Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Reading Recommendation-Weird, Stange Books

Do not know if this has been asked about before, but every now and then I like to read weird, strange, and different books. So what I am looking for are the weirdest, strangest, oddest books you have ever read. They can be any genre. I do not care if they are dead tree or ebook either.

For example the two at the top of my list are Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon and The Enstein Intersection by Samuel R. Delaney.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
You could try The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
You could try books by China Miéville. Or Kelly Link. Or this one by Cory Doctorow. Or The Ant King.:
http://smallbeerpress.com/creative-commons/
Or some of the authors mentioned in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_fiction
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Do not know if this has been asked about before, but every now and then I like to read weird, strange, and different books. So what I am looking for are the weirdest, strangest, oddest books you have ever read. They can be any genre. I do not care if they are dead tree or ebook either.

For example the two at the top of my list are Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon and The Enstein Intersection by Samuel R. Delaney.
I haven't read The Einstein Intersection, and was initially prompted to say Dhalgren. Have you read it?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Codex Seraphinianus.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
David Lindsay's _A Voyage to Arcturus_ available in various versions here by Dr. Drib and mtravellerh

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Anything by Scarlett Thomas - esp. PopCo and The End of Mr. Y (say it out loud to get the pun) - she's a brilliant, quirky, mathematically based writer that can blend pop culture with Derrida and cryptography. Need I say more?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
durkinrobinson
Lovechild
durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and Everything is Illuminated.
durkinrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson, Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. Just read Perdido Street Station by Mieville, and it was very weird, but very enjoyable. And I'll throw out the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde too--not as weird as some others mentioned, but certainly highly imaginitive. Start with The Eyre Affair.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have not Read it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I haven't read The Einstein Intersection, and was initially prompted to say Dhalgren. Have you read it?

Cheers,
Marc
No have not read Dhalgren yet thanks for the headsup on it.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
ctol
Groupie

Thanks For The Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson, Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. Just read Perdido Street Station by Mieville, and it was very weird, but very enjoyable. And I'll throw out the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde too--not as weird as some others mentioned, but certainly highly imaginitive. Start with The Eyre Affair.
Thank you very much for the tips on the books
Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
HP Lovecraft's stuff is pretty wierd and unsettling. Depends how you feel about ancient slithering things from the deepest dark places in the ocean I guess.

Cthulthu f'tagn!
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
China Mieville is about the weirdest that I really enjoyed reading, so +1 for him.

Slightly lower on my enjoyment scale would be Deus Irae by Dick & Zelazny, two true titans of SF. Somehow their collaboration was just too... weird.

Also Robert Anton Wilson's 'Schrodinger's Cat' trilogy. I think my brain just isn't big enough for him.

Things I suffered through for school, like Joyce, are mostly repressed memories now.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
China Mieville

The New Life from Orhan Pamuk is pretty weird too but I can't speak for the english translation.

You can always read Ada or Ardor.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Breakfast fort Champions by Kurt Vonnegut is what comes to mind. Vonnegut is quite extra ordinary author but that one is one piece of weird book.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote