Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
"Shaky" JBL screen

Well, eleven year old daughter is now a thrilled twelve year old daughter ... I purchased a JBL from J&R Electronics back in March and her birthday was last week ... I'm not sure she has put it down!

One thing she has noticed ... the text on screen "quivers". I confirmed this when she showed it to me. I did some research and found that this is a known issue in bright, direct sunlight.

I told her to not read it in bright, direct sunlight (her bedroom window is right near her bed .. so afternoon sun) for a few days and then try it again to confirm that the lighting is the cause.

Well, it's been thunderstorm-y here in Kansas and she's been reading at school ... very few windows ... and still the "shaking" is noticeable.

So ... do I call J&R on Monday for a replacement? Return it completely and get her a Nook (do they still sell refurb for $99?) or a Kobo? Tell her to deal with it?

She does say she likes my Nook better, but she likes the weight and size of her JBL ... fits in her purse better.

Thoughts???

Susie in Kansas
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
When I had the JBL it even did it in indirect sunlight. I just never read it outside. I would call and see if they will replace it. If they won't call, Ectaco directly, or email them.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I would ask for a replacement. Ectaco replaced my first JBL without a problem, although I did have to pay the nine dollars to ship it to them.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
demingite
Connoisseur
demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro (gifted), Ectaco Jetbook Lite
Wow, I thought that it was just my eyes! I recently brought my JBL on vacation, and I noticed that in very bright light, the text seemed to vibrate on the screen. So, is this not true for all JBLs, just some?
demingite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I think that it is probably an issue, in very bright light, for all the ereaders that use this particular Toshiba 5" TFT Reflective Screen, but some of the screens seem to have
the problem in lessor conditions than others. For mine it takes bright sunlight to have it
show up, getting in the shade and finding a good orientation makes it go away, for me.

If you have one that is particularly susceptible to the problem, there is a good chance that a replacement won't be as bad.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote