Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #196
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Obviously I have no clue.

Issybird? Can you help out?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #197
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I am also at a loss. Issybird?
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #198
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've read the hints and I think I know the name of the author--Douglas Coupland--but I don't know the novel. Which is what I live about this thread, so many new books to read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #199
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Okay issybird is the winner here. Take it away. The book was Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture. I agree with some comments on Coupland, that he's a bit of a one-trick pony at times, but I love his work. He makes me laugh a lot.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #200
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From one of the funniest books in English:

"It was a perfect title, in that it crystallized the article's niggling mindlessness, its funereal parade of yawn-enforcing facts, the pseudo-light it threw upon non-problems."
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #201
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has a Wodehouse-ian syntax & vocabulary - but it's not Wodehouse - at least not any that I've read. More modern.
[methinks I'm going to discover a new "must read" book]
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #202
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
More modern.
Yes.

And, I hope so!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #203
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

"He was all ready to slink down to the phone when, returning to the bedroom, he again surveyed the mutilated bedclothes. They looked in some way unsatisfactory; he couldn't have said how. He went and locked the outer bathroom door, picked up the razor blade, and began again on the cirdumferences of the holes. This time he made jagged cuts into the material, little inlets form the great missing areas. Some pieces he almost severed. Finally he held the blade at right angles and ran it quickly round the holes, roughening them up. He stood back from his work and decided the effect was perceptibly better. The disaster now seemd much less obviously the work of man and might, for a few seconds, be put down to some fulminant dry rot or the ravages of a colony of moths."
Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #204
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Not even a nibble, eh?

The author's first novel, it made Time magazine's list of the 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005. I said it was modern but in fact it's older than I am.

Spoiler:
The author has an equally famous writer-son.

"Then there'd been that essay written for Welch by one of the Honours people, containing, in fact consisting of, abuse of a book on enclosures by, it transpired, one of Welch's own ex-pupils. 'I asked him who could possible have filled his head with stuff like that, you see, and he said it was all out of one of your lectures, Dixon. Well, I told him as tactfully as I could...' Much later Dixon had found out that the book in question had been written at Welch's suggestion and, in part, under his advice. These facts had been there for all to read in the Acknowledgments, but Dixon, whose policy it was to read as little as possible of any given book, never bothered with these,"
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #205
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I sort of cheated by looking up the Time Magazine list and using that and the other information to come up with this. I put it in a spoiler to allow more time for others to come up with the correct answer more honestly.

Spoiler:
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #206
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I was going to identify the author as one of the angry young men of the 50s, but since there hasn't been any guessing and Hamlet's got it, I think it's time to move on.

Over to Hamlet.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #207
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had no clue on this one.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #208
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I'm putting it on my TBR list - the excerpts are intriguing! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an ebook version.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #209
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

No, sadly. I wanted to nominate it for the bookclub for humor month, but couldn't. That's why we can't give up on pbooks just yet; too many mid and backlist gems which haven't been digitalized.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #210
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No, sadly. I wanted to nominate it for the bookclub for humor month, but couldn't. That's why we can't give up on pbooks just yet; too many mid and backlist gems which haven't been digitalized.
Yes far to many that are not eligible for Project Gutenberg treatment, but are not, and may never be, put into ebook form.

Anyway I am betting this one will go quick and easy.

"Apparently I lack some particular perversion which today's employer is seeking."