Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #106
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I know people who will set up in a coffee shop or restaurant for a day of reading. They will buy coffee occasionally and enjoy reading their books. Lunch time, people pour him, they'll sit there oblivious at a table for four while people are waiting to be seated. No, I don't mind if the management tells them to take a hike.

For me, it would be more reasonable to say no computers, books, etc. between 11-3 and 5-7:30 or whatever times are appropriate for their business. I don't know if their attorneys would allow that, though.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #107
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Subvert away. In such a case, I just vote with my money. If business owners wanna risk their business, that's their choice.
That's fine where money is a factor. But sometimes it's not. Take smoking bans. They are Dope Rules. You can't take your money elsewhere. The government's in your way.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #108
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
That's fine where money is a factor. But sometimes it's not. Take smoking bans. They are Dope Rules. You can't take your money elsewhere. The government's in your way.
I try not to lump together disparate things. Government stripping us of civil rights, for instance, is distinctly different from a business acting on its own judgment and risking its own future. As long as it follows laws, I don't care to subvert.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 08-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #109
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Smoking bans are doperules how?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #110
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Take smoking bans. They are Dope Rules.
I now assume by dope rules this means any rules that you personally disagree with. I quite like being able to go out for a drink or a meal and not have be forced to put up with others bad habits. I don't honestly care whether they live shorter lives just as long as I don't have to contribute towards their health care.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I now assume by dope rules this means any rules that you personally disagree with. I quite like being able to go out for a drink or a meal and not have be forced to put up with others bad habits. I don't honestly care whether they live shorter lives just as long as I don't have to contribute towards their health care.
Hear hear. I have no objection whatsoever to someone sitting alongside me in a restaurant injecting themselves with heroin - that's their personal choice, and doesn't affect me. But if they smoke that DOES affect me, and I don't like it at all.

I never used to go into pubs here in Britain because they were full of smoke, and within a minute of going in, my eyes would be watering, and my throat sore. Now they are smoke free they are much more pleasant places.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #112
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hear hear. I have no objection whatsoever to someone sitting alongside me in a restaurant injecting themselves with heroin - that's their personal choice, and doesn't affect me. But if they smoke that DOES affect me, and I don't like it at all.
I might mind the heroin if an overdose tied up my waiter, lol. I agree about smoking -- your personal liberties end where they infringe on others'.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #113
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
This article reminds me back in 2000-01 there was a ban on reading the free newspapers in coffee shops in Seattle, Washington.

Possibly they will give into the pressures of no one being there. If it is because someone is sitting there surfing/reading long after they have finished their coffee and muffin then perhaps it is time to allow someone else to sit there to allow them to enjoy their drink and meal. These places are in the business of selling. Loitering in an establishment does not pay the bills and rent. However, they should be up front with this and tell you to either buy more or move along. Perhaps set a sign out that says, 30 minutes parking limit?

Seth Williams,
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #114
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I would suggest ejectable seats. The table could include an electronic display, with a time count down: "XXX seconds for ejection". The last 60 seconds could have a sound alarm, so that more distracted custumers had the time to get out or maybe insrt a few coins for a few more minutes.

Just like we don't like to be treated as potential criminals when publishers put DRM on their ebooks, I don't like to be labeled as potential table hogger just because I pull out a Kindle while eating my lunch.

I know civilty and courtesy are rarer these days, but there should be another solution than just "no computers". Maybe the waitress could gently ask if they have anything else to order, and if not, ask gently to liberate the table for other customers.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #115
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
If they ban computers at that table during that time-frame, I would sit down with an abacus and see how many digits of pi I could get to in that 3-hour window
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #116
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
If they ban computers at that table during that time-frame, I would sit down with an abacus and see how many digits of pi I could get to in that 3-hour window
carry one with you often do you?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #117
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
carry one with you often do you?
You mean to imply that everyone doesn't?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #118
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
You mean to imply that everyone doesn't?

*snort*!!! but in all fairness it needs to be big and intrusive!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #119
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
*snort*!!! but in all fairness it needs to be big and intrusive!
Yes, I stand corrected.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #120
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrickh View Post
True story: I was at a Caribou Coffee in Chicago. This girl comes in with her messenger bag, pulls out her laptop, her iPod and her phone and turns them all on and starts to get busy with whatever it was she was going to do.

Then she pulls out a bottle of iced tea, a sandwich and some chips - all not purchased from there.

I actually got up, went over to her table and said "Seriously? Don't be such a leech - buy something!" She told me to f*ck off. Since she wasn't so quiet about it (and other people around had heard me tell her to buy something too), others basically told her the same. She ended up leaving, rather than simply spending a buck on a cup of coffee.

If you spend any amount of time in coffee shops, you'll see people taking advantage of the shop's services.

R.
==
A lot of cafes in London have signs up saying the seating is only for patrons who have boght items from the place that owns the seats (can't remember the wording, but that is the jist of it).
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote