Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
weberr
New old guy
weberr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Sharing by email

I need help on using Sharing by email. I have verified that my Kindle Device Management page has my correct email address. And I have verified that calibre has my correct Kindle address. Yet I always get an IOerror message: Failed to send mail: error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')

No problems sending the book via USB.

Can someone explain what I'm missing here?
weberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberr View Post
I need help on using Sharing by email. I have verified that my Kindle Device Management page has my correct email address. And I have verified that calibre has my correct Kindle address. Yet I always get an IOerror message: Failed to send mail: error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')

No problems sending the book via USB.

Can someone explain what I'm missing here?
@weberr - which mail provider are you using - there are security related issues with Gmail that must addressed (in setup I think), and GMX has been intermittently disappearing from domain name servers for the last several months in various locations (the ones I know of in the US and Asia/Pacific).

If you're using either of them, do a search for it (ie 'Gmail' or 'GMX') in the calibre forums and you should find something. If your using GMX you could try another DNS provider or wait a few days. I don't pretend to understand the Gmail issues.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
weberr
New old guy

Thanks -- but I'm using Outlook with Verizon.net. No notices that Verizon.net has a problem with the book attachment nor any notice that an attempt was msde/
Old 03-14-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You HAVE configured calibre to use the correct settings for verizon?

You are supplying an SMTP host name, along with the port to connect to , any encryption method and any required userid / password?

See http://www.verizon.com/Support/Resid...sone/86782.htm
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
weberr
New old guy

1. No - I had not filled in the 'optional' data -- just told it which email address to use.

2. So filled in the 'optional' data (hostname, port, username, password, SSL). Only item I wasn't/isn't sure of is what to use as the hostname. So tried both pop.verizon.net (port 995) and smpt.verizon.net (port 465). Both returned errorgaierror: [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed
Advert
Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1. No - I had not filled in the 'optional' data -- just told it which email address to use.

2. So filled in the 'optional' data (hostname, port, username, password, SSL). Only item I wasn't/isn't sure of is what to use as the hostname. So tried both pop.verizon.net (port 995) and smpt.verizon.net (port 465). Both returned errorgaierror: [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed
@weberr - if that's truly what you entered (smpt) then that's probably what's wrong, should almost certainly be smtp.verizon.net

'smtp' is 'simple mail transport protocol'

BR
Old 03-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #7
weberr
New old guy

This dyslexic stuff is a bummer. All is well. Thanx for hanging in there with me.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:06 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
This dyslexic stuff is a bummer. All is well. Thanx for hanging in there with me.
Let me tell you, it gets even worse when dementia kicks in, not only do the fingers press the wrong keys, the brain tells them to type the wonk wrings wrong words

BR