Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
huckleberryfinn
huckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Wireless
Question Trouble adding books and PDFs to new wireless reader

Hello, apologies if this problem has come up on other posts but I can't find one specifically for a Kobo Wireless.

I received one as a gift and the hundred books are fine. But they also gave me an SD card with some other books on and none of them will load on. I realised the card was SD HC which won't work (?) so transferred them to my computer but they won't drag and drop.

I have tried using Calibre, ADE and just drag and drop to move the files. They show up on my PC in an explorer window (like they would on any drive) but not in the library of the reader when it is on. Except one, which is even weirder! And I don't know which method put it there.

Before it was given to me they tried to upload at least 8 books at once and possibly deleted the useless files. The reader also froze on me when I first got it (possibly reading from the SD card). I have it as I am working abroad, I can't return it since I'm not at home.

Calibre opens with this message:
Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.

And also gave me this when I tried to send it over as a specific format:
calibre, version 0.8.61
WARNING: No suitable formats: Could not upload the following books to the device, as no suitable formats were found. Convert the book(s) to a format supported by your device first.

Hope you can help! Having PDFs on there would be so hopeful for my work and also I'd just love it to work the way it is meant to! Fingers crossed there is a solution.

Last edited by huckleberryfinn; 08-09-2012 at 06:50 AM.
huckleberryfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
To get around that warning message:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
If you connect your KT to Calibre, then select 'Configure this device' from the drop-down menu on the right side of the 'Device' button, you'll get a 'Configure Kobo Reader' pop-up. Check 'Attempt to support new firmware' and 'OK'. Everybody who updates to firmware V2 is seeing that, but it doesn't seem to be a real issue.
But.... I just tried plugging MY WiFi in and did not get that error message....

What firmware IS your WiFi running please?

Last edited by PeterT; 08-09-2012 at 07:36 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But.... I just tried plugging MY WiFi in and did not get that error message....
Haven't you already done this for your Touch?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No i reset the options....
Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
huckleberryfinn
huckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura abouthuckleberryfinn has a spectacular aura about

Ah, well it does seem to have sorted the Calibre thing, the books in the main memory now show up there. Thanks.

Unfortunately still not showing in Library on the device (wireless not touch) when it is not attached to my computer...
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Do the books have DRM on them? If so, is the Kobo registered with the same Adobe ID as protects the books?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
huckleberryfinn

Hm, I'm not sure.
Some of the PDFs are one's I made myself. I only made the Adobe ID to set up ADE though, I make PDFs in open Office.

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
huckleberryfinn

Any idea how I check that out?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

OK.

I've jsut ensured my device was setup. If you go to Menu | Settings | General, it should say at the top "Account Info" and show an ID.

My device is also recognized by both Kobo Desktop and ADE.

Also, it should show a firmware level; I believe current is 1.9

If you like, send me one of the PDF's and I will see if I can read it.

AH.. Brain Fart...

ePubs and PDFs are shown in seperate areas on the WiFi!

On the home page, use the direction keys to navigate to the top bar "BOOKS | NEWS & MAGAZINES | DOCUMENTS | STORE".

I believe that you need to move to DOCUMENTS to see the PDFs.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Yes... from the manual
Quote:
  • To find books in EPUB format, look in your Books area
  • To find books in DRM protected PDF format, look in your Books area
  • To find books and documents in regular PDF format, look in your Documents area
  • To find newspapers and magazines, look in the News & Mags area
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

And another mystery solved...

As soon as you have run a current version of the Kobo Desktop again a Kobo WiFi, the DBVERSION and schema is changed on the WiFi!

So this means that YES the warning message WILL happen for a Kobo WiFi; I did NOT get it initially as I had NOT run Kobo Desktop with the WiFi attached.....