Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #691
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
If you get a chance to write a review on iTunes, that would be superdy duper cool of you.
done.....
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #692
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
done.....
Muchos Gracias
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #693
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Micah... (or anyone else)... Can you tell me please...

On my iPad, if my ebook css calls for Arial as it's font, and Bluefire Reader's "Formatting" "Font Face" is set to "Item's Default", will Bluefire display the iPads "Arial" font?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.....

UPDATE... I got this to work... included Arial fonts in css and proper descriptions and with font set to "Items Default" I am now getting Arial.....

Last edited by 1611mac; 11-06-2011 at 01:22 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #694
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Micah... (or anyone else)... Can you tell me please...

On my iPad, if my ebook css calls for Arial as it's font, and Bluefire Reader's "Formatting" "Font Face" is set to "Item's Default", will Bluefire display the iPads "Arial" font?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.....

UPDATE... I got this to work... included Arial fonts in css and proper descriptions and with font set to "Items Default" I am now getting Arial.....
Yes, we support embedded fonts. Handy for Asian languages and such.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #695
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Warning! I've heard reports that upgrading to iOS 5 will "blow away" your entire library. And I've head a report that it even blows away bookmarks/annotations. Anyone experienced that? Oh Apple, come on.
I upgraded to iOS5 without experiencing any such catastrophe. I keep my Buefire library quite lean though, and rely on Calibre2OPDS/DropBox to load the next book when I want to read it. So usually around a dozen books at most loaded. (I don't read a dozen at a time BTW)
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #696
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I upgraded to iOS5 without experiencing any such catastrophe. I keep my Buefire library quite lean though, and rely on Calibre2OPDS/DropBox to load the next book when I want to read it. So usually around a dozen books at most loaded. (I don't read a dozen at a time BTW)
Good to hear.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #697
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Micah: any chance you can allow user CSS? I found that by using the right text shadow value, I can make fonts much more readable to my eyes.

Stanza allows this indirectly by having external CSS and template HTML. Of course you need to jailbreak to access the files, but that's why I jailbreak and why I still cling to Stanza.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #698
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Micah: any chance you can allow user CSS? I found that by using the right text shadow value, I can make fonts much more readable to my eyes.

Stanza allows this indirectly by having external CSS and template HTML. Of course you need to jailbreak to access the files, but that's why I jailbreak and why I still cling to Stanza.
I'm not sure yet if we could do that. It is a bit of a geeky feature (in that the average person does not know how to write CSS). That said, there is a "user styles" CSS that provides default values in our app, so it might not be too hard to make that "swap-able". I'll look into it.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #699
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

I've gotten several reports that indicate that iOS 5 did *not* blow away their Blufire Reader library. Thats good. I'm still holding off on the update, hoping they smooth out a few things.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #700
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
I've gotten several reports that indicate that iOS 5 did *not* blow away their Blufire Reader library. Thats good. I'm still holding off on the update, hoping they smooth out a few things.
Not a bad idea. Apparently a new beta has been seeded (you got it yet) so when thats released perhaps we will be seeing a few bugs ironed out. For example the lag that comes to the 3GS after a few days of use. I've just had to reboot to be able to continue to use apps.

Also... there may be a Stanza update coming (and if it comes, and Amazon isnt just trying to make us go away) ... it will be the last one, ever. Might be worth having a look at that (if you havent already in the past) to see what we Stanza orphans are banging on about.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #701
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I'm not sure yet if we could do that. It is a bit of a geeky feature (in that the average person does not know how to write CSS). That said, there is a "user styles" CSS that provides default values in our app, so it might not be too hard to make that "swap-able". I'll look into it.
Typically supplying a default override CSS will allow even someone who is not to good at writing CSS to make a few changes to an existing file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #702
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Not a bad idea. Apparently a new beta has been seeded (you got it yet) so when thats released perhaps we will be seeing a few bugs ironed out. For example the lag that comes to the 3GS after a few days of use. I've just had to reboot to be able to continue to use apps.

Also... there may be a Stanza update coming (and if it comes, and Amazon isnt just trying to make us go away) ... it will be the last one, ever. Might be worth having a look at that (if you havent already in the past) to see what we Stanza orphans are banging on about.
Stanza might get fixed? Thats great. Where did you hear that?
-Micah
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #703
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Typically supplying a default override CSS will allow even someone who is not to good at writing CSS to make a few changes to an existing file.

Dale
The way our app works, we don't really have the ability to "strip" CSS, we can over-ride specific "known" tags. So we could hypothetically make a "default" over-ride sheet (and probably not that hard to make the "visible" in the file structure for power users to edit), but when the book used non-standard "named" selectors, or inline CSS it would still apply. Our default over-ride would be used when the user turns the "Use Publisher's Formatting" is turned off. And then the interface would essentially "edit" that over-ride CSS. Note that a more accurate label for that toggle switch would be "override publishers Formatting" - where "on" would be the equivalent of the current "off". That string does not fit though...
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #704
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Stanza might get fixed? Thats great. Where did you hear that?
-Micah
One of the fellows in the Revive Stanza facebook group received an email from Amazon support which indicated this. It will only be a fix for iOS5 and after that we would be on our own again.

screenie of the email is here along with all of our comments.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #705
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes I noticed that . I tried putting some test CSS in it but it just gets overwritten each time. For my own purpose, if you would just not overwrite the file but append/merge your default values with it, it'd work. I agree it's way too esoteric a feature for most users; if you do decide to support it, you can hide it deep under some advanced menu

Btw, you know how Stanza manages to let you choose any font in the system? I have not seen any other app of any type that does this.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote