hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Issue closing ebook reader in Linux

Using 0.8.3

Symptom:-
Open a book by double clicking on it.
try to close the ebook and instead it closed calibre leaving the book open. (Using the close icon on the top of the book- ok if closed using ctrl-q)

system is
Mint 11 64bit
Nvidia closed driver
compiz active.
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This probably has something to do with the Unity interface, I certainly cannot replicate it on KDE.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
hairybiker
Banned

No unity in Mint 11, good old Gnome 2.32.

Further playing - it doesn't seem to have made the ebook the active window - it is visible and you can scroll through it but unless you click on it then the window controls pass to the active window - i.e. calibre.
Not seen this in previous versions.

(And since I tend to open the ebooks full screen I get the controls at the same place as the underneath one.)

Last edited by hairybiker; 05-31-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then I have no idea what could be causing it. You sure you clicked the correct close button?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
hairybiker
Banned

How many close buttons are there?
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairybiker View Post
Using 0.8.3

Symptom:-
Open a book by double clicking on it.
try to close the ebook and instead it closed calibre leaving the book open. (Using the close icon on the top of the book- ok if closed using ctrl-q)

system is
Mint 11 64bit
Nvidia closed driver
compiz active.
Did you un-set the focus from the book reader?
Ubuntu ctrl-Q closes the reader if it has focus and leaves Calibre running.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
hairybiker
Banned

No I didn't remove focus. I double clicked the book, scrolled down a few pages using the mouse wheel then tried to close it - it stayed open but calibre closed instead. Noticed this first earlier when I thought I couldn't close the book using the close button, then I saw that calibre had closed.

(I was basically just checking the layout of the book to see if it needed reformatting not reading it.)

I have verified this with several books and they are all the same.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairybiker View Post
No I didn't remove focus. I double clicked the book, scrolled down a few pages using the mouse wheel then tried to close it - it stayed open but calibre closed instead. Noticed this first earlier when I thought I couldn't close the book using the close button, then I saw that calibre had closed.

(I was basically just checking the layout of the book to see if it needed reformatting not reading it.)

I have verified this with several books and they are all the same.
Kovid will have to step in here. You might have a magic (bad) combination interaction.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm afraid I have no idea what could possibly cause calibre to close if you cick the close button of the ebook viewer. The view is launched as a separate process that cannot interact with calibre in any way.