Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
mousetater
mousetater began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
All My Books Disappeared

I am fairly new to using Calibre, and so far only use it to side-load books to my Nook and keep track of all books (even those directly loaded to the Nook from B&N.

Today I was playing around in the program to get to know what it could do. Something I did make all the books in my list disappear. The side window that lists Authors, Series, Formats, etc. all show 0 books for each category. But there is a blue box near the top of the screen that says "Library 87 Books".

Can anyone suggest how I might have made this happen (so I don't do it again), and how I can get all the books to appear again - hopefully without having to reload each book again and adding/editing tags.

Thanks in advance.
mousetater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you simply tried clicking on the Library icon to make sure that it is the library you are actually looking at?

Also make sure that you have not got something in the Search box that is filtering out your books from being visible (hit the 'x' alongside to clear the Search).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you post a screenshot of calibre, it will make it easier to find the problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
mousetater

Thanks for the quick responses. I have tried clicking on the blue Library 87 books box. Even though mousing over the box says "Click to see the books available on your computer. Books located at...", nothing happens when I click it.

I have also shut down Calibre and re-opened it, thinking that could clear its memory. Didn't work.

Here is the requested screenshot. (I am sure it is a "dumb user" thing.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_screenshot_small.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	55927  
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm nothing obvious there. First thing to do is update calibre to 0.7.10 (preferably do an uninstall followed by a reinstall) and dont worry doing that wont cause you to lose your books/settings.
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
mousetater

Will do the upgrade and let you know if that solves the problem.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Looks like there's a restriction set.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Oh yeah, I missed that. @mousetater: clear the box to the left of the search bar
Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetater View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I have tried clicking on the blue Library 87 books box. Even though mousing over the box says "Click to see the books available on your computer. Books located at...", nothing happens when I click it.

I have also shut down Calibre and re-opened it, thinking that could clear its memory. Didn't work.

Here is the requested screenshot. (I am sure it is a "dumb user" thing.)
Note the Yellow 0 of 0. You have some sort of "advanced.." filter in effect.

Last edited by theducks; 07-30-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: color bad
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
mousetater

Saw the latest posts while reinstalling Calibre. The reinstallation solved the problem. Mostly likely because it cleared out that search you mentioned. I was trying the search feature and must have done something squirrely.

Thanks for all the help, and especially the quick responses.

One last question. Is there any way to print out the Calibre database, or export the data to something like Excel? I want to clean up my tags and need to check for consistency in wording. It would be easier for me if I could print it out rather than working in a scrolling window.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the disappearing books problem.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetater View Post
export the data to something like Excel?
Right click a book, Convert, Create Catalog, choose CSV, open it with Excel.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You can create a Catalog of all your books in .CSV format.
  1. Make sure you do not have any searches in effect.
  2. Click the arrow to the right of the [Convert] button. Select the last option.
  3. Choose CSV as the Catalog format. Click on the CSV/XML tab and select which fields you want to export. Select the output location on your PC.

...Voila

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-30-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Too late! Starson got there first.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
mousetater

Starson17 and Jackie_W

Thanks a lot. Just what I was looking for!