle 2
Adding to my prevous post, my 350 has page turn buttons also, but, to me (and maybe it's because I'm used to my Kindle), they are in an awkward place for me, so I do swipe.

As far as enlarging the font for definitions, that's a lot to go through each time.
Dixiemsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #37
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemsala View Post
... they are in an awkward place for me, so I do swipe ...
That's how I felt about it too, at first. However, after using my 650 for a while, it dawned on me that the page-turn buttons are rarely my first choice. Like you, I prefer to swipe - with my right thumb, while holding the reader in the palm of my right hand, despite the fact that I'm left-handed!

Whereas, I do use the OPTIONS and magnifier buttons frequently. So, I think maybe the designer(s) chose to position the page-turn buttons to the left of the home button, because they rank lower in priority of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemsala View Post
As far as enlarging the font for definitions, that's a lot to go through each time.
Not really, though I understand why you think way. My instructions were rather long-winded, for purposes of clarity.

Once the optimal dictionary font size has been selected, all you need to do, in addition to what you already do to look up a word, is tap on the A icon. That seems simple enough to me.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #38
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I really like the screen's clarity on my 650 and the clean lines of the device. The keyboard has already been mentioned, but to me all the buttons down the side of the Jetbook and Aluratek Libre Pro are distracting as well. Also, I found them to limit how I could potentially hold the device.

Like many others who already posted, the ability to access e-books from my public library is a wonderful feature along with not being locked into one retailer. Touchscreen for using the menus is great (the 600 convinced me of that, but the fuzzy appearance of the screen prevented me from buying) as is the easy dictionary feature.

Are you trying to understand why people will pay the extra money for a Sony over a less expensive Kindle, Jetbook, or Libre Pro? If so, all I can say to help is that the experience of a device is very personal and cannot be picked off a computer screen based on a spec or feature list. Whether a couple of features plus or minus on a device makes a difference is part of the decision process that isn't just about the features for money part of the equation. Recently my parents needed to replace a dying computer and decided on a laptop this time. They requested my husband's assistance as the family's IT guy. It annoyed my father to no end that my husband would not do anything until the two of them could go shopping together to touch the laptops instead of picking something from a website. By the end Dad understood because what he actually bought after trying many floor models was nothing like what he would have chosen online based on just a list of features and specs.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #39
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I just tried out enlarging the dictionary text. Cool, I didn't know you could do that! On the downside, it does nothing to the little initial text popup that comes up, you have to click on the dictionary icon to get the full page of dictionary text and see the bigger text. On the upside, it looks like the setting persists, you don't have to go through that step each time.

Oh how I wish Sony had the capability to change fonts ON THE READER. And also came with some better fonts. That has been my biggest disappointment with it.

As much as I love love LOVE my Sony, it is hard for me to recommend it to others because I do think it's overpriced for the feature set. You have to be willing to pay a premium for it. For me, it was worth it (and we can afford it).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #40
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
The 650 is over priced. It's an extremely good device, but it's priced appropriately for the ereader market circa 2009, not 2010/2011.

The nook does have multiple fonts that you can change "on the fly", iirc.

The 650 is what the 600 should have been... It's unfortunate it's at such a premium.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #41
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
... On the downside, it does nothing to the little initial text popup that comes up, you have to click on the dictionary icon to get the full page of dictionary text and see the bigger text ...
I imagine that the rationale behind leaving it set as a uniform size, is so that the headword, part of speech, first definition number and initial part of the definition, can always be seen. I can read the text in the pop-up, but it is small, so I don't bother. I soon got into the habit of automatically tapping the A-book icon to get full-screen view.

I often want to scroll back to the root word, so I need the full-screen view to be able to use the swipe gesture. For example, if you look up the word genteelly, you get genteelly adverb. So, the full-screen view is required to be able to swipe back a page, to see the definition of genteel.

BTW - I have just discovered that it isn't necessary to tap the A-book icon. Just tap the text anywhere at the bottom of the pop-up. The word look-up feature works just as well with dictionary itself. Double-tap any word in the dictionary, to look up that word up in the dictionary. For example, if you word you are looking up is deists, where the definition says Compare with theism, just tap on the word theism to look it up.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-25-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #42
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
... The nook ...
According to what I've read, it's not available in the EU.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #43
Ayle
Enthusiast
Ayle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 650
A friend got a nook for her husband and asked me to load some books today (I'm the official geek/ unofficial technical service at the office). I loaded them, then tried to check them by touching the upper screen. So i'm officialy spoiled by my 650. I don't regret choosing it, I love it.
Ayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #44
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
dorino, by overpriced I assume you are comparing it to the Kindle wifi? That really did set a new standard for value, IMO. Sony appears to have responded with both the current price drop and a trade-in program. With the trade-in they are clearly targeting the early adopter market, those of us who bought a last-generation e-reader. The net cost is BELOW the Kindle wifi to us.

I'll agree it is very selective marketing and Sony is strange in lots of ways. I imagine they want to make a profit on the hardware, as their e-book store is likely losing to Amazon and B&N (just my opinion, no link to share yet).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #45
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I thought everyone knew that the K3 is being sold below cost.

I don't have a problem with the cost of the Sony, but I'm probably in the minority.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote