Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
ragarli
ragarli began at the beginning.

Device: iBookstore
Exporting text frame from InDesign to ePub

Hello fellow MobileReaders,

I'm having trouble using indesign to export inline text frames to epub without having them rasterize automatically.

I know it's possible, but I must be doing something wrong. Is there something special I need to be doing to not allow it to rasterize, or is there a resource to help me out?

The error message I am receiving is as follows:
The file was exported but one or more problems were detected:

Custom Layout settings in Object Export Options have not been honored for group children and inline objects.

Inline objects like text frames, groups etc. have been rasterized.
Best Regards,
Ragarli
ragarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
DAWaterfall
DAWaterfall began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is an intentional change in CC, but still not entirely satisfactory.

The problem is that HTML does not allow us to have live text (in a <div>) as a child of a Paragraph, which is exactly what an Inline is with respect to InDesign.

In order to leave the Inline within the Paragraph we have to turn it into an Image, which is what we do now. For true inline "glyphs" this is a fine solution. But of course not all Inlines in InDesign are small "glyphs", many of them can be intended to be full graphics.

Of course InDesign can't tell the difference between the two so we've elected to apply the following rule:

- If it is an "Inline" Anchored Object then we will keep it in the Paragraph and be forced to rasterize it.
- If it is a "Custom" or "Above Line" Anchored Object then we will remove it from the Paragraph and put it before (if the anchor is the first TextIndex of the Paragraph) or after.

We'd like to provide a control/option in a future update for designers to tell us to "treat Inline as if it was Custom" so that we'd be okay removing the Inline from the Paragraph.

Your option at this moment is to change the Anchored Object Position to "Above Line".

Douglas Waterfall
Architect, InDesign Engineering
DAWaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWaterfall View Post
The problem is that HTML does not allow us to have live text (in a <div>) as a child of a Paragraph, which is exactly what an Inline is with respect to InDesign.
No, but you can have a <span> and style it with "display:block", then it will behave exactly as a <div> (except for the other things it can contain, which can be dealt with in the same way).

Or maybe you want "display:inline-block" or something like that. The problem here is it may not work in ePub readers, since it is not required in ePub 2.0.1
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, indesign, inline, text frame