Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #61
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I use all custom photos I took, several of my pets, favorite movie scenes I captured, or a few images I found. I love that feature that you can customize the screen display while the reader is in sleep mode. I found how to get rid of the message the first day to not detract from the image.

The main reason it's good to convert the images to B&W before transferring is to save on space. Saved space for the images means more room for books. Resize larger images to 800x600, which is the screen resolution, that will help reduce file size. Use a good compression software to further reduce the file sizes (I use an old program SmartSaver Pro which still works flawlessly). While the sample images were about 1700KB, my images are between 100-200KB and still look perfect on the reader.

On a few images, they looked washed out and not much detail on the reader until I upped the contrast and tried again. So while the dog pic here might not look that good for computer viewing, it looks very good on the e-ink screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Niki.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	66033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spock.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	66035   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheUninvited.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	66036   Click image for larger version

Name:	OldTree.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	66037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IllusionVanity.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	66038  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #62
Cliffdweller
Cliffdweller doesn't litterCliffdweller doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950
Sony PRS-950 Audubon Screen Theme 2

A few more vintage Audubon birds for use as a Sony screensaver:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aud_Piliated.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	66039   Click image for larger version

Name:	aud_Thrush.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	66040   Click image for larger version

Name:	aud_warblers.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	66041   Click image for larger version

Name:	aud_Fringilleds.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	66042   Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	66043  

Last edited by Cliffdweller; 02-04-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Cliffdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #63
Cliffdweller

Sony PRS-950 Audubon Theme 3

Final five Audubon screens:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aud_ivorybill.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	66046   Click image for larger version

Name:	aud_Shrike.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	66047   Click image for larger version

Name:	CeruleanWarbler.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	66048   Click image for larger version

Name:	sparrow.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	66049   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhoopingCrane.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	66050  
Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #64
Cliffdweller

Greyscale vs Color

Out of curiosity, I converted five of the Audubon images to grey scale (B&W) as suggested by Ripplinger to see if there was a significant difference in how they looked on the Sony Reader. The file size is slightly smaller (although the impact on overall device memory is negligible), but the images might have slightly better contrast. Judge for yourself.

BTW, these Audubon images are public domain, and so use as you please.
They also work on the Sony PRS-650, but you should crop them as desired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gs_bluejay.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	66069   Click image for larger version

Name:	gs_CeruleanWarbler_gs.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	66070   Click image for larger version

Name:	gs_eagle.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	66071   Click image for larger version

Name:	gs_GreatBlueHeron.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	66072   Click image for larger version

Name:	gs_Thrush.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	66073  
Old 02-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #65
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BMP images are not compressed at all, so even in black and white, the size will still be large. The one file I downloaded as an example gave these results, and it's a pretty big difference:
Color .bmp, 1743KB
Color .jpg, 229KB (uploaded this one)
B&W .jpg, 211KB
B&W compressed .jpg, 94KB (uploaded this one)

I uploaded just 2 of the test images so you can see the quality is virtually the same, especially when viewed on the reader. I have a PRS-350 with only internal memory, so I'm more conscious about conserving space, but I always try to compress images as much as possible as long as quality isn't sacrificed, especially for anything on the internet where others will be viewing the images.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AudobonColor.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	66076   Click image for larger version

Name:	AudobonB&Wss.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	66077  
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #66
Cliffdweller

Audubon Collection in a Zip File

To make it easier for those who would like the Audubon birds, I've put the 15 images together in one Zip file. These have been converted to greyscale and saved with moderate JPEG compression so as not to take up too much memory. These are sized for the Sony PRS-950 (600x991) but will also work with the other Readers. See the website "Vintage Printable" for other good, public domain material.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AudubonCollection.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	66105  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reader_Audubon.zip (1.45 MB, 202 views)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #67
Cliffdweller

Classic Sea Shells

A couple classic sea shell collections, optimized for the Sony PRS-950.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sea-shells-reader.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	66241   Click image for larger version

Name:	sea-shells-reader_2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	66242  
Attached Files
File Type: zip shells.zip (448.5 KB, 158 views)
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #68
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Bump on the thread and a bit of content.

Hit the link for the wallpapers I use:

PRS-350 Wallpapers
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #69
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I've been using some beautiful Ansel Adams photos as well as pics of my birdies.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #70
soloist66
Enthusiast
soloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle PW11, iPad Air
I've been using the cover image(s) for whatever book(s) I'm currently reading for my standby screen.
soloist66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #71
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist66 View Post
I've been using the cover image(s) for whatever book(s) I'm currently reading for my standby screen.
Great minds think alike.

I was using a few images that I really like but than I started usign the cover of the book I am reading and it seems so much nicer.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #72
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
Great minds think alike.

I was using a few images that I really like but than I started usign the cover of the book I am reading and it seems so much nicer.
How do you do that? Is there a setting somewhere in the reader that I've not noticed?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #73
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I've been using a cover of the current book also lately and like it. There's no setting for it, but it takes just a few minutes to take the cover you want, make it 800 x 600 greyscale in your image editor of choice, and upload it to the reader.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #74
soloist66
Enthusiast
soloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle PW11, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
How do you do that? Is there a setting somewhere in the reader that I've not noticed?
Shopaholic. As Ripplinger mentions, there is no setting. You have to find an image for the cover of the book you want to use and then handle as you would any other standby screen image.
soloist66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #75
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Oh ok thanks to both Ripplinger and Soloist66. That I can do. I had thought perhaps it was a setting. That would be a very neat option and something for them to perhaps consider in a future reader OS.