Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
aspweb
aspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Fix your Sony PRS-505 Reader Library software!

Has your Sony Reader Library software stopped working again?

Are you tired of dealing with Sony's helpless support staff?

Are you running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Are you using a Sony Portable Reader System PRS-505 ?

Read this to learn how to fix the problem and beat the frustration I am sure you will experience if you haven't already!

My wife has had ths problem many times. It is frustrating beyond imagination. Like many of you have stated yourselves, she simply wants to download books and read. A device of this nature from a company like Sony should simply work without breaking everytime there is a new update.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I am a seasoned programmer and own a web hosting company. Needless to say, I am an expert with computers and this problem has frustrated me! I can only imagine how frustrating this is to a non technical computer user that simply expects to download a book and read it. I feel your pain, so although I don't use a reader or read non technical books, I decided to join ths group to help you all avoid the frustration of this problem, including the wasted hours on the phone wih Sony's support.

I am sure many of you have come across the Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention) fix. If you haven't, don't worry, you're about to learn.

To learn what DEP is, click here. To learn how to control (enable or disable DEP) click here

For those that are familiar with the DEP fix, I'll save you time and you can avoid listening to my endless drivel. The fat and skinny is simple. You must do it again! That's right, when your Sony Library software is updated and stops working, you must add the new software to the DEP exclusion list. DEP is there for your protection and will not let the new software be excluded without your explicit permission, even if you already excluded the previous version. DEP checks the version!

It's that simple, add the new Sony sotware to the DEP exclusion list. (Note - I tried to remove the old software version and even though it appeared to be removed, after the reboot, it was back in the exclusion list. Don't worry about it!)

Here's how:

( Windows Vista )

note - you must be logged into your computer as an Administrator to make these changes

1) Click the START button
2) Right click COMPUTER
3) Click Properties
4) Click Advanced System Settings
5) Click the Advanced Tab if not already open to it
6) In the Performance section click Settings
7) Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
8) Ensure the radio button "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" is selected. If not, select it.

If you already have eBook Library.exe in the exclusion list, you can select it and click the Remove button, however, for my wifes PC it came back after a reboot, but don't worry about it because it isn't important. What is important is that you add the new version of Sony Library software.

9) Click Add - which opens an OPEN dialog box
10) In the \Program Files\Sony\Reader folder, select Reader Library
11) Click Open - which adds it to the DEP list named Reader Library
12) Click Apply - which opens a dialog saying you must restart your machine for changes to take effect. Click OK
13) Click OK
14) Click OK
15) Close your MyCompter dialog box

Restart your computer.

This corrected my wifes issue and after the reboot she was immediately able to open the new Sony Library software (Version 3.1.00.12040), connect her e-Reader and begin downloading and reading books.

I'll try to come back and create a Windows XP Version of these instructions as soon as one of my techs that has the reader verifies it works on Windows XP.

This article explains how to manually make the changes in Windows XP. Here are the steps for those that (don't like to read...LOL) and just want the short cut. Technical stuff silly, I know you like to read!

( Windows XP )

1) Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

Note - If you don't have the Run feature on your start menu, you can enable it in the task bar settings or I believe you can right click the My Computer icon on your desktop, then click properties on the sub menu to get to the same place.

2) On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3) On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures:
4) Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy.
5) Click Add to add the programs (Reader Library) that you do not want to use the DEP feature.
6) Click OK two times.

I hope this helps.

David Kopacz, CTO
ASPwebhosting.com

[keywords] Sony eBook Reader Library software stopped working PRS-505

Last edited by aspweb; 12-17-2009 at 09:45 PM.
aspweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
dhvisdak
dhvisdak began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thanks

This quick fix also works for Win7 - I had been having the notorious "Failiure to Launch" problem and noticed your post.

Thank you.
dhvisdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
MJH
MJH began at the beginning.

Device: MOT SURE ITS MY WIFES
I tried all of the above and it didn't work.

Any ideas?
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
aspweb
aspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I tried all of the above and it didn't work.

Any ideas?
Please provide more information. What OS version and service pack are you using? What version of Reader Library are you using? Do you have the latest firmware on the reader?

When you followed the above steps, did you restart your computer? If so, did you go back and check to see if your program was listed in the DEP exclusion list? If so, what did it call the program in the list, eBook Library.exe or Reader Library?

Had you previously performed the DEP exclusion before today? If so, try turning off the DEP exclusion list altogether...

On the DEP tab select the radio button labeled:

Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only

Restart the computer, then perform the steps listed in my original post.

Let me know if this works and I will modify the instructions above.

David Kopacz, CTO
ASPwebhosting.com

Last edited by aspweb; 12-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
MJH
MJH began at the beginning.

Device: MOT SURE ITS MY WIFES
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspweb View Post
Please provide more information. What OS version and service pack are you using? What version of Reader Library are you using? Do you have the latest firmware on the reader? We have Windows XP and the latest version of Reader Library as I just reinstalled from the Sony site today

When you followed the above steps, did you restart your computer? If so, did you go back and check to see if your program was listed in the DEP exclusion list? If so, what did it call the program in the list, eBook Library.exe or Reader Library? Yes I restarted and when I went back it said Reader Library

Had you previously performed the DEP exclusion before today? If so, try turning off the DEP exclusion list altogether...I tried that as well and it did not work either
On the DEP tab select the radio button labeled:

Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only

Restart the computer, then perform the steps listed in my original post.
...I tried that as well and it did not work either

Let me know if this works and I will modify the instructions above.

David Kopacz, CTO
ASPwebhosting.com
Thanks
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
aspweb

If you are still having problems after adding the Reader to the DEP, I would suggest that you temporarily disable any software firewall, antivirus and malware programs ( Windows Firewall, McAfee, Norton, SpyBot, OneCare, Defender etc. ) in order to determine if they are having an effect on your ability to use the program.

It is likely that some program on your computer is blocking this software from accessing the Internet.

Let me know if turning off these protection programs fixes the problem, then we can dig deeper into exactly what they are blocking (i.e port, protocol).

David Kopacz
ASPwebhosting.com
Old 12-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
mattress
mattress began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hi guys.

I have just bought a Sony 505 for the wife and it seems a fine machine. The only weakness that's obvious to me is the software that comes with it. Can anyone recommend the best software available for ebook organisation?? I am not just looking for free software and don't mind having to fork out for something that does the job.

Many thanks

M

***I just realised that this wasn't the best place to post this! Apologies.

Last edited by mattress; 12-23-2009 at 01:27 PM.
mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #8
wardhead
wardhead began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket reader and tapwave zodiac
I'm having the same problem 5 months later. I was able to install the Reader Library on my W7-32 Pro machine and it worked. But as soon as I installed the latest version, the program refuses to start unless I use "run as administrator." I tried adding the Reader and the Reader launcher to the DEP without any effect.
wardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
plyy
plyy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
for the PRS-300, we had a similiar problem where it stopped working all of a sudden. The installer never finished.. complained about the Adobe Digital Editions running, even though it`s not installed on the system. anyways to make a long story short, we ended up deleting all the user`s application data in WinXP. This allowed the Reader to launch and recreate the user application data. There`s a similar thread posting about Win Vista and Windows 7, so I just want to say the same solution works for Win XP as well, in case this helps future users.
plyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Mccs
Mccs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
I also can't open the reader library. Tried this but it didn't work

Tried what you suggested but my reader library still won't open. Any other ideas? I'm just about to toss my Sony e-reader and get an i-pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspweb View Post
Has your Sony Reader Library software stopped working again?

Are you tired of dealing with Sony's helpless support staff?

Are you running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Are you using a Sony Portable Reader System PRS-505 ?

Read this to learn how to fix the problem and beat the frustration I am sure you will experience if you haven't already!

My wife has had ths problem many times. It is frustrating beyond imagination. Like many of you have stated yourselves, she simply wants to download books and read. A device of this nature from a company like Sony should simply work without breaking everytime there is a new update.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I am a seasoned programmer and own a web hosting company. Needless to say, I am an expert with computers and this problem has frustrated me! I can only imagine how frustrating this is to a non technical computer user that simply expects to download a book and read it. I feel your pain, so although I don't use a reader or read non technical books, I decided to join ths group to help you all avoid the frustration of this problem, including the wasted hours on the phone wih Sony's support.

I am sure many of you have come across the Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention) fix. If you haven't, don't worry, you're about to learn.

To learn what DEP is, click here. To learn how to control (enable or disable DEP) click here

For those that are familiar with the DEP fix, I'll save you time and you can avoid listening to my endless drivel. The fat and skinny is simple. You must do it again! That's right, when your Sony Library software is updated and stops working, you must add the new software to the DEP exclusion list. DEP is there for your protection and will not let the new software be excluded without your explicit permission, even if you already excluded the previous version. DEP checks the version!

It's that simple, add the new Sony sotware to the DEP exclusion list. (Note - I tried to remove the old software version and even though it appeared to be removed, after the reboot, it was back in the exclusion list. Don't worry about it!)

Here's how:

( Windows Vista )

note - you must be logged into your computer as an Administrator to make these changes

1) Click the START button
2) Right click COMPUTER
3) Click Properties
4) Click Advanced System Settings
5) Click the Advanced Tab if not already open to it
6) In the Performance section click Settings
7) Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
8) Ensure the radio button "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" is selected. If not, select it.

If you already have eBook Library.exe in the exclusion list, you can select it and click the Remove button, however, for my wifes PC it came back after a reboot, but don't worry about it because it isn't important. What is important is that you add the new version of Sony Library software.

9) Click Add - which opens an OPEN dialog box
10) In the \Program Files\Sony\Reader folder, select Reader Library
11) Click Open - which adds it to the DEP list named Reader Library
12) Click Apply - which opens a dialog saying you must restart your machine for changes to take effect. Click OK
13) Click OK
14) Click OK
15) Close your MyCompter dialog box

Restart your computer.

This corrected my wifes issue and after the reboot she was immediately able to open the new Sony Library software (Version 3.1.00.12040), connect her e-Reader and begin downloading and reading books.

I'll try to come back and create a Windows XP Version of these instructions as soon as one of my techs that has the reader verifies it works on Windows XP.

This article explains how to manually make the changes in Windows XP. Here are the steps for those that (don't like to read...LOL) and just want the short cut. Technical stuff silly, I know you like to read!

( Windows XP )

1) Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

Note - If you don't have the Run feature on your start menu, you can enable it in the task bar settings or I believe you can right click the My Computer icon on your desktop, then click properties on the sub menu to get to the same place.

2) On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3) On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures:
4) Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy.
5) Click Add to add the programs (Reader Library) that you do not want to use the DEP feature.
6) Click OK two times.

I hope this helps.

David Kopacz, CTO
ASPwebhosting.com

[keywords] Sony eBook Reader Library software stopped working PRS-505
Mccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattress View Post
Hi guys.

I have just bought a Sony 505 for the wife and it seems a fine machine. The only weakness that's obvious to me is the software that comes with it. Can anyone recommend the best software available for ebook organisation?? I am not just looking for free software and don't mind having to fork out for something that does the job.

Many thanks

M

***I just realised that this wasn't the best place to post this! Apologies.
No worries. Have you looked into calibre? There is a very active calibre user forum here on Mobile Read. Many users there have said they prefer calibre over the Sony software.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #12
mattress
mattress began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
No worries. Have you looked into calibre? There is a very active calibre user forum here on Mobile Read. Many users there have said they prefer calibre over the Sony software.
I should have reported back earlier!

I have been using Calibre since shortly after making my original post. A great, easy to use piece of software that makes Sony's offering look even worse.

May I suggest that anyone who has been having problems with their e-reader to jump over to Calibre.

Oh, MCCS, don't bother getting the ipad for viewing ebooks - it's not very good and the slightest bit of natural light makes the screen unreadable - useless outside.
mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:09 PM   #13
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm trying to back up my annotations from my Sony PRS-350 and the Sony Reader Library and Desktop Reader software stopped communicating with my Mac in about 2015 (I've been using Calibre since).

I installed those old programs on my Windows XP machine, and they detect the reader, but when I try to sync I get an error:

"Reader Library has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

When I examine the crash report it seems to be graphics related.

I just want to back up all the extensive highlights from my library. Calibre has an add-on called "Annotations" but it has an error when communicating with my Sony Reader..
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:46 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm trying to back up my annotations from my Sony PRS-350 and the Sony Reader Library and Desktop Reader software stopped communicating with my Mac in about 2015 (I've been using Calibre since).

I installed those old programs on my Windows XP machine, and they detect the reader, but when I try to sync I get an error:

"Reader Library has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

When I examine the crash report it seems to be graphics related.

I just want to back up all the extensive highlights from my library. Calibre has an add-on called "Annotations" but it has an error when communicating with my Sony Reader..
I suggest you post in the Annotations plugin thread. You'll need to give your OS, Calibre version, and error messages, and any other relevant information.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=241206
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:39 AM   #15
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you post in the Annotations plugin thread. You'll need to give your OS, Calibre version, and error messages, and any other relevant information.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=241206
Thank you for the suggestion, I posted there.
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote