Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Thank you -- I had somehow deleted that folder, so created a new one and things are fine now!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #17
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I use a collection of personal photos, LolCats and Calvin & Hobbes
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #18
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've spent fair amount of time on Nantucket island, so picked this one as it's a vertical image. The "Reader is sleeping now" message comes through centered in the sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nantucket.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	60754  
Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
@frquixote
Thanks for the tip! Although I fiddled with it and figured it out, posted too soon I guess
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
You can also take off "the reader is sleeping" message if you want to, and just have the image.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
You can also take off "the reader is sleeping" message if you want to, and just have the image.
Please can you tell me how you can do this?
Edit: I just found myself in the manual. Thank You.

Last edited by giododa; 11-07-2010 at 10:23 AM.
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks, elemnoP, for the tip! I did not realize that you could turn off the sleeping message. To save anyone else from searching through the user guide like I just did, the steps are:
Settings > System Management > Standby Screen

There are two options for the Standby Screen settings:
1) "Show picture" is what displays the pictures in sleep mode rather than a blank screen. Keep this one set to on.
2) "Show message" is what displays the wakeup message. Select off to make it go away.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #23
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks from me, too, eP!

Although in my specific case, the screen looks better with the message.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Thanks from me, too, eP!

Although in my specific case, the screen looks better with the message.
I had actually sized some of my photos so that silly message wouldn't block the image since I did not realize you could remove it!

Here's another tip someone might find useful. I used Photoshop Elements to resize my photos for the ereader screen since I have the 7" screen with the interesting aspect ratio. Been a long time since I converted a photo to black and white. I did not realize that under "Enhance > Convert to Black and White" you can select a style for conversions, i.e. Newspaper, Landscape, Portrait, Urbanscape. It varies the amount of red, blue, green channels to get different effects. I used that on my pics too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Thank you, Bookworm Girl, for writing out the steps. To be honest, I couldn't remember HOW to do it, only that I did it before.

And yes, taking some time to do a proper b&w conversion makes for a much better image. (well my wedding photos are ORIGINAL b&w! from b&w FILM!) In Photoshop I like to use LAB mode. You can google "b&w conversion lab mode" for various tutorials.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Here are the two I have on my reader now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	60822   Click image for larger version

Name:	curse_gravity.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	60823  
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #27
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony PRS-650
I use set of family pictures and couple landscapes taken on a holiday (attached). Should have re-sized the sea picture for 600x800 portrait, or just set width to 600 but it still looks ok because it gets centred on screen. Planning to add more when I got time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	footpath1.png
Views:	294
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	60835   Click image for larger version

Name:	porvoostreets1.png
Views:	337
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	60836   Click image for larger version

Name:	midsummersea1.png
Views:	291
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	60837  
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #28
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
A few days ago I copied a standby cover to the folder on my Sony 650, and left the three originals in place.

The new cover hasn't shown at all yet, though the three originals do show randomly. Is there something else I need to do to get the new one to appear?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #29
roobaroo
roobaroo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T1 (White)
I fiddled around and found that you have to go to the pictures-> Options -> Select standby Pictures. Select and click done.
roobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #30
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by roobaroo View Post
I fiddled around and found that you have to go to the pictures-> Options -> Select standby Pictures. Select and click done.
I'm sorry, I'm even more lost now.

I'm using the Sony Reader Software
I've clicked on Reader, then the down pointing triangle
I've clicked on Pictures, and can see all the pictures in the folder.

But I can't see any icon for Options at all, and can't find any way of bringing one up.

What I am I missing?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote