Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Without Pixel Qi, the Apple iPad fails

What was the point of Apple waiting so long to release their tablet if it wasn't even to include the e-ink-killer Pixel Qi 3Qi screen?

Pixel Qi 3Qi has been confirmed to be in production now, so that should mean several competitors will be implementing it in cheaper Netbook/Tablet convertibles and the Apple iPad will look quite weak in comparison.

Not only in terms of readability, sunlight readability, also in terms of battery life, an ARM Powered product like the iPad could most surely achieve upwards 50 hours battery life with the Pixel Qi 3Qi screen in reflective mode since the LCD backlight is surely the single most power consuming component of the whole iPad.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Interesting point.

I would like it if the iPad had a pixel QI screen I guess, but it wont stop me buying an iPad.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
The screen tech and very poor battery life compared to e-ink is the main reason I will not buy the iPad or other similar tablet pc.s
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The screen tech and very poor battery life compared to e-ink is the main reason I will not buy the iPad or other similar tablet pc.s
The lack of video, web colour etc is teh reason I will have an iPad.

the battery life and sunlight visibility is teh reason I will be keeping my PRS300
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
What was the point of Apple waiting so long to release their tablet if it wasn't even to include the e-ink-killer Pixel Qi 3Qi screen?

Pixel Qi 3Qi has been confirmed to be in production now, so that should mean several competitors will be implementing it in cheaper Netbook/Tablet convertibles and the Apple iPad will look quite weak in comparison.

Not only in terms of readability, sunlight readability, also in terms of battery life, an ARM Powered product like the iPad could most surely achieve upwards 50 hours battery life with the Pixel Qi 3Qi screen in reflective mode since the LCD backlight is surely the single most power consuming component of the whole iPad.
To be honest, i was sure that Apple would have implemented Pixel Qi in it's tablet. I could have bet on it after the announcement of McGraw-Hill's CEO. But now I have to say I am very disappointed by the product.

I am disappointed with Apple as much as I am disappointed with Plastic Logic. Thinking about it, they both spent ages in product development and missed very important requirements of their users.

For Plastic Logic, they missed a good price, stylus input, SD card slot....etc and a much earlier release date that will allow early adopters to get the device and be happy with it.

Apple missed the Pixel Qi screen, and haven't really done anything new except develop a bigger iPhone or iPod touch.

I think Sony might introduce a newer 12" screen eInk reader that will solve most issues for me
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The thread title is quite funny. 99% of consumers (you know, the people that buy stuff) would not even know what a "pixel qi" screen is, or even care. If you care to wager by all means lets bet on whether the iPad will "fail" or not.

@stustaff While I agree with you, I must admit I do not understand the infatuation folks have with reading in direct sunlight. Here in Texas the last place I want to be on a Sunday afternoon is setting out in the sun. Now under a shade tree is fine, but it's HOT here! I never would have thought that people spend so much of their time setting in lawn chairs in direct sunlight. Before I got my 300, I would often sit in the backyard (weather permitting) reading ebooks on my laptop or PDA. They worked fine under the shade tree, and the iPhone worked even better (except for the tiny screen). Have to say on the battery life that I will wait and see. If it can really get 9-10 hours battery life, in real life, that will be fine. I can charge it at night, and I never read 10 hours in one day anyway. But if the battery life is like most laptops, or horror of horrors like my iPhone, than forget it.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Here in the UK, it was rumoured that the sun came out once last summer, but it was only an aerial porcine.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Here in the UK, it was rumoured that the sun came out once last summer, but it was only an aerial porcine.
Germany.. Ditto.

Seriously, my grandad was from Galveston, and I would visit in the summer, so I know I would not want to read there outside in the summer. But here, in Europe, in many areas, the summer - or the 1 week of combination of warm AND sunny weather - is short, not that sunny, not that hot, and the only time when one can indeed read comfortably outside. I did not enjoy reading on my iphone last august, so I bought my first ereader. It was great, but of course, by then, there was only 1 day of good weather left .

But anyway, due to geographical restrictions (again), the ipad won't probably work as an ereader for us in the rest of the world in the next few years, so whatever we think about it, we won't have a choice.

Last edited by aceflor; 01-29-2010 at 07:46 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Up here in North Dakota sitting in partial or full sun while reading is a great way to soak the winter cold out of your bones. Especially in May and June. Come July and August i'm usually looking for shade. I think a lot of devices just don't handle the increased light levels and glare well. Not that I wouldn't use a device that I couldn't read outside. But it would be a mark against it in my opinion.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Here in Jordan, the sun is out 99% of the time
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #11
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The primary issue was probably one of availability. With screens only coming into production now I doubt PixelQi could have guaranteed Apple the quantity of screens they'd want. Secondly, I'm not at all sure that Jobs would have been happy with the small sacrifices that had to be made for colour rendition. He'll have wanted a bright, vivid display, which makes sense, since watching movies is a major selling point.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I can't read paper books in direct sunlight without getting eye cancer.
And even if I wear sunglasses, I'll still get a boiling brain along with skin cancer.
So direct-sunlight-reading is one of the last things I am bound to do
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
The thread title is quite funny. 99% of consumers (you know, the people that buy stuff) would not even know what a "pixel qi" screen is, or even care. If you care to wager by all means lets bet on whether the iPad will "fail" or not.
Your comment is quite funny since this post was aimed at folks reading Mobileread. I venture to guess that at least 60% of us here at this site have heard of this technology.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-29-2010 at 08:44 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I think its an aesthetic decision. Steve Jobs would rather have a gorgeous full color, responsive display with limited battery life and wide functionality, than a merely decent color display with incredible battery life and optimized for reading. Just my guess.

I think the PixelQ tech is amazing, and hope Jepsen puts it on a bunch of devices. I'm just not sure Apple is the right fit for that kind of tech. My bet is AMOLED is Apple's next screen tech.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
@stustaff While I agree with you, I must admit I do not understand the infatuation folks have with reading in direct sunlight. ...

...If it can really get 9-10 hours battery life, in real life, that will be fine. I can charge it at night, and I never read 10 hours in one day anyway. But if the battery life is like most laptops, or horror of horrors like my iPhone, than forget it.
While most don't read for 10 hours straight, many do enjoy taking their readers on trips, camping, etc. I love that I can take my reader with me (an old ebookwise that gets about 15 hrs for me) on a camping trip and have it last the whole time without needing a charge...well, actually, over 3 days, it usually will need one, but about 15 minutes gives it several hours of boost.

As for the sun - I read mine at the beach, on the deck, under all sorts of conditions. I even have a cheap coleman waterproof map case I toss it in when I'm near water that might get splashed. I take it everywhere.

The iPad, for me, is close, but not close enough. I was aiming for at least similar battery life to my current device. I do want to be able to read under any lighting conditions, including the dark (like my current device). And I do want to have PDA+ functionality that actually works while allowing installation of ANY programs/media I want. So, as they say, close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and dancing. So much for the iPad finally tempting me to get an Apple product.

It'll sell like hotcakes though!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote