Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Smile What was your 1st ebook?

My ebook collection is now bigger than what was eight months ago but still is fresh on my mind the feeling of downloading, reading and having my 1st ebook. At that tiime, it was for my Nook classic.

By the way, asking about new age of electronic paper and formats: ePUb, Mobi, etc. I had some PDFs already but honestly, was not the same experience.

Tell us during the new e-reader/tablet era, what was yours? Mine was "On Killing" ...

Last edited by jocampo; 02-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
From a Distance was my first one because it was free.

Evil Beside Her is the first one I bought.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
First ebook I downloaded: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. This was long before I got my ereader. I was surprised to see it offered for free so I had to snatch it up. I still haven't read it, though!

First ebook I read: The Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle. I downloaded it from the library. It's actually a terrible book. Oh well.

First ebook I paid for: Room by Emma Donogue. My first (and last!) impulse buy shortly after getting my reader. It is still the only ebook that I have paid more than $9.99 for.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I'm pretty sure my first e-book was the Booker-nominated Angels of Russia by Patricia le Roy, an independently published e-book from Online Originals. It's a very good book for those who may be interested in a less masculine espionage novel. That was back in about 2002.

http://www.onlineoriginals.com/showitem.asp?itemID=18
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I finished Conan Doyle's "A study in scarlet" in my smartphone just a few weeks ago, in ePub format.

Before that, I've been reading countless articles, short stories and user comments on the web for more than 14 years from the PC.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can't remember exactly. It was a Star Trek book from Peanut Press read on a Palm IIIxe, but the exact title has been lost to the ravages of time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I had been reading the paperback "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" when my K3 arrived in early Oct. I decided I would spring for the ebook version to see what it was like and finished reading on the k3. Second book was "Sleeping Doll" which I was also reading (both were being read on a camping trip prior to the K3). I was slightly aghast about the price of the 2nd - it was one of those "price set by publisher" and I have backed off on purchasing ever since.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Books from Baen's Free Library (which convinced me to by a handheld reader. The desktop CRT/LCD make for an awkward reader), then all the books on the Baen CD's
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Baby's first ebook

Maybe the thread should be what was the first book you read on an eink reader?

Mine was Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson. Pretty good book.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
My first direct (but free) download was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

My first paid download was The Female Man by Joanna Russ.

(I also had a ton of ebooks ready to go from Project Gutenberg even before my Kindle arrived; can't remember which one I actually uploaded first.)
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Not the best book to have as my first ebook, because it showed how lack of effort on the publisher's end can lead to a poor ebook. All the images were too low resolution so I couldn't make out the handwritten words on them even when viewing on my PC.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The first ebook I bought was A Life in Secrets, by Sarah Helm, the biography of spymistress Vera Atkins.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I've been reading books from Project Gutenberg since ... well, since before there was a Web, and you got them from Walnut Creek and read them on your computer. I honestly can't tell you what was the first book I read on my Sony PRS-505, but it was probably from the Baen Free Library -- I was using some of those books as "test books" to properly set up my transfers, etc., and I think I read one. Baen also holds the record for getting the most of my ebook money ... I can't seem to go near that site without leaving a large, whimpering hole in my wallet.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
The Works of Charles Dickens.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Agatha Christie's 'Murder on the Orient Express' was my first ebook. It was an Adobe Digital Edition and I had it for several years before I actually read it completely. I purchased it as an experiment to see if I was comfortable reading books on a monitor or notebook screen. I didn't enjoy the experience and did not finish the book until I purchased a dedicated device.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote