Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me simplify my techie life

Hi everyone!

I am trying to simplify my techie life a little and so far, it is going well. My numerous blog visits have been vastly streamlined by my discovery of rss feeds, and I am using Google Docs to store schedules, notes and other things I often reference. I am also using drop box to back up all my files. I feel slime I have things in hand regarding things like backups automating themselves wuwnder this system and most of my on-line life seems to centralized in drop box and Google (calendar and contacts are automatically synccing to iPad from there too and I can access nearly everything I own from school or home computer via the cloud or on the iPad where it all syncs)

So first a general question- does this all sound good? Work on ipad or computer, backup to Google Docs and dropbox without needing to think about it? I do not always have wifi access so I like being able to bring ipad and work on it too.

Second question concerns email. I want to get a new, more adult email address to use instead of the one I have now, but there are two issues.

1- I do not want to use my last name. It is identifiable and I am okay with the new address having my first name, but not both. So, any suggestions for coming up with a new more adult sounding email without using my name?

2- I am loathe to move from my existing Google account since I have a ton of stuff (docs and calendar, contacts plus iGoogle home and rss feeds) and it would take forever to set it ups again. I know there is a way to have morenthan one email associated with your gmail account. Ideally, what I would like to do is this: log in under my current familiar name and get access to both accounts. Old familiar name will just be the log in name but all the people who email me would send it to new name at gmail and there it would be. And if I write hen back, it would show up as coming from new name. Is this doable? Is it hard to set up? Any suggestions to make this whole transition easier?

I welcomed any help and advice.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am using Google Docs to store schedules, notes and other things I often reference.
He who relies on cloud computing for document storage will someday be without his documents.
== ancient Chinese saying
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well, they all store locally on the iPad too. I just like being able to access them on the go and to be able to update them and never have to worry about synccing or transferring back later because they will always fix themselves.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote